Daycare.com ForumDaycare Insurance Daycare Insurance LIST YOUR DAYCARE!

FIND A DAYCARE!

Facebook

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:09 AM

Default Grandpa, Again

Okay, so I don't actually have the g-son he adopted I still have 2 other g-kids. The g-son goes to the preschool across the street from me and sometimes drops off/picks up the other 2kids to me. He also pays me for them and what he pays me gets taken out of his rent with his daughter (the mom of kids I watch) anyway, she's been working mon-fri so he's been paying close to $200/week for the kids where before the kids were only here 3 days and paying a little over $100. He was complaining to me that since the kids are here everyday, it comes to over $700/month and his rent is $500 that he keeps coming up short at the end of the month and that he's getting ripped off. he said it was nothing against me but he's getting annoyed.
And this is my problem, how? He's such a complainer. Always complaining about mom's current b-friend (father of her youngest) people on food stamps (he gets subsidy for childcare) but whatever.
His ex is up from a different state and he's upset about that. She picked up the kidsfrom me yesterday but she won't get to see the one g-pa adopted because he can't stand her. How sad for the child involved.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:26 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I would tell him, "My job description does not include partaking in conversations of a personal nature with clients. I suggest if you have a problem with your rent/girlfriend (whatever) that you discuss with those involved."

Really, he only does this because you don't stop him. SO, STOP HIM!!!!
Old 12-16-2010, 06:11 AM

When he sees you next time, say, "And what is annoying you today?" Just kidding, don't do that...

I agree with Crystal. Something like "You know, I've got to be honest with you. It makes me uncomfortable to have these little discussions about your personal life. I'm going to ask that we keep it professional around the kids, because I'm a childcare provider, not a shrink or an accountant. I am not in the position to help you with those issues, I'm sorry."
Old 12-16-2010, 06:16 AM

hmm, I think the parents like to complain to me because I listen, I think I'm their shrink, I don't mind, we all need to vent to someone or somewhere.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:39 AM

I would say,.. my sister keeps calling me at like 11 pm, Im so sleepy when she does it and it wakes the kids up... EVERY time he started griping,..I would say that,... he may ask why it matters to him if your sister calls you at 11 pm,.. at that point you say,.. well you always vent to me,.. I figured id vent to you......

Quote:
Originally Posted by missnikki View Post
When he sees you next time, say, "And what is annoying you today?" Just kidding, don't do that...

I agree with Crystal. Something like "You know, I've got to be honest with you. It makes me uncomfortable to have these little discussions about your personal life. I'm going to ask that we keep it professional around the kids, because I'm a childcare provider, not a shrink or an accountant. I am not in the position to help you with those issues, I'm sorry."
Old 12-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Daycare.com Member

When a chronic complainer starts with my mother, she says something like "What is your biggest problem? I don't want to hear all of your problems, just the biggest one. Pick one, and make it a good one, because that's all I have time for".
Stops them in their tracks every time.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Daycare Member

I agree -- vent to him!

I have one or two female friends that call and talk incessantly about their own lives, but whenever I try to talk about mine, they interrupt with their own stories. Being the polite person I am, I took it for a long, long time. Then I started doing what they were doing: talking incessantly and interrupting THEIR stories. Guess what? It gets me off the phone SO much more quickly because they're not interested in listening .

So I would say, when Gramps starts talking, you should start talking/venting about anything and everything! He'll realize quite quickly that it's not a one way street

Last edited by DBug; 12-16-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: sp.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna View Post
When a chronic complainer starts with my mother, she says something like "What is your biggest problem? I don't want to hear all of your problems, just the biggest one. Pick one, and make it a good one, because that's all I have time for".
Stops them in their tracks every time.
I love this!

Tags
complain, grandparents