Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teething 103!!!!
Boymom 06:02 AM 01-27-2016
Dcg was running 102 fever on Monday and I had her mom come pick her up. She stayed home Tuesday. I just got a text from her mom saying they are on their way. They took her to the doctor twice and the dr is saying it's teething. But on Facebook she posted 7 hours ago that her temp was 103. My policy states temp over 100.5 they have to stay home, but what should I do if the doctor says it's teething???
Blackcat31 06:07 AM 01-27-2016
Originally Posted by Jgrantham:
Dcg was running 102 fever on Monday and I had her mom come pick her up. She stayed home Tuesday. I just got a text from her mom saying they are on their way. They took her to the doctor twice and the dr is saying it's teething. But on Facebook she posted 7 hours ago that her temp was 103. My policy states temp over 100.5 they have to stay home, but what should I do if the doctor says it's teething???
YOU decide if the child is well enough to return NOT the doctor. Tell mom that the doctor is not the one caring for the child and that health is ONLY one part of why a provider would exclude.

Does she know you can see her Facebook posts? If so, I'd text and let her know that until she is fever free for a FULL 24 hours WITHOUT the use of medication, she cannot return to care.
daycarediva 06:16 AM 01-27-2016
Parents have to ok the return to care with ME. They do not TELL me that their children will be comng back.

I exclude for SYMPTOMS, so even if a child's high fever WAS related to teething (HAHA), I exclude for the fever ONLY. Stay home until fever free for a full 24 hours without the aid of antipyretics.
Leigh 07:42 AM 01-27-2016
Well, I know what I would say! I have NEVER heard of a 103 fever from teething. Pediatricians say that teething does NOT cause fevers. In my experience, a "teething fever" would be under 100 degrees. I would not allow a child with a fever that high to return.
MunchkinWrangler 07:49 AM 01-27-2016
Antipyretics!!! LOL!
LysesKids 08:00 AM 01-27-2016
Tell mom, sorry... kiddo is excluded due to a fever over 100.5, doesn't matter the reason - and no, I have never heard a DR say teething causes fevers that high ( I just had a mom try that last week with a 103 temp). I exclude for symptoms regardless of a Dr clearance
Boymom 08:03 AM 01-27-2016
Thank you all! I have not ever heard of a fever being that high because of teething. I think she needs to find a new pediatrician. With this happening today, I just updated my illness policy. Do you think this is too harsh? I want it to be incredibly clear so there is zero room for confusion!

Child Illness Policy
In the event that a child becomes sick while at daycare, the parents will be notified and the child will need to be picked up promptly. Please let me know by 8:00 a.m. if your child will not be coming to daycare that day. Full tuition will still be due if your child is absent/sick.

If your child is not well enough to partake in activities, including outdoor play, they need to stay at home.

If your child has any of the following, you must keep your child home:

*Temperature of 100.5 degrees or higher, regardless of the reason. (Must be fever-free without medication for 24 hours prior to returning.)
*Vomiting
*Diarrhea
*Contagious or unexplained rash
*Profuse nasal discharge
*Discharge from eyes or ears
*Sore throat

Very important: I will only give Tylenol or Motrin for pain, such as teething, but I will NOT give medication for a fever. Please don’t bring your child to my daycare with a fever reducer in their system! Please understand that I run a well daycare and not a sick daycare.
Ariana 08:07 AM 01-27-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Parents have to ok the return to care with ME. They do not TELL me that their children will be comng back.

I exclude for SYMPTOMS, so even if a child's high fever WAS related to teething (HAHA), I exclude for the fever ONLY. Stay home until fever free for a full 24 hours without the aid of antipyretics.
THIS! A 103 fever for teething?? They have a really smart DR

I don't care if the fever is from twiddling their thumbs too much...still a fever and still grounds for exclusion. I don't take care of sick kids. period.
childcaremom 08:12 AM 01-27-2016
Thank you all! I have not ever heard of a fever being that high because of teething. I think she needs to find a new pediatrician. With this happening today, I just updated my illness policy. Do you think this is too harsh? I want it to be incredibly clear so there is zero room for confusion!

