Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Charge For Holding A Spot Open?
Francine 06:19 PM 08-03-2011
I have an infant opening right now, I had one interview today and I have another one tomorrow. Todays interview has already had the baby and is looking for care in September, the interview tomorrow isn't having the baby until September and is looking for care to start in October. Just from talking to her on the phone I think that the one I am interviewing tomorrow is going to be the better fit BUT I have an opening NOW I can't afford to just hold the spot open. How do I charge for this? I usually charge a deposit of either 50.00 if they are going to start within a week or two and 100.00 if it is going to be over a month. But then I have always deducted that from their first week of daycare, I am now seriously reconsidering this. I don't think that I should have to hold the spot open for months and then give them the money back once they start. How do you do this?
Crazy8 06:43 PM 08-03-2011
I just posted a kind of similar question about collecting payment, LOL!

I collect a 1 week deposit to be credited to their LAST week of care. I basically make it so I never have to "return" money - I just watch them without payment their very last week (often years later). IF I am holding the spot for more than 2 weeks I will charge a NON-REFUNDABLE fee in addition to the 1 week deposit. I write that fee in (just leave a blank in the contract) because I change it depending on how long I am holding the spot and also a little bit on how risky I think holding the spot is. Then when they are starting they pay their first week on their first day so they are always paying before I watch the child - learned that lesson the hard way!
bice99 09:34 PM 08-03-2011
I will hold for up to 2 months at half rate, due on the first of each month, just like my full paying families. After the 2 months, they have to pay full rate.
momma2girls 07:53 AM 08-04-2011
This is what I do now- if you would like for me to hold a spot for you, it will be one week per month, holding fee- this is nonrefundable, and only to hold your spot here. I have been burnt quite bad in the past on something different, so I had to change my contract. I have had 2 families do this and found it worked great. There are MANY daycares that charge 1/2 the rate each week, orfull rate each week to hold it-If you do any less, it's too easy for them to break the contract at anytime.
SandeeAR 08:53 AM 08-04-2011
I charge 1/2 rate until the baby begins attending. I've currently been holding a spot for 10 weeks at $50 a week. The baby was just born last week. Mom plans to stay out for 12 weeks. So I've made $500 so far and will make another $500-$600 before the baby begins attending.

Since I signed her up, I have had at least 4 people want that spot. So money attached is the ONLY way I will hold a spot.
Tags:holding spot, holding spot - fee
Reply Up