Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Changing My Policy For Drop Off Times
mickey2 07:42 AM 01-04-2011
I just don't know how to do this! I could really use some advice.

I start my day at approximately 6 am. I have children coming in anywhere from 6 30 am until 11 am. Everyone is actually here by 9 am which I love, except my 17 month old girl and another 2.5 year old boy. They are both from different families. Parents bring them in anywhere from 10 30 - 11 30 am. Boy comes in has not had anything to eat only a "bottle". He is 2.5 years old! He is so tired he can not function. He is so grumpy you can't even look at him. He mostly just lays on the floor basically until lunch and after lunch goes down for his nap and sleeps 2-2.5 hours which at least does not disturb nap time but he is hungry and very grumpy. The little 17 month old girl comes in, she has just gotten up! She was supposed to be here today but did not get here yet because she woke up this morning at 5 30 am so mom put her back to bed at 9 am! Mom is waiting for her to wake up. Most mornings she comes in between 10 30 and 11 30 and has just gotten up. She will not nap/rest or be quiet as she is just not tired. This is a very loud little girl who is a high pitched shreeker (in an excited way though, she is not a bad little girl) , therefore disturbs the other children's nap time. I would like to somehow get these children here earlier in the morning so that I can have them on a routine. When they started care it was supposed to be 8 30 am drop off and a no later than 4 30 pm pickup. These are the last 2 children that I accepted. I have changed my hours for any new children who start care. I used to work from 6 am - 6 pm but now it is 8 30 am - 4 30 pm. Both of these mom's work but choose their own hours at their jobs so just bring the children in anytime they want to in the morning. Both families stay up very late at night and so do their kids and sleep in the am. Nice for them I guess but not working for me!
legomom922 07:52 AM 01-04-2011
Would it be out of line to ask them if they can bring their kids to you by 830am? Explain it messes with your whole sch?
Blackcat31 08:00 AM 01-04-2011
I ask ALL my families to arrive by 9:00 a.m. I charge a daily or weekly rate so it does not add to the cost but if a family absolutely can not do that then I wouldn't insist but so far since I changed to that rule 2 yrs ago, everyone has managed it okay. I just explained that sometimes their kid misses out on things and so dropping off by 9 would help everyone be included and some of my dcm's even drop off in their PJ's and then go home and get ready for work.
KEG123 08:05 AM 01-04-2011
"Children must be dropped off at their scheduled arrival time, or else be charged an extra fee of XX amount for a late drop off."

I don't know? Just throwin it out there... lol
legomom922 08:29 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
"Children must be dropped off at their scheduled arrival time, or else be charged an extra fee of XX amount for a late drop off."

I don't know? Just throwin it out there... lol
I like this idea! It could be considered a "inconveinance fee"!
momatheart 09:47 AM 01-04-2011
I know what you mean by those late drop offs they drive me nuts as well.

I like the Inconvience fee!

From here on out if I were you I would state in your contract that all arrivals are to arrive before 9am. You will not take later arrivals because it is too disruptive to the other children and your daily routine.

You could also put out a letter that any child who arrives after 8:30 or whatever time you serve breakfast needs to be fed breakfast before arriving. Does not mean arriving with McDonald in tow.
E Daycare 10:07 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
I know what you mean by those late drop offs they drive me nuts as well.

I like the Inconvience fee!
Man you guys should see all that I added to my Inconvenience fee! This new year I updated my contract to a bunch of stuff I noticed was happening all last year and this late drop off was one of them.

I now require the child to have a scheduled time they are here. Im now open from 7am to 5:15 pm. I dont care if they are here that entire time or different times each day as long as I know and have it scheduled. I stated in my contract "I have activities planned for the children and will go about my day if a child is here or not. If a child is not here at scheduled time and I have not recieved a call then it is assumed the child will not be here. If you arrive and we are out on a day trip I am not obligated to drive home and you will have to find alternate care".

If they are here before or after that time then I start charging per 15min. I uped my fee to $7.00 and today alone it racked in 21$ because the father couldnt get his butt in gear. The mom called me 3 times today. Once to say they wouldnt be here at 6:50 but instead at 8, again at 8:30 to see if the kid was dropped off and again at 9 wanting to know again if the kid was here. So even though they are fully aware of this new policy goofy dad cost mom $21.00 today. Hes always the cause for their late fees and its only the 2nd day into the new year and new policy. At this rate Ill be able to pay off my car with all their late fees. hahaha
momatheart 10:11 AM 01-04-2011
Did you include in your new inconvience fee that 3 inconvience fees and you can expect a two week notice?
E Daycare 10:25 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
Did you include in your new inconvience fee that 3 inconvience fees and you can expect a two week notice?
No but thats a good idea! lol My ex sitter ran a home daycare and gave me that little additive about charging a fee and going about my day. I was at my wits end and maybe with these parents a two weeks notice would put them in gear. Im kinda interested in seeing how many fees they are willing to pay though LOL. If they keep up then I wont need to take on a extra kid. hahaha

My late fees per 15 minutes used to be 4$ but I saw that was kinda low according to others opinions. $7 seemed to fair enough to keep them from running but enough to keep them in check. So far my new policy is a failpolicy.
momatheart 10:30 AM 01-04-2011
The center I work at charges a dollar a minute you are late. And yes I will charge even for one minute.
Cat Herder 10:39 AM 01-04-2011
Mine states that breakfast will be served from 8:00 until 9:00am, anyone arriving after said time must be fed accordingly before arrival.

Drop off will be from 8:00am until 10:00am with one drop off per family/per day allowed (I do not allow the one sibling at a time drama, too disruptive ).

No drop off after 10:00am will be allowed without prior approval.

(I have never had a problem with it. It was in effect since day one.)
E Daycare 10:43 AM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
No drop off after 10:00am will be allowed without prior approval.
Man I LOVE that idea! Guess Ill add this to my next update lol.
Tags:drop off, drop off time, policy
Reply Up