Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Soooo, Who Does Water Activities For Their Kids?
Michelle 08:47 AM 06-24-2012

Remembering last years "interesting" thread

We do sprinklers, water tables, slip and slides, and I take them to the public kiddie pool. When they get all grumpy and hot we just do the water thing and all is well in the world! lol
We are not able to do a lot of kayaking this year because we have mostly littles this summer.

Does anyone have any more water suggestions? (for littles)
BumbleBee 09:16 AM 06-24-2012
At the center I worked at we did sprinklers and water tables. I would also put all of the outside ride on toys in a circle with a couple pans of soapy water in the middle. Then I would give the kids paint brushes and let them "paint" the toys. When they were done I would rinse the toys off and let them air dry.
Michelle 09:27 AM 06-24-2012
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
At the center I worked at we did sprinklers and water tables. I would also put all of the outside ride on toys in a circle with a couple pans of soapy water in the middle. Then I would give the kids paint brushes and let them "paint" the toys. When they were done I would rinse the toys off and let them air dry.
really good idea!
Abigail 10:45 AM 06-24-2012
I went to a class on how to keep kids moving and one thing included water play. You give the kids sponges and fill one or more buckets on one side of the yard with water and have an empty bucket(s) on the other side of the yard for them to "sponge" up as much water as possible and carry it and squeeze it into the empty bucket(s) then go back and get more.
sharlan 11:25 AM 06-24-2012
I just do the standard - beach, Raging Waters, our pool, water table, sprinkler, squirt guns (YES, I allow guns). I may brave a local lake this year as my dh says he wants to take his boat on it instead of the ocean.
Michelle 04:16 PM 06-24-2012
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I went to a class on how to keep kids moving and one thing included water play. You give the kids sponges and fill one or more buckets on one side of the yard with water and have an empty bucket(s) on the other side of the yard for them to "sponge" up as much water as possible and carry it and squeeze it into the empty bucket(s) then go back and get more.
LOVE this!
my little can do this
keep them coming
spud912 04:18 PM 06-24-2012
I have a baby pool I pull out once a week. Otherwise, we play with the hose, sprinklers, water guns (but they are in the shape of fish and they are not allowed to spray others), buckets of water, water tables, water balloons (again, not to be thrown at others), etc.
cheerfuldom 05:09 PM 06-24-2012
i make my own kids wash the car

the daycare kids water the plants and wash the toys. we also do sprinklers and slip and slide. I dont do a pool because it gets so nasty, so fast. I dont do a water table either for now because I really dont need something extra to clean out and keep from getting moldy or yucky. I dont leave any standing water anywhere because we do get bugs bad if we do that.
Crazy8 05:13 PM 06-24-2012
we just do the sprinkler and water table. I have a few older ones for summer this year, I should try the slip & slide for them.
Michelle 09:21 AM 06-25-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
we just do the sprinkler and water table. I have a few older ones for summer this year, I should try the slip & slide for them.
put a tiny bit of baby soap on it... it helps them slide better and they come in smelling yummy!
mema 12:22 PM 06-25-2012
We do sprinklers, buckets with water and soap for a toy wash, squirt bottles from the dollar store used for spraying each other, themselves, or "painting" the driveway. If we don't have a lot of time to make the sprinkler worth it, I'll just turn on the hose with the hand attachment thing and they run under that for a few minutes! We like to do that before we go for walks-stay cooler longer and dry faster
My Lil' Monkeys 12:35 PM 06-25-2012
We do bike washes with buckets of water, homemade sidewalk paint, sprinkler, a couple of different lakes (I'm allowed as long as there is a lifeguard on duty), baby pool, sand and water table, and I have a little tikes inflatable round table with a sprinkler on the top that the little kids love as they fill cups and water the grass and flowers, plus a slip n slide.
AmyLeigh 12:44 PM 06-25-2012
We do sprinklers, water guns, fill the turtle sand box with water and I will take them to the public pool when my ds and dd have their swim lessons next month. This year I might actually be able to get into the water, too!
Kaddidle Care 06:50 PM 06-25-2012
Don't forget that sprinkler time is a great time to pull out the bubbles! They can rinse off in the sprinkler afterwards.
Michelle 10:35 AM 06-29-2012
also a good time to teach littles to drink out of big kid cups!
Countrygal 12:28 PM 06-29-2012
It's been hot for this area, so we've done a lot of water this year!

