Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Just Need Help...lol
daycare 08:30 AM 09-24-2014
Ok I hope with my horrible English writing skills I can make this clear.

I have a family with two FT kids that are moving out of the country. Their parents gave proper notice and have been very wonderful clients...

as soon as I find this out, I start calling my wait list. I get 4 bites.

3 families want very PT, so I pass and say I will get back to you.....

Then I have a family on my wait list with two kids needing full time care. YIPPIE..

Well not so fast...this is where I hear the wannt wannt waaaaaa...

Prospective DCM origionally comes and says I want to enroll both kids. One of her kids is about to turn 5 in about a week and DCM says well I just realized that they will qualify for TK... ok cool She says, My daughter really has her heart set on going to a real school, so we now only want to enroll one child................ Maybe I am lucky here I see a RED flag, with the whole My CHILD gets to make the decisions of where they want to go.

So My current clients are due to leave 10-17. DCM is very flexible, she does not work and is a very understanding person.

The new family now wants to enroll only one child and wants to start next week on Monday 9-29. I don't have an opening yet.

My idea was that if BOTH of the new clients kids were going to enroll both kids, then I was going to tell my DCP that we would end their contract early.

But now it's only one kid and I don't want to tell my current daycare family choose only one of your kids to send...........I am filling the other spot.

This time of year it is really hard to fill spots.... I don't know what to do here.

What would you ladies do? Does this make sense?
AmyKidsCo 08:36 AM 09-24-2014
It does make sense.

Honestly, if you think the new family will stay around for a while I'd talk to the old family and explain that you need to fill the spot now.

It doesn't make sense to keep a family you know is leaving and turn away a family that could be around for a while.
daycare 08:37 AM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
It does make sense.

Honestly, if you think the new family will stay around for a while I'd talk to the old family and explain that you need to fill the spot now.

It doesn't make sense to keep a family you know is leaving and turn away a family that could be around for a while.
even though it will only be one spot?

If I ask them to leave, both kids go and now I have one open FT spot I need to fill.
Blackcat31 08:40 AM 09-24-2014
"Dear prospective family,

Originally you were interested in enrolling both of your children in my program. This would have worked well as I have a family vacating 2 spaces in the near future and I am planning on filling those vacant spaces with another sibling set.

However, since you are now only wanting to enroll one child in my program I will not be able to accommodate a single child into any available space until October 17 at the earliest.

If this start date does not work for you and you do not plan on moving forward with enrollment, please let me know.

Thank you for your interest in my program and I look forward to speaking with you again soon.

Thank you

Daycare Provider."

Cat Herder 08:41 AM 09-24-2014
I'd pass and have faith something better will come along. It always has for me.

Only you know your budget, though.
daycare 08:52 AM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I'd pass and have faith something better will come along. It always has for me.

Only you know your budget, though.
Thanks Cat....This is exactly how I feel, but just wanted to really try and entertain this idea first before just blowing it over.
daycare 08:54 AM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Originally you were interested in enrolling both of your children in my program. This would have worked well as I have a family vacating 2 spaces in the near future and I am planning on filling those vacant spaces with another sibling set.

However, since you are now only wanting to enroll one child in my program I will not be able to accommodate a single child into any available space until October 17 at the earliest.

If this start date does not work for you and you do not plan on moving forward with enrollment, please let me know.

Thank you for your interest in my program and I look forward to speaking with you again soon.

Thank you

Daycare Provider."
Yes....YEs...Yes...

this is an awesome letter....I think that this is the route that I will have to go. The more that I think about it, the more I don't want to do it...

I am going to copy and paste this......

only thing is that the parents don't have access to email so they say because they just moved in to a brand new home and don't have internet set up.
Soccermom 09:44 AM 09-24-2014
I think I would pass on this family...

I can't stand daycare parents who allow their children to rule the roost (Although it seems more and more that it is becoming the norm).

Red flag!!
SignMeUp 09:50 AM 09-24-2014

If this start date does not work for you and you do not plan on moving forward with enrollment, please let me know by October 1 (or whatever date you want).

