Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teething Policy & Medicating
LadyPearl 07:00 AM 02-11-2014
I was curious about policies related to teething. I have dcb2 that puts everything in mouth, bites, etc., but he's not pushing things to the back where the new teeth would be coming in. He's chewing and biting with his front teeth. He was trying to put food and toys in his ears yesterday as well. Parents tell me to go ahead and give him Tylenol but I would rather not. How do others handle this?
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:14 AM 02-11-2014
Sounds like you have a mouther. I've had a few kids with major oral fixations that want to chew EVERYTHING up. This drives me absolutely nuts. I do not like teeth marks and spit all over the toys that the 3, 4, and 5 kids are playing with, not to mention the strings of drool all over them and the carpet. Yuck!

These 2yo get their own small group of toys and contant redirection of "not in your mouth" until they finally get it.

If they are in fact trying to cut some molars, I save the tylenol for naptime. I hate giving acetaminophen (hard on the kidneys) and ibuprofen (hard on the liver) unless really, really necessary. If I wait and dose 30 min before nap, they take a very long, restful nap, and wake up a new kid!
Kabob 07:24 AM 02-11-2014
I used to give medication for teething, but after experiencing parents that would say a fever was "teething" and after reading opinions on this forum (*cough*Blackcat*cough*), I decided to no longer offer medication at daycare. Too much risk involved...what if the child is not teething and it's something else? What if they have a reaction? What if you accidentally give the wrong amount? What if the parent already gave the child medication at home and didn't tell you?

So my policy now is that if a child requires medication (i.e, pain meds) at daycare, then I require them to go home.

I do have kids (including my own) that like to mouth things even when they are not teething, but that is solved through giving the ones that are teething appropriate toys and the ones that aren't teething are given redirection or reminders. It's a pain (literally, if they are teething), but it's worth it.
Blackcat31 07:47 AM 02-11-2014
I do NOT dispense medications FOR ANY REASON.

I have had many toddlers who are simply chewers.

I make sure I have plenty of appropriate chewing toys and wash them as needed. I don't let my non-chewers have access to those toys.

If a child "needs" meds for whatever reason, they shouldn't be in care.

There are lots of other ways to sooth sore gums or relieve the pressure of teething besides medicating.

Try a frozen toy, washcloth or treat instead. Soft chewy toys also relieve the pressure and pain from teething.
AnneCordelia 07:50 AM 02-11-2014
I also have had a few oral kids. I also give them a small bucket of easily washed toys and constant reminders of 'not in your mouth'. I ask parents to please try to affirm 'not in your mouth' too.

I also don't medicate at all. Only epipens and rescue inhalers. No tylenol, no advil, no antibiotics. I can't risk masking real time symptoms of something more serious with kids who are not my own. Its a big liability.
Naptime yet? 11:31 AM 02-11-2014
I had a licker. He licked everything before he put it in his mouth, like he was deciding whether or not to fully commit himself to the object. Thankfully he's outgrown that.
Tags:dope and drop, dope; drop, infectious teething, overdose, tylenol, tylenol doping
Reply Up