Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cups, Plates & Eating Utencils
MarinaVanessa 10:12 AM 12-28-2010
Okay so I'm hoping that someone here can help me. I usually have no more than 6 DC kids signed up and each child here gets a cubby and eatery (plastic plate, bowl, fork, knife, spoon, and spill-proof cup) all in the same color. Two of my DC kids are PT and I have 2 more PT's taking up the remaining days that will start at the end of January so I have to buy 2 more cubbies and more plates etc.

Because each DC kid has their own of everything (which is what I want) I have to buy some things in different sizes/brands etc. which makes it hard for me to find lids and such. I want to have everything (or almost everything) be of the same brand to make it easier on me and so that I can organize everything better like having all of the cups be the same just in different colors so that I can stack them. I'm having trouble finding a place that has everything in each color. Does anyone know of a place that I can buy sets in at least 8 colors even if I have to buy them individually. I've looked online for 3 days and I still can't find this many matching sets.
misol 10:15 AM 12-28-2010
Unfortunately, six colors is the most I've seen so far. Looking forward to reading the replies though.
SilverSabre25 10:24 AM 12-28-2010
I don't know that you're going to find 8 different colors--Ikea has sets that have 6 different colors (although no matching closed-top cups, just open top cups) and that's the most I've seen. Ikea Tableware. You could buy two sets and have the part-time kids double a color--use a permanent marker to distinguish the doubles, maybe.
DCMomOf3 10:30 AM 12-28-2010
I love my IKEA sets but like the others say, they only come in 6 colors. At Target they have the "disposable" straw cups that come in, I think 4 packs, of different colors in the baby section, and with the dishes they have eating trays, although i don't recall how many colors they offer.
MyAngels 10:32 AM 12-28-2010
Maybe you could find some sets with a pattern on them, rather than solid colors, to supplement what you already have. I think I've seen something like that at Walmart.
MarinaVanessa 10:55 AM 12-28-2010
Yeah I figured it would be nearly impossible *sigh*. The most I've seen is 6 colors also and until now it wasn't a problem because I never had more than 6 kids period. I just bought the sets first and then bought the cubbies in the matching colors. Bleh. The set I have now is the set from Ikea and I love it. I have the cups, plates, bowls, spoons, knives, and forks. I did have to buy seperate sippy cups that somewhat matched each color but they're all different and in different sizes and finding the lids to each is hard because most of those are a different color than their corisponding cup.

I saw some Tupperware cups that had sippy lids but they only come in sets of four, aren't spill-proof ... and they are more expensive. I'm almost to the point of just buying all of them in the same color (like in DC centers) and not having each kid have their own color but they love having their own set that they can call their own. Even the 2 yo's know which ones are theirs.
Blackcat31 11:49 AM 12-28-2010
Maybe try:

http://www.melamineproduct.com/index.htm
http://www.kidsmartliving.com/plasti...innerware.html

Otherwise I think you may have to go with themes or double up on colors....nice idea though!
MyAngels 04:28 PM 12-28-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
. I did have to buy seperate sippy cups that somewhat matched each color but they're all different and in different sizes and finding the lids to each is hard because most of those are a different color than their corisponding cup.
I recently bought some cups at the dollar store in different colors with matching lids. They're not spill proof, but the lids fit tightly and they've worked well so far. You might be able to find them to match your current sets, anyway.
MarinaVanessa 04:55 PM 12-28-2010
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I recently bought some cups at the dollar store in different colors with matching lids. They're not spill proof, but the lids fit tightly and they've worked well so far. You might be able to find them to match your current sets, anyway.
Thanks for the idea, I really appreciate it but I don't need colors to match what I already have, what I need is two additional colors or a whole set of eating plates and utensils in 8 colors. I already have orange, yellow, pink, light blue, dark blue and green so I need to find a set of table ware in 2 more colors. I was thinking that I would just do as some have suggested and get some with patterns on it. I just bought six Nuby sippys for $15 in the colors that I already have so I'll see if I can find the other 2 sets of tableware first then buy 2 more Nuby sippys in those colors.
MyAngels 04:44 AM 12-29-2010
You might look at this site - it looks like they have a variety of different brands, but I didn't look through everything to see if you could get complete sets of everything you might need. http://www.kidsmartliving.com/untab1.html
Charity 09:31 AM 12-29-2010
Hey I am just curious as to what cubbies you use?? Do u have any pictures or ideas. I am in the same boat and have 6 FT but want to get cubbies and all ssame colors
MarinaVanessa 01:02 PM 12-29-2010
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
You might look at this site - it looks like they have a variety of different brands, but I didn't look through everything to see if you could get complete sets of everything you might need. http://www.kidsmartliving.com/untab1.html
this is great! Youre amazing. I'll be getting the red and the frosted colors complete sets then all i have to do is find sippys for them and a red and maybe a white cubby. woop woop.

