Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Temp 99.8
mrs.meg 06:06 AM 09-03-2009
Would you send them home, he has a deep cough and I am freaking out with my 2 year old and my newborn baby here. UGH! Brother was sick with bronchitis Mon and Tues
GretasLittleFriends 06:13 AM 09-03-2009
In your situation, with the newborn baby, yes. Especially considering brother was sick. Temp of 99.8. MN law says anything over 100. But in this case I'd round up.

If it were me, it would honestly depend on who I had in my care. If it were just that family and my son (who rarely gets sick even though exposed to lots) I'd probably keep them. But if I had other kids, especially an infant, I'd send them home.

Good luck and stay healthy!
ConcernedMotherof2 06:16 AM 09-03-2009
A cough and a temperature of 99.8 would make me keep my kids home. I don't know about the mom of the sick boy you have in care, but as a parent, I'd want to have the little one at home with me.
AmandasFCC 06:29 AM 09-03-2009
Yup, send him home.
sweetcinna 06:52 AM 09-03-2009
I usually wait till the temp is bout 101. But with a new baby in the house......I think i would send him home also. They tell you not to even bring your child into the docs office now a days unless the fever is at least 103 or higher.
Former Teacher 06:53 AM 09-03-2009
a parent at my former center. I will admit her baby was one of my favorites. While she was a very nice person, I did not like her parenting skills. There were some things that her and I just did not see eye to eye on. Plus this was her SECOND child!

Anyway, she came into the center. The director was in (for a change). You could see that Katie (her name) was not feeling good. Her eyes were very droopy. She wasn't her smiling self. She just was not Katie.

Being that I was her main caregiver, I insisted that we take her temp. Mother swore to me she was fine. She was just still tired. The director came in and then I DEMANDED that the temp be taken. I knew my children that I cared for and again THIS WAS NOT THE KATIE I KNEW (sorry about the caps haha)

TX minimum standards state that a child must be removed from the center at 100.4. Katie's temp was 100.3. We explained to the mother that while she didnt have to leave with her, once it reached 100.4 she then would be required to pick her up. This mother worked 30 mins. away. She said she would go to work anyway. We stressed to her that once it reached that extra .1 Katie needed to be removed from the center. The mother was fine with that. She told us that she would call often throughout the day.

Katies temp. never went up nor it go down. It said at 100.3 ALL day. Plus in a span of Katie's 11 hour day, the mother called only once, on her lunch break.
Unregistered 07:05 AM 09-03-2009
Bronchitis in a sibling and a low grade temp would cause me to send them home. Especially with a new baby. That is a recipe for RSV or pnuemonia in the little one.
mrs.meg 09:04 AM 09-03-2009
I called mom and she stated that she had just gotten to Lexington, which is about 30 miles from where we live. I told her that his temp had gotten up to 100.2 and since I do have a baby here, I would appreciate it if she could pick him up. She insisted that he just is tired from getting up earlier with the brother for preschool. Well, brother was sick 3 days ago with a fever, why does she think I am lying? I told her that he laid around all morning and that it isn't like him, even when he is tired he is very active and never stops playing and being active. I really believe the child doesn't feel well. So, she finally said she would get him, and sent her elderly grandmother-in-law. How inconsiderate can a person be? I just know that she is going to say he has not had a fever since!
tymaboy 09:13 AM 09-03-2009
This is what I have in my policy- Other providers have helped me this or it would not be so indept.

Originally Posted by :
Child's Illness:
Under no circumstance is a sick child to attend the child care. If a child is home sick, then the siblings must stay home too in case of passing on the illness. The other children in care are exposed to any disease your child may bring into the home. Obviously, it is not possible to prevent the spread of all illness. However, minimizing exposure and providing good hygienic practices in the child care home are means by which we can limit the problem and the resulting inconvenience. Accordingly, for the benefit of all involved, the following policies will be strictly enforced:

I reserve the right to determine whether a child should remain in the home where illness is a consideration. This means if a child is sick throughout the night, the child CANNOT attend the child care. Also if a child is too sick to go to school, the child is also to sick for child care. If your child becomes sick at child care, the parents are responsible for making sure they or their emergency caregiver pick up the child within one hour after being notified. If a child is not picked up within that one hour, a $20.00 fee will be added per hour (or partial hour) to your child care for that day. DHS will not pay for any late fees that are accumulated.

