Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Impressed My Food Program Rep (California)
familyschoolcare 04:10 PM 07-25-2011
So this morning my food program rep called and asked if he could come by for my first visit, so we scheduled it for PM snack. While he was here I asked him about the water and milk changes going into effect January 1st. He was wow how did you hear about that “we” (meaning himself and his colleagues) I and other food program reps have been telling people and they are like what you are kidding. So I told him all about this forum and how I found out about he milk changes we talked about them and he said he is not sure about the changes “they” are afraid that parents are going to be upset.

I also asked about what having clean drinking water readily available means. I explained to him that in my house we drink tap water. I asked so is saying here is your cup still on the counter from last time you drank something and there is the sink good enougph. He said that tap water was ok given the area I live in if I lived where it was well water and not city water that might be an issue because those people do not always know about a problem with the water until after the fact. He was not sure about the cups on the counter be good enough he was going to get back to me he admits that is having water available. However, he says that a child might not see it that way and “they” are working on the details still but he thinks that they are leaning to the children need to be able to help themselves to the water. (Oh what fun, I do school age so for me not as big a deal as someone that has several 2 and 3 year olds) He said he would get back to me when he knows.
meganlavonnesmommy 04:49 PM 07-25-2011
Wow, do they realize what a mess it will be if children need to be able to help themselves to water? The older kids its easy, cups that remain at the table is no big deal. Except we use the table for activities, so I can move the cups to the kitchen.
But what about the little ones? I hvae 3-2 year olds. Per our program rules they have to use regular (non sippy cups) after age 18 months. So I am supposed to let a 2 year old have access all day to a cup of water with no top? I dont think so! I'll have wet floors and wet carpets.

I really hope they think that through.
daycare 04:57 PM 07-25-2011
Oh dear what a mess letting a toddler/preschool serve themselves. I dont even let my own 3 year old serve himself water, as the one time I did he got water all over my ceramic tile floor and I did not know it was wet. I walked by and slipped and had 4 stiches put in my chin...

Food program days might be over for me if this self help water system cones into place.
familyschoolcare 05:22 PM 07-25-2011
They have not fully deiced but that is what they are leaning too so when your food program rep comes tell him/her your concerns, maybe that will help.
MarinaVanessa 10:35 AM 07-26-2011
I don't know about any other of you providers but I already have a DCM that is giving me grief over this. I put the info about it in this month's newletter and yesterday (I'm starting to believe that she just now read the newsletter) she was concerned about it. She told me that she didn't agree and that she wanted me to continue giving her 2yo DCB whole milk.

I explained that I wasn't giving it yet and that it wouldn't start until next year but she was still insistent that I give him whole milk only. I said that as of next year I wouldn't be able to do that (explained in the newsletter) if it was a regulation, she said that she would provide me with the milk and I told her that not having the milk wasn't the issue ... that serving the right milk was and that I had to serve whatever the regulation and food program said (also in the newsletter). She said that they (meaning licensing and the food program) would never know and how it was Dr's orders to give him whole milk to which I said PERFECT!! because I needed a Dr's note in order to substitute whatever was required.

She she told me that she would write me a letter to show the food program and I had to repeat myself and tell her that it HAD to be a Dr's note and she said that a letter from her would have to do until she went back for his next appointment for a note from the Dr ... and I just ended it by telling her that it was a long way from the reg being in effect anyway and that she had plenty of time to write a letter to fight the regulation, call licensing and the food program etc. but that once it was in effect that I wouldn't substitute the 2% milk for whole milk without a doctor's note. Why is it that they all start off normal and nice and then they get set on one rediculous issue . I'm still stuck on the fact that she told me that "they" would never know ... and still wanted me to serve him the milk she wanted.
MarinaVanessa 10:41 AM 07-26-2011
Originally Posted by joynerportia@yahoo:
They have not fully deiced but that is what they are leaning too so when your food program rep comes tell him/her your concerns, maybe that will help.
When I talked to my food program rep I asked if sippy cups and spill-proof cups at children's level counted as "readily available" as long as I always kept them filled and available all day. I explained to her that here each child had their own cups to match their cubby colors (sippy's for the 1yo's and spill-proof cups with straws for the 2yo and older) and she seemed satisfied with that. I bet it will differ from area to area and will depend on each rep's "interpretation"
daycare 10:42 AM 07-26-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I don't know about any other of you CA providers but I already have a DCM that is giving me grief over this. I put the info about it in this month's newletter and yesterday (I'm starting to believe that she just now read the newsletter) she was concerned about it. She told me that she didn't agree and that she wanted me to continue giving her 2yo DCB whole milk.