... silly how it's the truly simple things that make me happy.
MarinaVanessa 01:09 PM 12-29-2010
Originally Posted by Charity:
Hey I am just curious as to what cubbies you use?? Do u have any pictures or ideas. I am in the same boat and have 6 FT but want to get cubbies and all ssame colors
I bought a 9 cubby shelf from Lowe's on sale for around $50 but i've seen them at Target and Home Depot.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_39880-76182-...&storeId=10151

I use fabric drawers for them so they can keep their "treasures" and supplies like diapers wipes and extra clothes in them. It works better for me than just cubby holes because their stuff doesn't fall out. I also bought these at Lowe's on sale for around $5 but they regularly around $8.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_148646-77268...t%3Dclosetmaid
Blackcat31 01:11 PM 12-29-2010
this is great! Youre amazing. I'll be getting the red and the frosted colors complete sets then all i have to do is find sippys for them and a red and maybe a white cubby. woop woop.

... silly how it's the truly simple things that make me happy.
Hey! That is the same site I suggested a few posts before hers!!! Sorry, I just wanted to be amazing too!! LOL!!!
MarinaVanessa 01:15 PM 12-29-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Hey! That is the same site I suggested a few posts before hers!!! Sorry, I just wanted to be amazing too!! LOL!!!
Oh lol I just realized that! Yes of course you are absolutely amazing also . Really this solves my problem. They may not match what I already have (from Ikea) but the tumblers are similar to the ones I already have and I'm sure I'll be able to stack the plates and bowls along with the Ikea ones too .
Blackcat31 01:20 PM 12-29-2010
Oh lol I just realized that! Yes of course you are absolutely amazing also . Really this solves my problem. They may not match what I already have (from Ikea) but the tumblers are similar to the ones I already have and I'm sure I'll be able to stack the plates and bowls along with the Ikea ones too .
ahhh...thanks! You are too kind! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your idea about giving the kids specific colors for their things. Makes it easier for them to know what is theirs. I've always used a symbol such as a car or a flower or ladybug etc and everything the child has gets that symbol so they know their items even if they can't read.
Abigail 01:49 PM 12-29-2010
I like colors too, but I like to have everything shared. It is just easier if I can put food on any plate instead of putting back the green one because Johnny isn't here today. LOL. I also like to give the boys pink cups and infants it's fun to color code their sippy color to their shirt color.
SilverSabre25 02:03 PM 12-29-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I like colors too, but I like to have everything shared. It is just easier if I can put food on any plate instead of putting back the green one because Johnny isn't here today. LOL. I also like to give the boys pink cups and infants it's fun to color code their sippy color to their shirt color.
My three year old always wants her cup to match her shirt. And her plate. And whatever else she can contrive of!
MyAngels 02:19 PM 12-29-2010
Oops - I clicked on the link in your post, I just didn't realize it was two different links (what can I say, it's been a long week )

Personally, I think we're all amazing, given all that we do and what we deal with every day!
SilverSabre25 05:14 PM 12-29-2010
Yay! I'm glad you found something that will work!
Little People 05:24 PM 12-29-2010
Maybe try:

http://www.melamineproduct.com/index.htm
http://www.kidsmartliving.com/plasti...innerware.html

Otherwise I think you may have to go with themes or double up on colors....nice idea though!
I am going to order some from kidsmartliving. Thanks for posting this site
MARSTELAC 11:07 AM 12-30-2010
I too am ordering from Kidsmart...thanks so much for this! Our dishes are all worn out plastic pieces and I was able to get 12 complete sets. The kids each came out and picked a set in order of oldest to youngest and all got their favorite color cup, plate, bowl and all BPA free I think! They are soo excited for the new stuff to arrive!
Happy New Year!
Tags:cups, plates, utensils
Reply Up