Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holding Spots For Pregnant Clients
blessedmess8 07:26 AM 09-09-2011
Just curious, what do you charge someone who is pregnant to hold a spot for their child? Or do you?
bice99 08:54 AM 09-09-2011
Half rate for up to 2 months. If it's longer than that, I either do half or full rate. I have a separate contract. Non refundable.
mac60 10:08 AM 09-09-2011
I don't and have been burnt on this more than a couple times.
wdmmom 10:09 AM 09-09-2011
I will hold the spot up to 3 months for a 1 month deposit that is non refundable. I will apply 1/2 the deposit to when they start, the other half to the end.

If they want me to hold a spot for longer than 3 months, I charge a $50 weekly maintenance fee.

I will not for any reason hold for more than 4 months.
KEG123 11:11 AM 09-09-2011
I don't have any clause like that right now, but I think I'd be willing to hold a spot for 1/2 rate.
SimpleMom 05:38 PM 09-09-2011
I have a holding fee (non-refundable) of first and last weeks payment. I will hold for however long. I don't mind. I usually know when my next infant opening will be and like to have that spot filled.
Abigail 08:04 PM 09-09-2011
I have a holding fee contract, but I left the dollar amount blank. If someone was paying half the weekly fee that would add up fast! I guess I should find out if other daycares here charge a holding fee at half the weekly rate. I know where I work no fee is required and it's just "held" from verbal agreement, but I definately want a small holding fee at least and all the paperwork ready to go until the baby is born or they move into the area or the other daycare ends....whatever the reason for the holding fee.

My thoughts on this holding fee for being less than half the weekly rate is that I can temporarily fill the spot if I wanted and feel it's double enrollment almost. Also, If I had two or more spots available, I'm sure the future parent might suggest she'll take her chances and not do a holding fee contract if she believes the spot will be available if the holding fee might be too high.
blessedmess8 09:57 PM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I have a holding fee contract, but I left the dollar amount blank. If someone was paying half the weekly fee that would add up fast! I guess I should find out if other daycares here charge a holding fee at half the weekly rate. I know where I work no fee is required and it's just "held" from verbal agreement, but I definately want a small holding fee at least and all the paperwork ready to go until the baby is born or they move into the area or the other daycare ends....whatever the reason for the holding fee.

My thoughts on this holding fee for being less than half the weekly rate is that I can temporarily fill the spot if I wanted and feel it's double enrollment almost. Also, If I had two or more spots available, I'm sure the future parent might suggest she'll take her chances and not do a holding fee contract if she believes the spot will be available if the holding fee might be too high.
Around here it is pretty standard to have to pay to hold a spot. I have had plenty of parents who were more than willing to pay, but so far I haven't charged. However, it seems like bad business to do that because there is no guarantee they won't change their mind! I have a PT spot opening in Dec and a parent wanting it in Feb. Not enough time to temporarily fill it. I actually feel bad making them pay, but I have to think about myself, too! :-/
VTMom 06:07 PM 09-10-2011
I didn't have any holding fee or deposit and held spots for 6 months and was told (after I called a few times for a status report) that they found a daycare closer to work vs closer to home (which was me). Since then, I just have a non-refundable deposit equal to 2 weeks which is applied to care once they start.
Tags:holding spot - pregnancy, holding spots
Reply Up