Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help! Toe tourniquet/hair tourniquet
Pestle 02:09 PM 05-22-2017
Just discovered a hair tourniquet around a 6mo's toe. (Not my hair, thank God.) Texted the mom. A diff. relative is about to pick up today and doesn't know about it yet.

It's on there very tightly and wrapped around several times, but I don't think it's cut through the skin yet. I'm not comfortable going at it with tweezers. Would you just leave things at informing the mother, and then check at drop off tomorrow to be sure they've removed it?

How should I suggest they remove it? Should I not offer any suggestions, in case they hurt her while trying?
Josiegirl 02:27 PM 05-22-2017
Can't you take some tiny scissors and snip it? I think I'd try to get it off, although if it's not changing color or anything, I'm thinking it's not an emergency? But I'd still try to remove it. JMO
sharlan 03:20 PM 05-22-2017
Others may disagree, but I would definitely remove it.
Max 07:46 PM 05-22-2017
Oh my gosh! Someone told me a story of this happening to their child once but I thought 'what are the odds?'

If the toe hasn't changed color and isn't cold, then I would remove it. If it looks like its been there awhile or has effectively stopped circulation... then I guess I would wait. If it has cut off circulation for awhile, I think there's risk by allowing the oxygen deprived blood back into the bloodstream.

I'm NOT a medical professional. In the military we were taught never to remove a tourniquet (leave it for a medical professional) irregardless of the severity of the wound. Granted this is much different, but the word tourniquet has me thinking it should be left alone until at least a call to the doctor is made.

If you don't remove it, of course make sure it's gone before the child is brought back to care
Pestle 04:07 AM 05-23-2017
Aunt was almost at the door for pickup when I discovered it. Plus it was TIGHT. I picked at it a bit before she arrived, but I couldn't get a hold of it with my fine-tipped tweezers. I didn't want to risk injuring the toe by dealing with it myself.

I memorized which toe it was and I'll check it when they arrive in half an hour.
daycarediva 06:13 AM 05-23-2017
This happened to dd. We caught it early, but it was a PITB to remove, ended up using those tick tweezers.
Pestle 07:44 AM 05-23-2017
They got it off last night but it took two people working at the same time. Another day, another crisis, huh?
Tags:first aid
Reply Up