Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Do For Cold Bugs??
mamap 09:22 AM 03-17-2014
Hi All,

There is a nasty cold virus going around here. It has made the rounds through my house twice now. I've been very lenient about it, but enough is enough!

What do you all do about colds? Not allow kids to come? Have a "sick area" for kids?

This is all in addition to excessive hand washing, toy cleaning, special everything for sick kiddos.

I'm at a loss on how to handle this as this year has been our worst yet. I don't have a policy on colds but everything else is covered (fevers, diarrhea, etc). There is no guidance from my state on colds. I just feel like parents would get fed up pretty quickly if I sent their kids home every time they got a cold and didn't let them return for a week!

What does everyone else do?
daycarediva 09:41 AM 03-17-2014
I send home for SYMPTOMS. So if the SYMPTOM of their cold is excessive coughing (and they can't cover their mouths) excessive nasal drainage, inability to participate/irritability, sleepiness, etc I send home and they cannot return until the SYMPTOMS are gone for 24 hours.

I am also not above putting a mask on a child with non excludable symptoms. It's running its course through us here, too. NO FUN AT ALL!
mamap 09:48 AM 03-17-2014
Thanks, Diva! Do parents fight you on this or has it been easy to send kids home?

This all started from one parent insisting that it was allergies and wound up being a cold. I'm very upset that she lied to me, but I'm sure if it wasn't her kiddo it would've been another that brought it here.
daycarediva 09:52 AM 03-17-2014
Originally Posted by mamap:
Thanks, Diva! Do parents fight you on this or has it been easy to send kids home?

This all started from one parent insisting that it was allergies and wound up being a cold. I'm very upset that she lied to me, but I'm sure if it wasn't her kiddo it would've been another that brought it here.
I give them a sheet (from BC) and check off the symptoms. I added my illness policy to the bottom of it. If a child is sick, and they go to the pediatrician, I require a note. Doesn't eliminate it, but it helps. Most of my parents are pretty good about it.

"Sorry dcm, I have to have you come pick up little Sue. She is sneezing and coughing all over and I cannot maintain a sanitary environment. She can return when the cough is gone."
mamap 07:59 PM 03-17-2014
Thanks again Diva! I revised my policy to cover colds and gave a copy to my families with a little letter explaining why I had to make the change and so far they've all handled it very well and are understanding-I explained that the additional time I spend disinfecting and cleaning is taking time away from my being able to plan fun and educational activities for their kids. I think it helped-we'll see when the next cold goes around!!! I appreciate the advice!
DaycareMom 12:26 PM 03-18-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I give them a sheet (from BC) and check off the symptoms. I added my illness policy to the bottom of it. If a child is sick, and they go to the pediatrician, I require a note. Doesn't eliminate it, but it helps. Most of my parents are pretty good about it.

"Sorry dcm, I have to have you come pick up little Sue. She is sneezing and coughing all over and I cannot maintain a sanitary environment. She can return when the cough is gone."
Is it possible to see the sheet and your illness policy? TYIA
mamap 12:51 PM 03-18-2014
Hi Daycare Mom. I'm copying and pasting my sick policy:

"Children with the following conditions will not be allowed into the daycare home:

* Runny nose or cough for more than 5 days.
*Diarrhea.
* Vomiting - If child is vomiting please don't bring the child.
*Temperature - no temp. over 100 degrees.
*Ear infection / sinus infection - child must be on medication at least 24 hours before admittance.
* Pink Eye / conjunctivitis - Child must be on medication at least 24 hours before entering home.
* Childhood illnesses such as chickenpox, measles, mumps, etcetera.

If you are in doubt, please call me and we will make a joint decision. Please be honest to limit illness being spread throughout the childcare facility and all the student’s families. No tuition reimbursement will occur."

It is now this:

"Children with the following conditions will not be allowed into the daycare home:

* Runny nose or cough due to a contagious illness such as the common cold or the flu.
*Diarrhea.
* Vomiting - If child is vomiting please don't bring the child.
*Temperature - no temp. over 100 degrees.
*Ear infection / sinus infection - child must be on medication at least 24 hours before admittance.
* Pink Eye / conjunctivitis - Child must be on medication at least 24 hours before entering home.
* Childhood illnesses such as chickenpox, measles, mumps, etcetera. "

I sent this home last night with a letter:

"Dear Parents,

This year has been a particularly difficult year for colds. As a result, I’ve had to update my policy regarding the acceptance of children with colds and cold-like symptoms. Effective Monday, March 24, 2014 I will no longer accept children with illnesses.

I’ve always prided myself on being convenient and flexible with families and providing a safe learning environment for the children I serve. Allowing children with illnesses to attend has taken away from the time I am able to spend with the group and the time needed to plan and prepare the educational activities your children love to do.

Please see the attached copies of my previous and revised policies. I’m also including a new contract signature page that will need to be signed and returned this week.

Thank you so much for your understanding."

Sorry, that's a lot!!
Tags:24/48, colds, enforcing policies - consistency, illness policy, illnesses, infectious allergies, minor illness, policy
Reply Up