Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Daycare Supply List
Unregistered 02:26 PM 07-24-2009
Hello,

I am enrolling my 2 year old in a new daycare next month. I met with the Director and toured the facilities over the summer and was very impressed. I have also heard great things, plenty of references. Last month, I put down a non-refundable "registration fee" of $90 and book fees of $30. I also had to buy uniforms, which I spent almost $100 for! I was assuming that would cover all supplies and things that my daughter would need.

Today I received a letter in the mail with an extensive Supply List. It includes Clorox wipes (cleaning supplies?!.. those should already be available!!) and crayons, markers.. all the basic school supplies plus specific items from Hobby Lobby like finger paints and such.

Ok... she's 2.... and I'll be paying outgrageous tuition plus a registration fee (for what?), so... what's with the supply list?

Her other daycare just required pull-ups, wipes, a blanket, and change of clothes.. plus, no uniforms!!

And, no.. when I met with the director, I was not told about the uniforms or supply list. I read the handbook and bought the uniforms.

Anyway, is this normal? Does anyone else have a supply list for their 2 year old daycare?
melissa ann 05:03 PM 07-24-2009
Wow! Personally, I think that is crazy. Uniforms and books for 2 yr olds?
Where was your daughter before, in a daycare facility or an at home provider?
Unregistered 06:45 PM 07-24-2009
They make uniforms for two year olds? What, little blue polo onesies and snap leg khakis?

I think you might be getting milked.

Supplies should be part of the package deal, you know, what you pay tuition for.
Chickenhauler 09:23 PM 07-24-2009
Sounds like you've enrolled your child in Himmler and Goebels and Goering child care center.

Uniforms? For what? They're TWO, it's not like they're having fashion wars.....at that age, we had all we could do to get our son to wear clothes! Thankfully he outgrew his hippy phase, and now is in his "cutoff shorts and that's it phase" for the summer.
GretasLittleFriends 05:07 AM 07-25-2009
I understand the $90 in non-refundable. What about the $30 book fee? Can you return the uniforms? If it were me, I'd be looking for someplace else.

Uniforms, that just boggles my mind. I can understand a mild dress code as I kind of have one. Nothing really, just that the children need to wear play clothes, not dressy clothes. I could understand even with a child in diapers requiring snap pants or something like that for ease of changing, but that seems a little much.

As far as a supply list, I could understand diapers, wipes, things like that. Even a box of Kleenexes or a snack once in a while, but these should really be supplied by the daycare.
GretasLittleFriends 05:10 AM 07-25-2009
Oh, and I forgot to ask... How much extra are they charging you for meals and snacks?
Michael 03:18 PM 08-11-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
Sounds like you've enrolled your child in Himmler and Goebels and Goering child care center.

Uniforms? For what? They're TWO, it's not like they're having fashion wars.....at that age, we had all we could do to get our son to wear clothes! Thankfully he outgrew his hippy phase, and now is in his "cutoff shorts and that's it phase" for the summer.
haha funny
Unregistered 01:00 PM 08-02-2009
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello,

I am enrolling my 2 year old in a new daycare next month. I met with the Director and toured the facilities over the summer and was very impressed. I have also heard great things, plenty of references. Last month, I put down a non-refundable "registration fee" of $90 and book fees of $30. I also had to buy uniforms, which I spent almost $100 for! I was assuming that would cover all supplies and things that my daughter would need.

Today I recieved a letter in the mail with an extensive Supply List. It includes Clorox wipes (cleaning supplies?!.. those should already be available!!) and crayons, markers.. all the basic school supplies plus specific items from Hobby Lobby like finger paints and such.

Ok... she's 2.... and I'll be paying outgrageous tuition plus a registration fee (for what?), so... what's with the supply list?

Her other daycare just required pull-ups, wipes, a blanket, and change of clothes.. plus, no uniforms!!

And, no.. when I met with the director, I was not told about the uniforms or supply list. I read the handbook and bought the uniforms.

Anyway, is this normal? Does anyone else have a supply list for their 2 year old daycare?
Yes
It is great to have a list for all ages this help keep the cost of childcare down.
And it helps teachers all supplies on hand at all times.
Unregistered 05:59 PM 08-28-2009
Hello all. My DD is enrolled at an independent home daycare (not a private corporation/franchise): $220/wk since 6 mos old. I provide breakfast, lunch, diapers/pull ups, and wipes. The day care provides 2 snacks. Uniforms were mandatory starting 18 mos.: $6.99 for screen printed logo t-shirt and $10.99 for screen printed logo gym shorts. My two year old is being promoted to the 3 year old class (potty trained (fairly consistent) and we will pay $180/wk. The uniform will consist of the "standard" uniform for the public schools in this area (peter pan collared shirt, skorts/pants or jumper - the sizes start at 2T).

After reading this, I am surprised that so many parents (or mothers) are shocked at the idea of uniforms at 2 years old. Based on my area, a large suburb near an East Coast metropolitan area, my experience seemed (note the past tense) to be the norm.

I would love to find a quality daycare that didn't cost an arm and a leg and provided the nurturing experience that my DD has had at this day care. At 2, she can count past 20, knows upper and lowercase letters, identifies animals, can communicate using very basic sign language, has been on field trips to the zoo, circus and a local civics program and is learning words by sight. In her new class she will also begin learning Spanish. Christmas party included Santa Claus and two elves. Easter party consisted of an Easter Bunny that scared most of the little ones (ha). Free picture opportunities during all special events. I am quite pleased with my DD's progress and find that the monetary sacrifice for food, supplies and uniforms is a minor inconvenience and less important that her good health and welfare.
AmandasFCC 06:30 AM 08-31-2009
I think if the kids are going on a lot of outings a uniform might be beneficial for a group setting. That way they're easily identifiable to not only the providers but also the public so if one strays, they can be easily returned to the group (obviously we don't want to think of that happening but it can and it does) ...

As for providing Clorox wipes, crayons and all of that stuff ... I would think that would be included personally. I guess if the references all check out I'd give it a shot, but I'd be VERY quick to pull my daughter as soon as I heard something I didn't like from this place ... but that's just me ...
Unregistered 12:14 AM 09-12-2009
In my experience, my daughter is gong to a day care learning center. They teach my 3 year old daughter the numbers, the colors, the shapes and much more. Since she started going, her speech has improved tremendously. Sometimes she even corrects me, Ha! I think there are many day cares that have the kids watch TV all day long or play all day long and don't stimulate you child's little brains. What I pay and what I see from my daughter's learning process is worth the effort. I wouldn't change her day care for saving some bucks, even with this economy crisis.
melissa ann 04:31 AM 09-12-2009
I do chldcare in my home. I have kids between 5 months-5 yrs. I have 2 of my own. A 2 yr old and 5 yr old. My son, who is 2, can count to 20, knows the entire alphabet, knows about 30 signs in sign language, knows animals and their sounds, he has a v-tech tote N go computer, which he can turn on/off and set it to whatever he wants to work on(letters,numbers or whatever) So, you don't have to spend a lot of money. All it takes is someone who is willing to work with the children. Plus, not all children are the same. My son is eager to learn on the other hand, Ihave a dcb who will be 4 in Dec. He has no interest in learning. He would rather play all day. At home, this is what he does or watches tv I have no tv in my dc. At home, my son does watch Seasame St. and other educational shows. I think it's sad, especially when we work on the alphabets and the dcb doesn't know what letter it is, but my son can.
Tags:supplies
Reply Up