Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Should Have Sent Him Home! So Annoyed With Myself!!!!
bunnyslippers 05:00 AM 02-08-2012
I just had a mom drop off her two year old. At drop off, she tells me she forgot his backpack and so he has no diapers, no wipes, no spare clothes, and none of his "lovies." She also did not bring my check for the month of February. I am so frustrated with myself! I should have sent her packing, and I know it. She also asked if he could borrow my older son's truck (an upstairs, off-limits toy) to help him get over not having his lovies. To that, I said no.

Why is it so difficult to enforce my own policies?!?? I need to toughen up. This is a notoriously flaky mom. She forgets things ALL the time, delays drop-offs leading to tantrums, drives on my lawn, lets her kids run wild through my house. She is nice, but a flake. Argh.
DaycareMom 05:33 AM 02-08-2012
I used to do this to myself all the time! This one DCM would always take advantage of my niceness. I finally stood up to her one day - she didn't want to pay me for a day her child was out sick even though it was discussed at interview and in the policy handbook that she was required to - and she ended up leaving saying she didn't agree with my policies. She now brings her children to DC at a center which has the same policy and she now is paying double!

At the time, I was very upset because I needed the money, but I was so glad to not have to deal with her anymore that it was worth it.

Maybe give her another copy of the PHB or write a probation letter?

It's not right to not bring diapers and wipes for your child. You shold have told her you didn't have any left either so she would have to bring them.

She is taking advantage of you!

No pay = no stay

You should definitely at least bring it up at pick up. The more you accept it - the more she will try to "get away with". I wish you the best of luck and let us know how it goes!
laundrymom 06:42 AM 02-08-2012
He did so awesome today with no lovies!!!!! Tomorrow just bring his diapers and wipes.

Thanks mom!!!
Heidi 07:00 AM 02-08-2012
As a side note, why not have your dc parents bring a supply of each to keep at your house?

I have a drawer for each child with diapers, extra socks, and a change of clothes. Then, when the supply gets low, I text the parents. Thay way, they have a few days to remember. I try to hit them on Fridays, if possible, because most people go shopping on weekends.

For wipes, I have everyone bring them as the supply gets low, and then I keep one container open at a time, or two if we are outside a lot of quick hand or face washes. If you are fussy about brand name, then just tell them that. I don't care what kind, but I know some people do.

For me, it just makes it easier because no one runs out. If a child leaves my daycare, a couple diapers usually end up here as extras just incase, or if someone does forget to restock right away, I can borrow another child's and replace it the next day. My parent's are all cool with that, because everyone has forgotten a package in their car on a busy morning.

I also went to the resale shop and bought a few non-gender specific tshirts, pull on shorts, and sweatpants for $.25 so I have my own stock.

Just a suggestion to make your life easier.
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 02-08-2012
I do like bbo does and have each parent bring a supply of diapers and wipes. On the first of each month every one has to bring a new package of diapers and a new package of wet wipes.

I do NOT allow diaper bags or bags to be brought into the daycare.

Kids who have lovies or whatever, usually get a secondary one ot leave at daycare or if it is a one-of-a-kind thing, they simply bring it back and forth each day and rarely forget it if they are THAT attached to it.

Parents only need to remember the child, rather than the enormous amount of supplies they require each day.

Simplifies life for everyone.
Heidi 07:07 AM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I do like bbo does and have each parent bring a supply of diapers and wipes. On the first of each month every one has to bring a new package of diapers and a new package of wet wipes.

I do NOT allow diaper bags or bags to be brought into the daycare.

Kids who have lovies or whatever, usually get a secondary one ot leave at daycare or if it is a one-of-a-kind thing, they simply bring it back and forth each day and rarely forget it if they are THAT attached to it.

Parents only need to remember the child, rather than the enormous amount of supplies they require each day.

Simplifies life for everyone.
Black cat reminded me...

I don't want diaper bags here, either, because you never know WHAT is in those things! Medicine or worse. If someone does bring one (like a drop in), I make sure it is WAY out of reach of children!
DaycareMom 07:24 AM 02-08-2012
Agree with everyone on keeping xtra supplies, but it is just plain rude and inconsiderate to "forget" payment. As I said before, No pay = no stay. We don't work for free!
bunnyslippers 07:47 AM 02-08-2012
I actually do require a supply of diapers and wipes to be kept here, as well as a lovies rule that it stays here or you don't bring it. This one mom just can't seem to follow the rules at all! I know it is my own fault. She only comes 2 days a week, and she is a best friend of one of my other families. I think that is why I am leary of getting on her case. I don't want her to then tell her friend that I got on her about things, in fear of losing both families.

