Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Child Telling Parents Things That Have Them Question Me Constantly
E Daycare 07:33 AM 08-02-2012
I have a 4yr old dck that has been telling their parents I throw the baby sibling in the bed or knock them down or force the child to nap and reprimand them. So I have had tons of questions from the parent if I abuse their kids or throw them around.

I do no such thing and have NEVER done it nor ever will. I have told the baby to stop throwing her paci out of her bed (baby is a year and thinks its a game but screams bloddy murder at nap time for it even tho baby throws it out ALL THE TIME. I discipline the 4yr old as when that child comes to my home that child doesn't think rules apply to the child (dck is the eldest in my dc of 4 other preschool age children). This dck goes to a "real" preschool once the school year comes as I've changed my schedule and won't be able to accommodate that child anymore (one of the reasons why I changed my schedule). So it's a plus that the child won't be here so much if at all but the sibling might (I have yet to decide if I want to terminate but in light of recent accusations I'm strongly thinking about it).

How have you handled false accusations from children to parents? I know kids misconstru things and see stuff differently but it was not fun to have to hear from a parent that they hear I throw their kid around or force the eldest to do things. Never in all my years have I had a child and parent say things like this. I know I don't do these things yet it makes me REALLY uncomfortable. When confronted I was taken completely aback, turned 100 shades of red and stammered. I had no idea this was coming. This child will sometimes tell me things like "don't yell at me or tell me to do something, that's not nice" and then I take a deep breath and tell the child "if I didn't have to repeat myself 5 times maybe you'd hear me ask the right way the first 4times!"

This child has always been my difficult one and it got worse when the baby came along.

Now I know the saying "if you're not guilty it shouldn't bother you" but when it comes to kids and calls of abuse that's not something anyone takes lightly and I'm real nervous with whatever I do and say. I don't want to spend the next month explaining myself or have them think every bump and bruise the baby will come home with is a sure sign I'm being less than careful with their kid.

I keep logs on what happens here at my house on each kid and I'm not licensed but the last thing I need is CPS doing a check up on my daycare to make sure things are ok. I've never had a complaint from my other kids or parents and I've had most of these kids 2yrs!

I have an open door policy and I'm glad the parent came to me instead of assuming but its been eating away at me for 3 days now and I'm at a loss of what to do.

Has anyone delt with this before? Do you sit with the child and have a talk and tell them that there is in no way you'd Hurt another child? That discipline is given when needed? That if they see something they feel is wrong they ask about it?

I know they are young and see things way differently but we teach kids to go to their parent when something is wrong and I don't want to be called out on everything I do as its the way I do things in MY home.

I just hated the "so and so said you did this" accusation and how sickening it made me feel. I wanted to close my doors that day and say "nope isn't worth the risk to stay home with my son, I'll go back to work at an office".
Tags:parents - accusing, parents - enquiring
Up