Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bee Stings
Sunchimes 06:28 PM 05-02-2014
I've always been concerned about the yellow jackets and other flying creatures that visit out play yard. I make sure there are no nests, but we all know that they are going to show up now and then. None of my kids have ever been stung, so who knows what sort of reaction they might have.

One of my high school friends was stung last week and went into anaphylactic shock and cardiac arrest. He has been in a coma since then. I just wonder what-if any-precautions you guys take in case of a sting.
Michael 07:05 PM 05-02-2014
There are s few threads on Epi Pens. Here is one

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30585
Sunchimes 07:16 PM 05-02-2014
Thanks Michael, but I don't think an epi-pen would work for this since they are for known allergies. None of my kids have ever been stung, but I worry that the first sting will happen here and we will find out only then that there is an allergy.
jenboo 07:22 PM 05-02-2014
I worry about the same thing!! I have one boy who's dad is deathly allergic. The boy hasnt been stung so they don't know about him.
We are starting to see a few bees outside with water play and they always migrate towards this boy!!
Oss_cc 08:46 PM 05-02-2014
I worry about this, too. I have a couple of epi pens on hand because of a severe reaction my DD had to penicillin, but I think they may have expired. I guess if it came down to it, I might call 911 and ask their advice on the epi pen. Hmmm, maybe I should get permission from the DCPs ahead of time on this as a "just in case".
Maria2013 06:12 AM 05-03-2014
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
Thanks Michael, but I don't think an epi-pen would work for this since they are for known allergies. None of my kids have ever been stung, but I worry that the first sting will happen here and we will find out only then that there is an allergy.
I've had to carry around an epi-pen for a child in my care, cause of allergy to bee sting....I was told it is only good for up to 15-20 minutes after injecting, probably not long enough for the paramedics to reach us...it is a scary thought, but I'm not sure there is anything else that can be done, other than check for nests and spray
Second Home 06:21 AM 05-05-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I worry about the same thing!! I have one boy who's dad is deathly allergic. The boy hasnt been stung so they don't know about him.
We are starting to see a few bees outside with water play and they always migrate towards this boy!!
My dh is also allergic to bees . I asked my allergist if my kids were more at risk of being allergic to bees because my husband is and he said no . A child is not at a greater risk of being allergic just because a parent is .
CraftyMom 06:39 AM 05-05-2014
I was also wondering if I could have an epi pen on site just in case. You don't know if anyone is allergic until they are stung. I have an expired one that I keep just in case, as pp mentioned, I would call 911 first but if a child was having a reaction in front of me I would use it
Blackcat31 07:53 AM 05-05-2014
I share this same fear.... but for me.

I have never ever been stung by a bee and have NO idea if I am allergic or not.
ihop 08:05 AM 05-05-2014
I worry about this too. None of my dcks or assistant have ever been stung. In my first aid class they talked over and over about never administering an epi pen that isn't prescribed to that person. Even if you watch them get stung and then see some sort of problem, it doesn't necessarily mean its anaphylaxis. Also, you never know what kind of reaction the person could have from the epi pen itself. Not a risk im willing to take.
craftymissbeth 08:56 AM 05-05-2014
IHOP is right... don't ever, ever administer an epi pen for a person it wasn't prescribed for. Just like we would never give a child another's antibiotics, asthma meds, etc. these are prescribed medications and it is against the law to give them to anyone else. Also, even if it were to save a child's life you will be held accountable regardless for sharing meds.

Since epi pens are prescribed, you can't get one just to have on hand... except for someone with an allergy, obviously.
CraftyMom 10:49 AM 05-05-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
IHOP is right... don't ever, ever administer an epi pen for a person it wasn't prescribed for. Just like we would never give a child another's antibiotics, asthma meds, etc. these are prescribed medications and it is against the law to give them to anyone else. Also, even if it were to save a child's life you will be held accountable regardless for sharing meds.

Since epi pens are prescribed, you can't get one just to have on hand... except for someone with an allergy, obviously.
You are correct, you should never share meds. I absolutely agree with you. I would only do this in an extreme emergency where waiting for paramedics could mean life or death. An epi pen is Epinephrine which is made naturally in everyone's body (adrenaline) and is produced by the body in increased amounts during times of danger, excitement or stress among other things. The chance of a reaction from an epi pen is tiny when compared to the child possibly dying without it.

I would as I mentioned call 911 first, if they advised against it I would not do it
craftymissbeth 11:43 AM 05-05-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
You are correct, you should never share meds. I absolutely agree with you. I would only do this in an extreme emergency where waiting for paramedics could mean life or death. An epi pen is Epinephrine which is made naturally in everyone's body (adrenaline) and is produced by the body in increased amounts during times of danger, excitement or stress among other things. The chance of a reaction from an epi pen is tiny when compared to the child possibly dying without it.

I would as I mentioned call 911 first, if they advised against it I would not do it
While you're correct about what an epi pen contains and you're free to make your own choices, I just want to put it out there for readers who come across the forum looking for answers that even if 911 gave you "permission" it is still illegal because that pen is still prescribed for someone else. If that child were to live because of the pen, that's awesome, but if the pen didn't help and they unfortunately still died you would open yourself up to BIG time trouble. In fact, you'd open yourself up to trouble regardless.

My advice, don't rely on 911's "permission" and think you'll be safe. Just don't do it period. Better yet, simply try to prevent bee stings from happening. Not sure HOW to do that, though.
Tags:allergic reactions, allergies, bee sting, epi-pen, epipen
Reply Up