View Single Post
Unregistered 04:59 PM 11-01-2010
While I agree that this might be a racist situation, allow me to present another point of view. I live in a neighborhood with a home daycare. It is right on the corner of a busy street and our residential street. The curbs near the daycare are painted red (no stopping any time) because the turns are blind - you can't see around the houses. The "customers" never park in the driveway, they park on the red-painted curb. You come around the corner and there is an SUV illregally parked that you nearly rear-ended, with a person standing on the street side putting their kid in the car. Yikes! The city just posted 5 "NO U-TURN" signs on my residential street and painted a double yellow line up the street, and put up a NO OUTLET sign, yet I was nearly hit today by a daycare customer U-turner. The day-care operator doesn't think this is her problem at all. Someone is going to get hit, maybe killed. And since it is her given right to earn a living out of her home, all we can do is call the police and get the day care customers ticketed for illegal parking, turning and driving.

So my question is - do we get to go to THEIR neighborhoods and drive in such a way as to endanger their familes? Or do we simply wait for someone to get killed? Wondering if today will be the day isn't the most restful way to spend your down time at home. Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and someone will just get hurt (not killed), and then SOMETHING might finally happen to create a safe situation.

Good neighbors go two ways. Tell your customers to respect your neighbors and your neighborhood, park legally, drive legally and carefully. Enforce it. Don't let them park, even for minute, in or in front of your neighbors driveway, trash cans or mailbox. Ask them to park in your driveway first, and then legally on the curb if no space in the driveway is available. Don't let them park in the red zones or in front of fire hydrants with their emergency blinkers going. Don't let them throw their car trash on your street (yes, amazing that this happens). While you might have the right to have a home day care, your neighbors shouldn't have to suffer for it.