Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Horrible Question, But Am Thinking Ahead On It
momma2girls 09:15 AM 07-05-2011
I just thought of this question for everyone-
What if a family held a spot for their newborn baby, 2 weeks or more than that, such as one week per month-
Heaven forbid if something happened like the death of the baby or ?
What would everyone do in this case?
Has anyone had this happen?
I had a dream that this happened to one of my daycare mothers.
WOuld you refund their deposit or holding fee for how ever long you held it for?
daycare 09:17 AM 07-05-2011
OMG so sorry you had that dream.... If that were to happen, I would refund the money no questions asked... I would see that they would need it more than I would.
Cat Herder 09:17 AM 07-05-2011
I did refund it, plus some, to put towards funeral costs.

I also do not charge in the event a child is placed on paliative only, respite or hospice care.

All childcare services beyond that point become a gift.
SilverSabre25 09:25 AM 07-05-2011
I would refund it.

I do have to ask an additional question though...if you charge a holding fee for a newborn baby until they're born and attending, do you keep the fee in a savings account until the child starts attending, just in case something happens?
DaycareMama 09:25 AM 07-05-2011
Soo scary to think about. I would give back all money
momma2girls 09:32 AM 07-05-2011
My holding fee can be up to 6 months in advance. My one Mom is pregnant and they have held a spot for 6 months on a 2 week holding fee.
Cat Herder 09:32 AM 07-05-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I would refund it.

I do have to ask an additional question though...if you charge a holding fee for a newborn baby until they're born and attending, do you keep the fee in a savings account until the child starts attending, just in case something happens?
Honestly, I did not.

I knee jerked and pulled it out of my retirement account.

Now, it sits in my Emergency Account that I started after the fact.
wdmmom 09:57 AM 07-05-2011
I've never been in the situation but I've thought about it and I would definitely refund the full amount of money received as a deposit if the baby didn't survive.
Crazy8 10:14 AM 07-05-2011
I thank God I've never been in that position. I would refund any money. I don't even like to take money before a baby is born - usually when I interview pregnant women I just tell them to call me once the baby is born. I don't hold spots that long anyway.
SilverSabre25 01:38 PM 07-05-2011
I have actually thought about this before...it's why I wasn't willing to even interview with the mom that called me last November looking for care for this coming November and the baby would be 12 weeks. I did the math and she was BARELY pregnant...like, "how can you even have gotten the BFP yet?" barely. I couldn't help but think, "and what if it's a chemical pregnancy, or you miscarry, or something bad happens late-term, or born premature and there's a long NICU stay, or, or, or..."have the baby, then we'll talk" is my philosophy.
Tags:holding spot policy, unexpected death
Reply Up