View Single Post
Zoe 08:24 AM 07-15-2011
I think the basics of this article are okay. Simply put, sometimes the best thing you can do is remain calm and pick your battles. I'm not saying let your kids do whatever they want! But I've witnessed my husband putting our kids to bed and he nitpicks everything they do, whether it's decent or naughty behavior, and he does it in an over-reacting kind of manner. By the end of the night, usually both kids are crying or having a fit.

I pointed this out to him and he tried remaining calm and thinking about what the kids are actually doing. Are they just being silly kids or are they doing something naughty? Bedtime has become a better routine and honestly, the kids are better behaved because Daddy is in a better mood.

I've never tried the time-in thing and I don't think it would work for me. Whenever a child has done something that warrants a time out, I'm usually upset by the behavior and need a time out from the child so that I can calm down. No, it doesn't really teach them anything, which is why I take the time to talk to the child about their behavior AFTERWARDS.