I know I shouldn't care if they go - but I don't typically fill spots once the school year begins (I only take teacher's children during the school year). Financially, it would be tough to lose both of them.

That being said, I know I need to tell her to straighten up. I need to get a backbone!!!!
Meeko 07:50 AM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
As a side note, why not have your dc parents bring a supply of each to keep at your house?

I have a drawer for each child with diapers, extra socks, and a change of clothes. Then, when the supply gets low, I text the parents. Thay way, they have a few days to remember. I try to hit them on Fridays, if possible, because most people go shopping on weekends.

For wipes, I have everyone bring them as the supply gets low, and then I keep one container open at a time, or two if we are outside a lot of quick hand or face washes. If you are fussy about brand name, then just tell them that. I don't care what kind, but I know some people do.

For me, it just makes it easier because no one runs out. If a child leaves my daycare, a couple diapers usually end up here as extras just incase, or if someone does forget to restock right away, I can borrow another child's and replace it the next day. My parent's are all cool with that, because everyone has forgotten a package in their car on a busy morning.

I also went to the resale shop and bought a few non-gender specific tshirts, pull on shorts, and sweatpants for $.25 so I have my own stock.

Just a suggestion to make your life easier.
I am similar.

I don't want diaper bags all over the place (and parents keep all kinds of weird things in them!) I keep a supply of diapers on shelves in my changing area. I let parents know when I am down to a few. I keep some extras and they get "borrowed" if a parents forgets to bring diapers. But they get paid back to the emergency supply when parents bring their diapers. I keep track of how many get borrowed and write it on the childs diaper. If a parent sees -3 written on their child, then they know they need to pay back 3 diapers to me. Each parent brings a pack of wipes on the first of each month and I work my way through them.

I have a supply of clothing I got at the thrift store. Easy on sweatpants etc. I write RETURN TO DAYCARE all over them in black sharpie so I get them back if they go home on a child!
SandeeAR 08:10 AM 02-08-2012
I do the same as above. I have them bring a package of diapers and wipes at the beginning. I send home a note, needing diapers when I get down to 12 diapers. (This gives them a few days to get them in before I run out) I send home a note about every other month for a package of wipes.

I dont accept diaper bags, except on drop ins. I then look all thru them, pull out a few diapers and the wipes. I place the bags in a room the kids cant get in.
wdmmom 08:12 AM 02-08-2012
I don't do bags. I have them keep diapers here and I put up a note with the kids names and any supplies they need when they run low.

I'd get a hold of her at work and tell her that she needs to take her lunch hour to bring you a package of diapers and wipes to keep at the daycare. If you have to supply the diapers, you're going to charge an extra $2.00 per diaper.

I'd also tell her that she needs to make payment when she drops off the diapers & wipes.
daycare 08:14 AM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
I actually do require a supply of diapers and wipes to be kept here, as well as a lovies rule that it stays here or you don't bring it. This one mom just can't seem to follow the rules at all! I know it is my own fault. She only comes 2 days a week, and she is a best friend of one of my other families. I think that is why I am leary of getting on her case. I don't want her to then tell her friend that I got on her about things, in fear of losing both families.

I know I shouldn't care if they go - but I don't typically fill spots once the school year begins (I only take teacher's children during the school year). Financially, it would be tough to lose both of them.

That being said, I know I need to tell her to straighten up. I need to get a backbone!!!!
Communication is key....ask and you shall receive. AND if you don't, it's time to play hardball.

I would be calling mom right now and telling her, I really need for you to bring me supplies for little johnny, I cant do my job of taking care of him if I dont have the necessary supplies. I really need for you to supply me with the required supplies for him/her.

Also let her know, that he does not use his lovies here. I don't do them. They have created too many issues in the past. especially at nap time. I have a boy who I have had for 3 months now and yesterday he says to me at nap in a crying voice, "I need my purple binky". I look at him and think what is he talking about??

Later at pick up I ask mom about it and she says oh it's in his cubby box. I told mom well he has never used it here and I did not even know about it.

I have sent parents home without supplies and it never happens again.

Recently, a few months back I had a family that their child ran out of supplies and it was my only child in diapers. I called both parents and both said that they could not get there for at least 2 hours. (both were lawyers and in court)
SO I said well, you have two options, 1. I call back up to pick them up or I can order diapers from safeway grocery store delivery and it will cost you $75.00. They have a $50 minimum delivery charge and I charged $25.00 inconvenience fee. They paid it and they were really bad, but it never happen again.

