Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I charge for last minute cancelation?
trippingontoys 05:08 AM 03-19-2013
I don't have it in my polices, but I think I should. I am watching a child temporarily month by month. He is scheduled three days a week. Last Friday his dad asked if I could keep him today (Tuesday) also. This morning 20 minutes before they get here, he texts and says change of plans. Wont be there today, can he come tomorrow from 3-5? Should I charge for today? Or just learn my lesson and put it in my policies. I'm not full and he wasn't taking up a spot I could have filled, but it just irritates me. And of course, since its a small town, I know the family, they go to my church and I hate when someone is mad at me. This is the part of the job I don't like. Ugggg. I'm still working on growing a backbone. I did charge a late fee the first time ever the other day. But that had me on pins and needles til I saw the mom wasn't mad.
Play Care 05:25 AM 03-19-2013
I do not allow switching because of this issue. I usually tell parents who ask that my numbers don't allow it. But if you need the money you can always make the policy that if a family needs additional days and you are able to accomodate them, they will be paid for upfront and the fee is non refundable if the family chooses not to come that "extra" day. Of course you can write all the policies in the world, but if you don't enforce them, they are meaningless.

ETA: No I wouldn't charge them for this time, but if they ask again I would probably tell them upfront that they need to pay for the spot.
e.j. 05:29 AM 03-19-2013
Originally Posted by Rebecca:
I'm not full and he wasn't taking up a spot I could have filled,
I wouldn't, especially given the above statement - but that's just me. I do drop in care but I look at it as extra income vs. income I'm counting on. If I were full and could have filled the spot had I been given enough notice, I might feel differently.

Also, I don't think I'd charge the fee unless my policies stated that a fee would be charged. I don't think it's fair to spring new policies/charges on parents like that. If you want to make a change to your policies, you can always give parents an addendum to your contract and have them sign it so they know for next time.
BumbleBee 06:16 AM 03-19-2013
I just changed a policy for this exact reason.

Basically now it's written that if you schedule a day you are expected to pay for it prior to care and the charge is non-refundable. My only leniency is if I have 24 hours notice of absence because then I can take a drop-in if necessary.

Given that it's not in your policies now I wouldn't charge. I would add the policy and have it go into effect April 1st. Send a sheet out with the new policy and have the parents sign & return it by March 29th.

Just my 2 cents.
Tags:cancellation, policies
Reply Up