Beach, sprinkler, water shooters, water table. I'm not too creative with the water, but I loved some of the ideas on here, like the sponging the toys!!

I was going to try that next week with my car, but on a day when I only have 2 dcb.
PitterPatter 07:50 PM 06-29-2012
Originally Posted by Michelle:

Remembering last years "interesting" thread

We do sprinklers, water tables, slip and slides, and I take them to the public kiddie pool. When they get all grumpy and hot we just do the water thing and all is well in the world! lol
We are not able to do a lot of kayaking this year because we have mostly littles this summer.

Does anyone have any more water suggestions? (for littles)
We have a little pool for them to wade in, sprinklers, slip and slide, koosh balls and homemade koosh balls from sponges, super soaking crayon sticks, for water guns I use spray bottles. They hold more water and I'm not promoting guns which I didn't allow my own child to have at a young age. I also created a car wash with pool noodles. Favorite is them chasing each other with the spray toys. I also use the hose and play London bridge. It falls down a lot!
itlw8 08:21 PM 06-29-2012
I am making a water wall on the fence. We also use watering cans. I fell up a big bucket and they water the flowers and everything else. They love spray bottles.I saw a 2 ltr bottle with holes hooked to a hose on pinterest that looked fun.
Michelle 10:28 PM 06-29-2012
thanks for all the great ideas!
valuedkids 02:40 PM 07-04-2012
We have a support post near our bike area so I set the hose wand on Mist and let the kids do bike/car washes... they drive through over and over and have a blast. We are not allowed ANY standing water so this is a GREAT solution... plus they don't really get soaked so we don't have to do clothing changes! Its perfect for us... I also mist them as they slide sometimes, but by keeping it on mist they cool off without getting soaked
Sunchimes 03:24 PM 07-04-2012
Do you put every one in bathing suits every water day? Mine are under 2, and it takes forever-swim diaper, bathing suit, swim shoes, in the water just long enough to get wet, then off through the mud. Inside, off with shoes, suit, diaper and on with the clothes. In the meantime, the baby is fussing and dck#2 is running around the house dripping water. I do it, but it sure isn't the easiest activity.

What do you do about those not potty trained? I found a bundle of new swim diapers at a rummage sale, so I'm using those for now, but wonder about when they run out. At least one of my parents has yet to bring a swim suit or any sunscreen, so I'm pretty sure the swim diapers won't happen.
Michelle 07:16 PM 07-04-2012
I just tell the parents to leave a bathing suit at my house for the whole summer... I wash them every other day

Changing them in and out of their suits are a hassle but we just do it because the kids are worth it. They love the water and it's good for them.
Sprouts 10:17 PM 07-04-2012
we do our "house cleaning activity"! I get a bucket of soapy water and some good sponges and have the kids scrub the little tikes houses down and they love it! They end up scrubbing what ever is around
GotKids 05:33 AM 07-05-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I am making a water wall on the fence. We also use watering cans. I fell up a big bucket and they water the flowers and everything else. They love spray bottles.I saw a 2 ltr bottle with holes hooked to a hose on pinterest that looked fun.
What is a water wall?
Creek 07:13 AM 07-05-2012
We have two pools, one for the younger kids, one for the older kids. We have a sprinkler and a water table as well. Sometimes we bring out the plastic chairs from the house and they wash them with sponges and soapy water.

One thing that I saw online, and would LOVE to do is make a car wash.

There is a car wash a few photos down on this page. Other cool pool noodle ideas, too!
http://designdazzle.blogspot.ca/2011...l-noodles.html

Another one.
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/trike-car-wash-148557

Apparently you just use plumbing tubing and hook it up to the hose. It looks like a lot of fun!!!
moshimoshi 06:39 PM 07-05-2012
Sounds like fun, lots of cool ideas. I have done toy car washes before.
Tags:water play
Reply Up