Bottom line, is that you need to take action and do something or you are always going to get the same result.
MarinaVanessa 08:38 AM 02-08-2012
When a client of mine has trouble remembering to bring me supplies and leaving them at daycare but brings a diaper bag and leaves it here I clean the back out of all of the diapers and wipes they have in there and put those in the child's cubby. I had a client once call me uberly pissed because she had no diapers in her bag after she picked up dcb, my resonse was "Oh yeah, I'm so sorry. I forgot to tell you to stock your bag. I totally know how you're feeling right now, little Tommy hasn't had supplies here for a week!"
daycare 08:51 AM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
When a client of mine has trouble remembering to bring me supplies and leaving them at daycare but brings a diaper bag and leaves it here I clean the back out of all of the diapers and wipes they have in there and put those in the child's cubby. I had a client once call me uberly pissed because she had no diapers in her bag after she picked up dcb, my resonse was "Oh yeah, I'm so sorry. I forgot to tell you to stock your bag. I totally know how you're feeling right now, little Tommy hasn't had supplies here for a week!"
hahah that is funny... YOu taught her how it feels.....
MamaBear 08:56 AM 02-08-2012
I have the parents bring their child's diapers & wipes & change of clothes and keep in their little cubbies. I check the supply every Friday & if its low, I put a sticky note on the door for them at pick up and I email them too. Works for me. I don't allow baby bags. Too much weird stuff in there... medicine, snacks, and sometimes they actually smell stinky! I had a mom bring one once that had a poop diaper in it!!!! UGH!

I had a parent once that was so bad about replenishing the boy's diapers that I didn't have any at all for him by the end of this one day. So I put this teeny tiny 3 month size diaper on him to go home with (he was @ 15 months old). I told the mom and also let her know he hadn't pooped all day. The mom was upset and why is he wearing this? Because you won't bring diapers for your son! She never did it again. I hope he made a big poo on the way home. That diaper barely covered his big booty haha
Heidi 11:24 AM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
I have the parents bring their child's diapers & wipes & change of clothes and keep in their little cubbies. I check the supply every Friday & if its low, I put a sticky note on the door for them at pick up and I email them too. Works for me. I don't allow baby bags. Too much weird stuff in there... medicine, snacks, and sometimes they actually smell stinky! I had a mom bring one once that had a poop diaper in it!!!! UGH!

I had a parent once that was so bad about replenishing the boy's diapers that I didn't have any at all for him by the end of this one day. So I put this teeny tiny 3 month size diaper on him to go home with (he was @ 15 months old). I told the mom and also let her know he hadn't pooped all day. The mom was upset and why is he wearing this? Because you won't bring diapers for your son! She never did it again. I hope he made a big poo on the way home. That diaper barely covered his big booty haha
thanks for the chuckle!
saved4always 11:42 AM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by MamaBear:

Too funny!!!
My3cents 12:05 PM 02-08-2012
Each kiddo has a cubbie here, and the parents put the diapers on the bottom and I refill a basket next to my changing table with all the kids diapers in it. They have a basket in the cubbie for extra clothes and I tell them daily if they need something for the next day. I have great parents. They all remember to bring what their child needs. In the event that I run out of diapers or clothes, they know I have extra odd stuff in pink and will use that if I have too. I mostly boys at this time. Diapers- I would borrow, plus I have some of my own.
For wipes, I do a community thing here. I have four containers(one at the changing table, one in the play area, one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom) for wipes that I keep filled and I ask full time parents to bring in one package per week, part timers one every other week and I also buy wipes and tell them that. I buy a big box at Target once a month. I explain to the parents. I use them for everything not just for diaper changes. I use them for hands and faces, clean ups. I don't ever worry about using a wipe in fear of not being able to have enough for diaper changes. It's my one luxury item so to speak- I also request they bring in quality wipes and not wipes my finger is going to poke through- gross. Creams, they bring in for their child, but I also pick these up and have them all together in my changing area.

Understanding that we play, we get messy and we sometimes like to dump out our food so it goes under our bibs and everywhere is hard for the parents to understand. I send home dirty clothes in a bag and try to remember to ask for more. I care for these kids so I like sending them home clean and ready to go for parent time. I think the parents hit a low of ......agh more laundry!!! oh well.
bunnyslippers 02:08 PM 02-08-2012
Update...she arrived this afternoonsta k o
with both her check and a stack of diapers. I asked her to send supplies to keep here. I also told her I would not keep him anymore without payment and the right supplies for the day. Thanks for all the help!
Tags:backbone, enforcing policies - consistency, parental responsibility
Reply Up