Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tall Gate? HELP!
jojosmommy 11:20 AM 09-16-2013
Anyone use an extra tall gate? My own DD has serious issues staying in her room. She is toddler age, and escapes both at nap and night. She can climb over her gate in a second, she is very tall and has always been a climber.

Some people have suggested locking her door from the outside. I am against this idea for many reasons as is my husband so please dont suggest that.

Babiesrus has a 41 inch tall gate. Anyone have this? We are considering this or an interior screen door, fully mounted on the outside of her existing door. Thus, she could see out but not escape.

I need ideas, advice.
jojosmommy 11:22 AM 09-16-2013
Should add that we have done the nanny p11 put her in over and over and over without saying anything for two solid very consistent weeks. Its like starting over everyday. She isnt getting it with my typical methods.
Cradle2crayons 11:24 AM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
Anyone use an extra tall gate? My own DD has serious issues staying in her room. She is toddler age, and escapes both at nap and night. She can climb over her gate in a second, she is very tall and has always been a climber.

Some people have suggested locking her door from the outside. I am against this idea for many reasons as is my husband so please dont suggest that.

Babiesrus has a 41 inch tall gate. Anyone have this? We are considering this or an interior screen door, fully mounted on the outside of her existing door. Thus, she could see out but not escape.

I need ideas, advice.
At our old house..... We had the same problem with our daughter. We ended up buying a cheapo wooden door, removing her door entirely. We cut the new wooden door in half. I say half but it was about chest high for a grown up. And we mounted that door where her old door went. the bottom two hinges were attached a d the top hinge on the door frame we key ere. Then on the outside, we put one of those sliding locks. She couldn't reach the lock, but we could supervise her as we wished. And we could hear her at night as well if she needed us. It worked awesome.

When we moved after that, we mounted that in our hallway to keep our son from accessing the front of the house at night. He could open his room door and come out to potty, but he couldn't go anywhere else.

It was a cheap yet awesome alternative
MamaBearCanada 11:24 AM 09-16-2013
What about a split interior door where you can choose to have 1/2 or all the door closed. Would that be an option?

http://www.google.ca/search?client=s...dzJ1dyyDshM%3A
butterfly 11:29 AM 09-16-2013
http://www.amazon.com/Dreambaby-Extr...tall+baby+gate

I have this one in black. I like that it pretty much closes itself. I've never had a kid be able to climb it.

Blackcat31 11:35 AM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
What about a split interior door where you can choose to have 1/2 or all the door closed. Would that be an option?

http://www.google.ca/search?client=s...dzJ1dyyDshM%3A
My DH did that to one of the doors I have here so I can have a safe way to keep littles in one area....works FANTASTIC!! We just used the regular door that was on the room....cut it in half and now it can be wide open, half closed or all closed.

OP~ I would put two gates stacked on top the other. My friends had to do that for their really rambunctious toddler because he would try to climb over just one, but didn't even bother with two gates.
lovemylife 11:37 AM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
At our old house..... We had the same problem with our daughter. We ended up buying a cheapo wooden door, removing her door entirely. We cut the new wooden door in half. I say half but it was about chest high for a grown up. And we mounted that door where her old door went. the bottom two hinges were attached a d the top hinge on the door frame we key ere. Then on the outside, we put one of those sliding locks. She couldn't reach the lock, but we could supervise her as we wished. And we could hear her at night as well if she needed us. It worked awesome.

When we moved after that, we mounted that in our hallway to keep our son from accessing the front of the house at night. He could open his room door and come out to potty, but he couldn't go anywhere else.

We had to do this with our daughter when she was 2. She is an escape artist!!! We got a wooden door off Craigslist cut it above the second hinge. We even cut a little "window" for her. It worked great! She knew how to work the door knob locks so we put a little alarm on the door. Those cheap sticky ones. When I went to bed I switched it to alarm instead of chime. If she got out the alar would wake me up. It worked great!
Cradle2crayons 11:39 AM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
http://www.amazon.com/Dreambaby-Extr...tall+baby+gate

I have this one in black. I like that it pretty much closes itself. I've never had a kid be able to climb it.
I had that one in white. Lol both my daughter and son climbed it. Ad my daughter was a short chubby toddler. She would curl her toes around the bars and go right up.

At the last house when I started back doing daycare, I had my husband custom make plywood "doors" for each room that was off limits. He installed a very small custom cut doggie door in each one so our tiny dogs and kittens could get through, but not big enough for a kid to get through. And because the plywood was smooth, nobody could climb it, even my older kids.

When we moved here last year, I didn't have children young enough to worry with the custom plywood doors husband made.

OP, if your husband is handy, he could make a cheap custom plywood door, mounted to the inside of the door frame and leave the existing door there.

The reason why plywood or a real door works is because there is nothing to hold onto to climb.

My husband bought hinges and mounted them on the door frame where it's indented but the bedroom door will still shut.

Either is a great option but the plywood is much cheaper. Basically you only need a half a sheet of plywood, two hinges, and a lock set for the outside.
Meeko 06:47 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:

Glad I read this before I posted. This was going to be my suggestion.
Laurel 09:00 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My DH did that to one of the doors I have here so I can have a safe way to keep littles in one area....works FANTASTIC!! We just used the regular door that was on the room....cut it in half and now it can be wide open, half closed or all closed.

OP~ I would put two gates stacked on top the other. My friends had to do that for their really rambunctious toddler because he would try to climb over just one, but didn't even bother with two gates.
I had a daycare parent who put two gates stacked on the top of each other in his son's doorway. He went right over both. I wouldn't chance it.

Laurel
jojosmommy 12:20 PM 09-18-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I had a daycare parent who put two gates stacked on the top of each other in his son's doorway. He went right over both. I wouldn't chance it.

Laurel
I did try this on a weekend when no dck were here. My dd scaled both gates in no time and escaped to the living room.

I talked to my hubs about the dutch door. He wasnt sold on the idea until last night when I worked and dd snuck out 10× in no time.
Blackcat31 02:36 PM 09-18-2013
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
I did try this on a weekend when no dck were here. My dd scaled both gates in no time and escaped to the living room.

I talked to my hubs about the dutch door. He wasnt sold on the idea until last night when I worked and dd snuck out 10× in no time.
Holy moly! Your DD is gonna be one of those cliff divers or bugee jumping thrill seekers.....

LOL! About the dutch door.

I'll post a photo of mine in a minute so your DH can see that it actually looks like a regular door. We started out with a regular door but my hubby just took it home and cut it in half, added hardware and viola`a dutch door.

I'll go take a picture now....
Blackcat31 02:54 PM 09-18-2013
Here is the door open and the door closed. It cost only time and $5 in hardware.
Tags:gates
Reply Up