Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Antibiotics Question
Little Star75 06:50 PM 05-09-2013
I tried looking up old threads but didn't find anything on this...

I have a DCP starting her dcg on Monday, today DCP text saying she took dcg to the doctors and was told dcg has an ear infection and was put on antibiotics and will be on it for 10 days. Can dcg start daycare while she's on antibiotics? Are we providers allowed to give antibiotics with a signed form?
Cradle2crayons 06:53 PM 05-09-2013
It differs from state to state. Licensed providers and centers do it here with a form and the antibiotic in the original container.

I follow the same regulations. I have a form that's the permission and the label directions and a box to sign off when I administer.. Since the kiddo will be in it for more than 24 hours it wouldn't be a issue here.

You'd have to see if your state allows it.
Cradle2crayons 06:58 PM 05-09-2013
If ya need a form, pm me and I'll shoot you one over
Little Star75 07:01 PM 05-09-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
If ya need a form, pm me and I'll shoot you one over
Thank you Crade2crayons
Solandia 06:10 AM 05-10-2013
Originally Posted by Little Star75:
I tried looking up old threads but didn't find anything on this...

I have a DCP starting her dcg on Monday, today DCP text saying she took dcg to the doctors and was told dcg has an ear infection and was put on antibiotics and will be on it for 10 days. Can dcg start daycare while she's on antibiotics? Are we providers allowed to give antibiotics with a signed form?
Sure, if they are otherwise feeling fine, I would allow the child to start. As for giving antibiotics, I can...but I don't. The coming back for the forgotten bottle, the fight to dose the child, the everything. It is totally on the parent. They can do it at home, even the 3x a day amox. Before daycare, right when they get home & right before bed.
KnoxMom 06:13 AM 05-10-2013
Originally Posted by Solandia:
Sure, if they are otherwise feeling fine, I would allow the child to start. As for giving antibiotics, I can...but I don't. The coming back for the forgotten bottle, the fight to dose the child, the everything. It is totally on the parent. They can do it at home, even the 3x a day amox. Before daycare, right when they get home & right before bed.
This. There is no reason I should have to administer an antibiotic unless it must be administered with breakfast/lunch. I don't see anything wrong with taking a child with an ear infection. A stomach virus or sinus infection would warrant staying at home, but with the medication an ear infection is more than tolerable. If anything, the child just might need to lay down a bit longer at nap and may not be as active. Poor baby
Cradle2crayons 06:15 AM 05-10-2013
That would be 700 am ish, 700pm ish, and 830 or 900 pm ish?? Sorry my nurse alarm is going off here. Those times are not acceptable dosing times... Unless of course the parent did 700 am, 700 pm and woke them up during the night at say 100 am??
Solandia 06:18 AM 05-10-2013
That would be 700 am ish, 700pm ish, and 830 or 900 pm ish?? Sorry my nurse alarm is going off here. Those times are not acceptable dosing times... Unless of course the parent did 700 am, 700 pm and woke them up during the night at say 100 am??
Most of my daycare kids are up early at home...so it would be more like 6/7am, 5pm, and then 8/9pm. Not hearing any big alarms.
Cradle2crayons 06:24 AM 05-10-2013
Most, but not all.... What about those that have to be taken with meals and they eat breakfast at your house??

Antibiotics would be the only meds I would be worried about... Once or twice a day meds aren't an issue because of their spacing. But antibiotics are different.

I think if I refused to give that lunch dose I'd have to have parents send a contact over to administer at lunch. Those things should be dosed three times a day spaced. If you give two doses too close together that can be dangerous depending on the drug and how fast the child clears the medication from their system.

To each their own though.
Little Star75 09:18 AM 05-10-2013

Little Star75 09:21 AM 05-10-2013
Most, but not all.... What about those that have to be taken with meals and they eat breakfast at your house??

Antibiotics would be the only meds I would be worried about... Once or twice a day meds aren't an issue because of their spacing. But antibiotics are different.

I think if I refused to give that lunch dose I'd have to have parents send a contact over to administer at lunch. Those things should be dosed three times a day spaced. If you give two doses too close together that can be dangerous depending on the drug and how fast the child clears the medication from their system.

To each their own though.
So true didnt think about this, this dcg is only 1 yr old.
canadiancare 09:24 AM 05-10-2013
My favourite anti-biotic is Cefaclor because it comes in an easy chewable format and you can dose it every 12 hours. That is the one I try to get my parents to request so I don't have to worry about giving it to them.
Tags:antibiotics
Reply Up