Daycare.com ForumDaycare Insurance Daycare Insurance LIST YOUR DAYCARE!

FIND A DAYCARE!

Facebook

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Tom: Need More Clarification On Business Trips

In 2 of your books I'm reading, it says for a trip to be considered a business trip, the main reason for the trip should be for business, or that you bought more business stuu vs personal stuff, etc. I understand that. However, does this mean th eitems you are buying have to be 100% business? or are we talking t/s %? Most of my trips were to our super walmart, where I usually more "supplies" rather than food, such as the clorax wipes, dish detergent, laundry deterent etc etc, but these items are shared, so can I still call these trips business trips? If my main purpose was to go to the store to but cleaning supplies, but they are considered t/s % items, do they still count?
Old 03-16-2011, 09:13 AM
Business Author/Trainer

Default Business trips

Here's a simple example. You go to the store to buy supplies only. All of the supplies are used for business and personal purposes. Your time-space % is 40%. I wouldn't claim this as a business trip since the majority of cost of the supplies are personal.

Now, if you ran out of toilet paper and had to go to the store to get toilet paper for the next day for the children, I would claim this as a business trip, even though the majority of the cost of the toilet paper was personal. This is because the primary reason for this trip was to have toilet paper for your business.

There aren't rigid rules about this. If you took 4 trips to Walmart to buy supplies in the first two months of the year, and all the supplies were used business and personal I might claim 2 of the trips as business trips.

The main problem to avoid is claiming all of your trips to Walmart as business.

Tags
deduction - trips, deductions