Children who have exhibited ANY symptoms of infectious illness within the proceeding 24-hour period are likely to be contagious and should remain at home. Examples of associated symptoms include, but are not limited to:

hacking or continuous coughing yellow or green runny nose

Severe itching of body and scalp.
head lice
fever of 100F
sore throat
Infected skin, eyes or an undiagnosed rash. Unusual or unexplained loss of appetite, fatigue, irritability or headache.

An intestinal or stomach disorder, including diarrhea, cramps, loose stool, nausea or vomiting. Your child MUST by symptom free without medication (i.e. not on Tylenol to reduce the fever) for 24 hours before they can return to childcare.

Excessive Crankiness: If your child is irritable, excessively whining or crying, wants constantly held, or requires more attention than I can provide and still give adequate attention for the other children in my care. If your child has been prescribed an antibiotic for a contagious illness, the child(ren) must be on the medication for 24 hours and showing signs of improvement before returning.

If a child is sent home ill, the child will not be accepted back until the child has been symptom free for 24 hours. I.E. - Child can not return following day.
I also use http://www.ucsfchildcarehealth.org/h...snotesmain.htm as a resource. It comes in handy when parents try to tell me its cuz of teething or whatever other excuse they think it is.
Chickenhauler 10:24 PM 09-06-2009
Originally Posted by mrs.meg:
I called mom and she stated that she had just gotten to Lexington, which is about 30 miles from where we live. I told her that his temp had gotten up to 100.2 and since I do have a baby here, I would appreciate it if she could pick him up. She insisted that he just is tired from getting up earlier with the brother for preschool. Well, brother was sick 3 days ago with a fever, why does she think I am lying? I told her that he laid around all morning and that it isn't like him, even when he is tired he is very active and never stops playing and being active. I really believe the child doesn't feel well. So, she finally said she would get him, and sent her elderly grandmother-in-law. How inconsiderate can a person be? I just know that she is going to say he has not had a fever since!
What some might call inconsiderate may also be people trying to hold onto their jobs these days.

I know there's laws about discriminating against people cuz they have kids, but in today's job market with downsizing, RIF's, etc going on constantly, the supervisors are always looking for who's going to be the next neck on the chopping block, and if Mrs Mom is out with sick kids alot..........WHACK!
ConcernedMotherof2 05:38 AM 09-09-2009
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
What some might call inconsiderate may also be people trying to hold onto their jobs these days.

I know there's laws about discriminating against people cuz they have kids, but in today's job market with downsizing, RIF's, etc going on constantly, the supervisors are always looking for who's going to be the next neck on the chopping block, and if Mrs Mom is out with sick kids alot..........WHACK!

Thank you, Chickenhauler! This is so true, so much of the time. I actually considered sending my child to school yesterday, even though she woke up with a very high fever. She was dressed, lunch packed and all ready to go. By the time we got to the daycare, she had cooled down a bit, but she still wasn't feeling well, so I made a last minute decision to send her brother on to school and take her to work with me (luckily I work with a lot of family and have that option), but the worry of causing waves at work led me to that indecisiveness about my child. It's not that I don't care about her or the other kids at the dc and school--I do! I was worried about my job. It's such a fragile balance because without my job, how do I provide for my kids?
mrs.meg 06:47 AM 09-09-2009
Well Chickenhauler,

I understand what you are saying about keeping her job, but mom was not working, she was shopping and having a day trip with her mother. I happen to be a mom of 2 kids who have almost died from illnesses and I find it very inconsiderate that she would take a sick child to her elderly grandmother's house, she didn't even come home until after her son got off the bus at 4:00 at my house.

Elderly people and infants should be protected from illnesses if at all possible and not exposed. I feel it is very inconsiderate to ask a woman in her 80s to care for a child with a fever especially since the different flus and viruses going around. That is my opinion, I would lose my job before I would expose my elderly grandfather to a disease that could put him in the hospital. My children are mine and my husband's responsibility and not anyone else's.

I also happen to feel that many people this day in age work to maintain a status and lifestyle that are way beyond their means. I am sure many people have to work, but many other people could stay home and care for their own children if we didn't live in such a materialistic society. My house is crap, everything in it is crap, because I choose to stay home and make very little income.
Chickenhauler 03:23 AM 09-12-2009
Originally Posted by mrs.meg:
Well Chickenhauler,

I understand what you are saying about keeping her job, but mom was not working, she was shopping and having a day trip with her mother. I happen to be a mom of 2 kids who have almost died from illnesses and I find it very inconsiderate that she would take a sick child to her elderly grandmother's house, she didn't even come home until after her son got off the bus at 4:00 at my house.
That's just being a lame excuse for a DNA replicator (not everyone is a parent).