I explained that I wasn't giving it yet and that it wouldn't start until next year but she was still insistent that I give him whole milk only. I said that as of next year I wouldn't be able to do that (explained in the newsletter) if it was a regulation, she said that she would provide me with the milk and I told her that not having the milk wasn't the issue ... that serving the right milk was and that I had to serve whatever the regulation and food program said (also in the newsletter). She said that they (meaning licensing and the food program) would never know and how it was Dr's orders to give him whole milk to which I said PERFECT!! because I needed a Dr's note in order to substitute whatever was required.

She she told me that she would write me a letter to show the food program and I had to repeat myself and tell her that it HAD to be a Dr's note and she said that a letter from her would have to do until she went back for his next appointment for a note from the Dr ... and I just ended it by telling her that it was a long way from the reg being in effect anyway and that she had plenty of time to write a letter to fight the regulation, call licensing and the food program etc. but that once it was in effect that I wouldn't substitute the 2% milk for whole milk without a doctor's note. Why is it that they all start off normal and nice and then they get set on one rediculous issue . I'm still stuck on the fact that she told me that "they" would never know ... and still wanted me to serve him the milk she wanted.
gggerrrr. I feel for you. I really dislike it when parents ask us to bend the rules... I tell parents right up front, sorry I follow the rules to the T, as nothing is worth losing my business/food program over.

I had a family get really upset with me when I refused to give out other DCF personal information. Sorry I play by the book and I don't care how long you have been my client, Im not breaking the rules for you.....
Crystal 10:49 AM 07-26-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I don't know about any other of you providers but I already have a DCM that is giving me grief over this. I put the info about it in this month's newletter and yesterday (I'm starting to believe that she just now read the newsletter) she was concerned about it. She told me that she didn't agree and that she wanted me to continue giving her 2yo DCB whole milk.

just tell her you only serve him two cups of milk a day anyway, and 2% is not an unhealthy alternative and that she is welcome to continue serving whole milk at home to ensure she meets his needs as she deems fit, but you are reuqired to follow FEDERAL REGULATIONS.
laundrymom 11:04 AM 07-26-2011
It says cups on counter, kids asking for it is ok

http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/Care/Reg...FP-20-2011.pdf

Originally Posted by joynerportia@yahoo:
So this morning my food program rep called and asked if he could come by for my first visit, so we scheduled it for PM snack. While he was here I asked him about the water and milk changes going into effect January 1st. He was wow how did you hear about that “we” (meaning himself and his colleagues) I and other food program reps have been telling people and they are like what you are kidding. So I told him all about this forum and how I found out about he milk changes we talked about them and he said he is not sure about the changes “they” are afraid that parents are going to be upset.

I also asked about what having clean drinking water readily available means. I explained to him that in my house we drink tap water. I asked so is saying here is your cup still on the counter from last time you drank something and there is the sink good enougph. He said that tap water was ok given the area I live in if I lived where it was well water and not city water that might be an issue because those people do not always know about a problem with the water until after the fact. He was not sure about the cups on the counter be good enough he was going to get back to me he admits that is having water available. However, he says that a child might not see it that way and “they” are working on the details still but he thinks that they are leaning to the children need to be able to help themselves to the water. (Oh what fun, I do school age so for me not as big a deal as someone that has several 2 and 3 year olds) He said he would get back to me when he knows.

morgan24 11:11 AM 07-26-2011
I just resigned with the food program and my rep said "readily available" water to them doesn't mean cups sitting around with water in them, but offering water when asked for a drink. I drink a ton of water so all my kids have a sports type refillable water bottle that is in the fridge and when asked I get it for them. I think if anyone doesn't like the milk option I will offer them the option of not being on the food program and paying me what the food program pays me per meal and snack.
MarinaVanessa 12:03 PM 07-26-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
just tell her you only serve him two cups of milk a day anyway, and 2% is not an unhealthy alternative and that she is welcome to continue serving whole milk at home to ensure she meets his needs as she deems fit, but you are reuqired to follow FEDERAL REGULATIONS.
Oh believe me I did tell her . I not once gave her any impression that I would bend the rules especially state or federal regulations. My newsletter even had a seperate section for the food program (since I just signed up again I wanted to explain how it worked so that it was a refresher for old DC families and new families learned about it) and I specifically went into detail about how I would serve what they said and there would be no exceptions unless I had a Dr's note which is what the food program requires.

I also had a seperate section for the new regulation and I specifically quoted the regulation and said that there would be no exceptions so I found it plain silly that she would even ask and then argue it.
MarinaVanessa 12:15 PM 07-26-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
It says cups on counter, kids asking for it is ok

http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/Care/Reg...FP-20-2011.pdf
Thanks for the link, I printed it so that I can have it just in case I have any issues
Tags:food program
Reply Up