Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Urg!! MY Parents!! Divorced Parents!!!
mountainside13 07:13 PM 02-06-2014
My parents have been divorced for 6 years now and they are still putting me in the middle of their junk!!! I was an adult when they divorced, when I get a call from one to complain about the other, all I can think about is all the young children who don't have a voice, get stuck in the middle and have to deal with so much more than they should at such a young age! I'm an adult and I still don't have a voice when it comes to this!

End of vent. Thank you!
Play Care 05:48 AM 02-07-2014
I'm sorry! I can't even imagine.
Cat Herder 06:05 AM 02-07-2014
Tell them abuse is an ugly color on them.....

Parental Alienation is a legal form of abuse.

www.parental-alienation-awareness.com

www.parentalalienation.org
coolconfidentme 06:38 AM 02-07-2014
My girlfriend told her mom, "Here's dad's number...., tell him. He's still my father."

She said she never did it again!!
mountainside13 07:07 AM 02-07-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

Is it still abuse even thou I'm an adult? I thought parental alienation was just for children?

Thank you for the links! I am reading about it now.
Cat Herder 07:34 AM 02-07-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
Is it still abuse even thou I'm an adult? I thought parental alienation was just for children?

Thank you for the links! I am reading about it now.
You will be their child forever. Luckily, you have the ability to choose what relationship you have with them, now.

Sometimes they need reminding of that. Remember you do not owe them for your raising. It was their choice.

Respect them, but enforce your boundaries.
mountainside13 11:08 AM 02-07-2014
You will be their child forever. Luckily, you have the ability to choose what relationship you have with them, now.

Sometimes they need reminding of that. Remember you do not owe them for your raising. It was their choice.

Respect them, but enforce your boundaries.

e.j. 02:01 PM 02-07-2014

I just wish more lawyers/court advocates/judges would take this form of abuse seriously! My ex sil could be used as a case study in parental alienation. Unfortunately, when my brother and his lawyer raised the issue, it was rejected as a legitimate theory. Ugh! Sorry - just a sore subject for me.

Mountainside, I hope your parents eventually get to a place where they recognize how stressful and unfair their behavior is to you. In the meantime, I agree that being repectful but setting firm boundaries is a good tactic.
Meeko 04:26 PM 02-07-2014
I would tell them that they can vent and moan to their friends/co-workers/neighbors etc. But that you do not want to hear anything bad about the other parent and that you will not listen to it. They are welcome to visit/call etc but are to talk about anything BUT each other.

Tell them you love them BOTH and that will never change, so they need to leave you out of the middle if they can't be civil towards each other.
Tags:adult children, child abuse, divorce, in the middle
Reply Up