Originally Posted by :
Elderly people and infants should be protected from illnesses if at all possible and not exposed. I feel it is very inconsiderate to ask a woman in her 80s to care for a child with a fever especially since the different flus and viruses going around. That is my opinion, I would lose my job before I would expose my elderly grandfather to a disease that could put him in the hospital. My children are mine and my husband's responsibility and not anyone else's.
I hear what you're saying, but you have to remember that family is family-my wife grew up in a house where there was 4 generations present. Grandma was there just like mom, dad, sister, and later her own daughter.

Originally Posted by :
I also happen to feel that many people this day in age work to maintain a status and lifestyle that are way beyond their means. I am sure many people have to work, but many other people could stay home and care for their own children if we didn't live in such a materialistic society. My house is crap, everything in it is crap, because I choose to stay home and make very little income.
I always say "Working to make the payments (not to actually buy the stuff, just make the payments) on stuff you don't need, to pretend to be someone you're not, to impress people who don't care.

I have a sister who is 15 years older than I, you'd think she would be a little better off in life, but she lives just like I described. Big house, fancy cars, flashy lifestyle, and broke because of it.

We don't have the latest and greatest, but we save up, pay cash and buy the best quality we can (usually used) and take good care of our stuff.

I will say this about kids going to DC-they do get to interact with others, and learn some valuable social skills among their peers. I have noticed that kids who don't seem a bit "behind" those who do go to DC when it comes to kindergarten in this dept.
Former Teacher 11:23 AM 09-12-2009
Originally Posted by ConcernedMotherof2:
Thank you, Chickenhauler! This is so true, so much of the time. I actually considered sending my child to school yesterday, even though she woke up with a very high fever. She was dressed, lunch packed and all ready to go. By the time we got to the daycare, she had cooled down a bit, but she still wasn't feeling well, so I made a last minute decision to send her brother on to school and take her to work with me (luckily I work with a lot of family and have that option), but the worry of causing waves at work led me to that indecisiveness about my child. It's not that I don't care about her or the other kids at the dc and school--I do! I was worried about my job. It's such a fragile balance because without my job, how do I provide for my kids?
Concerned Mom, you were going to send your child to school anyway? Even though she did cool down a bit? I have always respected your posts. But I don't get this one. Your child was running a fever. I am not a doctor but fevers are contagious. By sending your daughter, regardless of whether or not it did go down a bit and she was rearing to go, you would have exposed someone else's child. I am sure if another parent was in the postion you were in, and they did send the child in, and your children got sick, you wouldn't have been happy.

I totally understand that in todays world our jobs are a high priority. So are our children. I know you said you do care and I know you do, but sending a child ill, regardless, just sets off a line of illnesses.

I remember once at my former center. This girl who was 5 at the time was running a 102 temp. She was fine. She was just hot to the touch and her face was flushed and her eyes, you could just tell. But she wanted to stay. Of course we had to call dad. He came and saw her playing and he wasn't going to take her. He gave us the reason how he needed to work and he needed the money. Our director always loved a sob story and she was actually going to let stay because she was playing. I was like DUH! You are starting a chain reaction. One gets sick and then they all start. Well, TX min. standards state at 100.4 the child MUST be picked up. I gently reminded the director this. So she asked the father would he like it if his daughter played with someone who was and looked like she was. He agreed no. Then he took her.

Long story short, I guess my post is just surprised to read that you would have sent your daughter to school like that. Of course over the years I have encountered parents like that. However, as I said, I have always respected your posts and this one just threw me for a loop
ConcernedMotherof2 07:07 AM 09-14-2009
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Concerned Mom, you were going to send your child to school anyway? Even though she did cool down a bit? I have always respected your posts. But I don't get this one. Your child was running a fever. I am not a doctor but fevers are contagious. By sending your daughter, regardless of whether or not it did go down a bit and she was rearing to go, you would have exposed someone else's child. I am sure if another parent was in the postion you were in, and they did send the child in, and your children got sick, you wouldn't have been happy.

