Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>independent play
mamamanda 11:45 AM 05-28-2014
Have you ever had experience with a child who could not play independently...like at all? I have a family with a 2y.o. & 3y.o. and neither of them will go play unless I am directing the play or leading an activity. I do this every day, but I believe children learn the most through self-directed play and would like to see them engage. My almost 3 y.o. entertains himself for 40-60 min at a time multiple times a day and is very imaginative. These kids won't even go play with other kids for 5 min without fighting or getting into something. They either sit on the couch chewing on their blanket all day, or run around acting crazy and dumping totes of toys. I try to make them pick up what they dump, but I literally feel like I just follow them around pulling them out of trouble all day long. I've tried blanket time where they get special toys as long as they stay on a blanket, but its almost more of a fight to keep them on the blanket than its worth. I'm stressed out with this behavior and don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've asked mom what they do at home and she said they usually watch tv or sort through closets, untensil drawers, etc. She said I was doing better than her since I at least get them to sit at the table when they eat. I just can't imagine taking that approach with my child. Suggestions?
Up