Thank you

Daycare Provider."
Maybe add that ^^?

Can you tell I've had "give 'em an inch and they take a mile" folks lately?
Laurel 10:20 AM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
I think I would pass on this family...

I can't stand daycare parents who allow their children to rule the roost (Although it seems more and more that it is becoming the norm).

Red flag!!
Not necessarily a red flag. It is entirely possible that mom just wants to put her in a 'real school' and that was her excuse. The child 'maybe' could care less.

Laurel
CraftyMom 10:26 AM 09-24-2014
My issue would be that YOU called THEM and told them the spot was available Oct 17. New mom is dictating to you that she needs to start next week. I would pass or tell her that since she needs an earlier start date you will move on to the next on your list (even if there isn't anyone else). She may change her tune when she realizes the spot isn't necessarily hers for the taking and you have other options. To me the spot isn't available until Oct 17. I wouldn't make special accommodations since the original bargain (2 kids) had changed
Blackcat31 10:47 AM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
My issue would be that YOU called THEM and told them the spot was available Oct 17. New mom is dictating to you that she needs to start next week. I would pass or tell her that since she needs an earlier start date you will move on to the next on your list (even if there isn't anyone else). She may change her tune when she realizes the spot isn't necessarily hers for the taking and you have other options. To me the spot isn't available until Oct 17. I wouldn't make special accommodations since the original bargain (2 kids) had changed
I agree but (Correct me if I am wrong Daycare) but I kind of figured the start date was left open since the exiting family was willing to leave earlier and the new entering family wasn't specifically told of the exact start date at that point because Daycare was willing to take them earlier than the 10/17 date.

But only because the new family WAS going to enroll TWO kids not one.

Now Daycare is not willing to ask exiting family to depart early if the new family only wants one space.

....that's how I interpreted the situation so I didn't see the new DCM as dictating the start date at all.

Oh, and I don't see the issue with DCK "ruling the roost" as I asked both my kids if they wanted to remain in our regular family care (before I opened) or attend a brick and mortar preschool. As a parent, I just needed care....the kids were the ones having to spend the day in one environment or another so I asked them their thoughts. It certainly didn't mean they had the ultimate authority about our family's need for care. Hope that makes sense....
daycare 11:55 AM 09-24-2014
I agree but (Correct me if I am wrong Daycare) but I kind of figured the start date was left open since the exiting family was willing to leave earlier and the new entering family wasn't specifically told of the exact start date at that point because Daycare was willing to take them earlier than the 10/17 date.

Now Daycare is not willing to ask exiting family to depart early if the new family only wants one space.

....that's how I interpreted the situation so I didn't see the new DCM as dictating the start date at all.

Oh, and I don't see the issue with DCK "ruling the roost" as I asked both my kids if they wanted to remain in our regular family care (before I opened) or attend a brick and mortar preschool. As a parent, I just needed care....the kids were the ones having to spend the day in one environment or another so I asked them their thoughts. It certainly didn't mean they had the ultimate authority about our family's need for care. Hope that makes sense....
yes BC you are correct.

as for the red flag and the kid getting to decide, I guess for me this is just sour grapes because it smells like a child I had before and that child did rule the roost and create all kinds of drama. Always got to choose what they wanted to do and when. It was not a fun experience.
CraftyMom 07:03 PM 09-24-2014

Oh, I see. If both were starting she would take them BOTH early and the other family would leave early, gotcha!

I just saw on another post that both kids are now coming? How did that work out?
daycare 08:15 PM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Oh, I see. If both were starting she would take them BOTH early and the other family would leave early, gotcha!

I just saw on another post that both kids are now coming? How did that work out?
I just basically told the mom that from a kids perspective I could see wanting the brick and mortar school, the lunch box, the backpack, but as a parent, I would just see this as a lot more money spent.

I gave her some of my references about my pre-kinder program and hour later she said she wanted to enroll both......Lets just hope they stay....
Tags:interview - follow up, rejection letter
Reply Up