I totally understand that in todays world our jobs are a high priority. So are our children. I know you said you do care and I know you do, but sending a child ill, regardless, just sets off a line of illnesses.

I remember once at my former center. This girl who was 5 at the time was running a 102 temp. She was fine. She was just hot to the touch and her face was flushed and her eyes, you could just tell. But she wanted to stay. Of course we had to call dad. He came and saw her playing and he wasn't going to take her. He gave us the reason how he needed to work and he needed the money. Our director always loved a sob story and she was actually going to let stay because she was playing. I was like DUH! You are starting a chain reaction. One gets sick and then they all start. Well, TX min. standards state at 100.4 the child MUST be picked up. I gently reminded the director this. So she asked the father would he like it if his daughter played with someone who was and looked like she was. He agreed no. Then he took her.

Long story short, I guess my post is just surprised to read that you would have sent your daughter to school like that. Of course over the years I have encountered parents like that. However, as I said, I have always respected your posts and this one just threw me for a loop
FormerTeacher, you're right. I didn't send her and I really don't think I would have. The point was that the thought process was there. I, myself, was surprised that I even came close to sending her to school (I had her in her uniform, packed her lunch and everything), but she was obviously in no shape to go to school and I didn't send her.

It may sound selfish, but on my part, I wasn't thinking about her spreading illness. (if I had been concerned about that, I wouldn't have made her brother go to school, because he had obviously been exposed, though he never came down with anything) My thoughts were entirely with her and the fact that a child that sick really needs to be at home, comfy on the couch with pillow and blanket. The problem is that I even considered sending her to school, because in my mind, part of me was putting my job ahead of her immediate well-being. When it came down to it, I took my little girl home (her comfort was more important)... but my post was in response to ChickenHauler who brought up how we can't just forget that sometimes we *have to* work, even when it would be best to stay home with our kids.
mac60 07:14 AM 09-14-2009
The whole sickness thing, I hate having to deal with it. Unfortunately for many people, they do have to make a choice in staying home with their sick child and sending them to daycare to keep their job. It is reality and I understand that and when I worked out of the house I lived it. Sometimes as parents we are forced to make decisions that in normal circumstances we wouldn't make......like our child is not feeling good and I still have to go to work to save my job.
Former Teacher 01:55 PM 09-14-2009
Originally Posted by ConcernedMotherof2:
FormerTeacher, you're right. I didn't send her and I really don't think I would have. The point was that the thought process was there. I, myself, was surprised that I even came close to sending her to school (I had her in her uniform, packed her lunch and everything), but she was obviously in no shape to go to school and I didn't send her.

It may sound selfish, but on my part, I wasn't thinking about her spreading illness. (if I had been concerned about that, I wouldn't have made her brother go to school, because he had obviously been exposed, though he never came down with anything) My thoughts were entirely with her and the fact that a child that sick really needs to be at home, comfy on the couch with pillow and blanket. The problem is that I even considered sending her to school, because in my mind, part of me was putting my job ahead of her immediate well-being. When it came down to it, I took my little girl home (her comfort was more important)... but my post was in response to ChickenHauler who brought up how we can't just forget that sometimes we *have to* work, even when it would be best to stay home with our kids.
I agree, it is a shame that in today's world, parents have to make that decision. Your post just baffled me because you sound like an awesome mom and when I read that I was like WHAT?!? haha Anyway, thanks for clearing it up. I don't know you from the person across the street, but again, you sound like you are an awesome mom. Your children are lucky to have you as a mom!
ConcernedMotherof2 05:51 AM 09-15-2009
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
I agree, it is a shame that in today's world, parents have to make that decision. Your post just baffled me because you sound like an awesome mom and when I read that I was like WHAT?!? haha Anyway, thanks for clearing it up. I don't know you from the person across the street, but again, you sound like you are an awesome mom. Your children are lucky to have you as a mom!
Just wanted to say thank you! I've been honest in my posts here and admitted to some short-comings as a parent... and it just gives me a warm happy to get the greatest compliment any parent can get--Awesome mom. I know you don't know me... but I'll take it because if I succeed at ONE measely thing on this earth, it will be raising healthy, happy, well-adjusted and well-mannered kids.

(I had smiliey's throughout this post, but had to delete most of them... lol)
Tags:fever - policy, sickness policy, temperature
Reply Up