Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Problem Getting Payment After DCM Divorce
Dsquared 12:58 PM 02-22-2015
Hello,
I watch a two year old girl who's parents are going through a divorce. When her mom told me 4 months ago I knew things would go down hill because I have been through this with other families. She was one of my best clients. She payed me on time (every Friday for the following week) and for 2 weeks at a time. We had a great relationship also. For the past 2 months she has been having problems paying me on time. Last week she payed me on Monday (she was supposed to pay Friday for the following week) so it was already late and she shorted me $50. She said she would pay me the 50.00 on Friday plus payment for the following week. I got a text on Friday saying she is taking daughter to her grandpas house which is 3 1/2 hours away and would not be at daycare but would bring payment later in the afternoon. Of course she never showed up. Now it is Sunday and I bet she will text in the morning and say daughter is not coming because she is still at grandpas and she will tell me she can't pay or she will say I will bring payment and never show up. She has a full time job and so does the soon to be ex and they make decent money. I am so upset about this as I can't afford to lose them. My question is when she sends the texts in the morning what do I say? I am too nice and unfortunately get to friendly then I get taken advantage of. I want to be professional and get my point across but I need my money. Thanks everyone.
snbauser 04:45 PM 02-22-2015
Do you have a late fee in your contract? If so, I would respond with "thanks for letting me know dcg will not be here today. Please remember that payment in the amount of $XX was due last Friday along with the $50 from the previous week. Payment must be made today by 5pm in order to avoid late fees from assessing"
Blackcat31 04:57 PM 02-22-2015
Originally Posted by Dsquared:
Hello,
I watch a two year old girl who's parents are going through a divorce. When her mom told me 4 months ago I knew things would go down hill because I have been through this with other families. She was one of my best clients. She payed me on time (every Friday for the following week) and for 2 weeks at a time. We had a great relationship also. For the past 2 months she has been having problems paying me on time. Last week she payed me on Monday (she was supposed to pay Friday for the following week) so it was already late and she shorted me $50. She said she would pay me the 50.00 on Friday plus payment for the following week. I got a text on Friday saying she is taking daughter to her grandpas house which is 3 1/2 hours away and would not be at daycare but would bring payment later in the afternoon. Of course she never showed up. Now it is Sunday and I bet she will text in the morning and say daughter is not coming because she is still at grandpas and she will tell me she can't pay or she will say I will bring payment and never show up. She has a full time job and so does the soon to be ex and they make decent money. I am so upset about this as I can't afford to lose them. My question is when she sends the texts in the morning what do I say? I am too nice and unfortunately get to friendly then I get taken advantage of. I want to be professional and get my point across but I need my money. Thanks everyone.
I would just say something like:

"I understand that you are experiencing some changes in your personal life and I feel I have been very understanding thus far but unfortunately I am no longer able to continue being so flexible with the payment issues that have been happening. I too, have financial obligations and those obligations need to be taken care of. I am going to have to require that you adhere to our contract and pay your child care fees in full when due without any further exceptions made on my part. Your balance due up until today is $xxx and will need to be paid by xxxx time or late fees will be added. I am sure you understand."

You can't be everything you want to be.

You are either nice and get the run around or you are firm and get paid

Worse case scenario IS that she terms but what's the difference when she isn't paying you now?
Tags:divorce
Reply Up