Child Illness Policy
In the event that a child becomes sick while at daycare, the parents will be notified and the child will need to be picked up promptly. Please let me know by 8:00 a.m. if your child will not be coming to daycare that day. Full tuition will still be due if your child is absent/sick.

If your child is not well enough to partake in activities, including outdoor play, they need to stay at home.

*Temperature of 100.5 degrees or higher, regardless of the reason. (Must be fever-free without medication for 24 hours prior to returning.)
*Vomiting
*Diarrhea
*Profuse nasal discharge
*Sore throat

Very important: I will only give Tylenol or Motrin for pain, such as teething, but I will NOT give medication for a fever. Please don’t bring your child to my daycare with a fever reducer in their system! Please understand that I run a well daycare and not a sick daycare.
I would add that you will exclude for the following symptoms:
then list them.

That way you aren't having parents say well she is teething so that's why her nose is running, or whatever. I would also add that children must be symptom-free (without the use of medications) for 24 hours before returning to care. This means a full well day at home.

I am reading above as only the fever needs to be a 24 hours exclusion.

Just wanted to add, I had a dcp drop off one morning stating that dcb was teething, doesn't have a fever yet, but if he does spike one to call her. I checked every hour to see what his temp was. By 11 am, meds had worn off (older sister told me that he had had meds) and his fever was over 103. I termed as soon as she picked up.
Snowmom 08:15 AM 01-27-2016

Child Illness Policy

*Vomiting
*Diarrhea
*Profuse nasal discharge
*Sore throat

Sounds good.
The only thing I'd suggest is addressing the medication (Tylenol) part a bit.
I wouldn't say "please don't bring", it suggests they still can because it's technically not a "rule" only a suggestion.
I'd stick to stating what you want the rule to be. Something like "Giving any fever masking medication (Tylenol/Ibuprofen) prior to arrival is prohibited- this is grounds for immediate termination without any refunds".

Also, giving any meds to me is taking an unnecessary risk. If a child needs meds for pain, then they probably shouldn't be participating in childcare.
Boymom 08:49 AM 01-27-2016
Perfect! Thank you very much!
Boymom 08:51 AM 01-27-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I would add that you will exclude for the following symptoms:
then list them.

That way you aren't having parents say well she is teething so that's why her nose is running, or whatever. I would also add that children must be symptom-free (without the use of medications) for 24 hours before returning to care. This means a full well day at home.

I am reading above as only the fever needs to be a 24 hours exclusion.

Just wanted to add, I had a dcp drop off one morning stating that dcb was teething, doesn't have a fever yet, but if he does spike one to call her. I checked every hour to see what his temp was. By 11 am, meds had worn off (older sister told me that he had had meds) and his fever was over 103. I termed as soon as she picked up.
Thank you very much!
mommyneedsadayoff 09:17 AM 01-27-2016
I imagine dcm is the one who said it was teething and just used the whole "the doctor said..." as a means to back up HER diagnosis

A 103 fever is probably a virus and since doc can't give her meds to get rid of it, she says it's teething so she can send her kid and not miss work for the next 2-3 days while her kid fights it off.
Blackcat31 09:28 AM 01-27-2016
Its been mentioned on this forum many times that it's not hard to find a Dr that will say whatever a parent wants to hear just to placate them.

I am willing to bet the Dr would have told mom the fever was due to it being Tuesday just so mom would have an answer.

For future reference....be warned: "teething" when accompanied by a temp over 100F is almost ALWAYS contagious.
Unregistered 10:22 AM 01-27-2016
Take a picture of her fb status.
caligirl 06:07 PM 01-27-2016
Down here in Cali, if it's 100 or over, they cannot be here for 24 hours AFTER it breaks.....and that is NOT teething....teething does not cause a fever that high
daycare 06:53 PM 01-27-2016
Originally Posted by caligirl:
Down here in Cali, if it's 100 or over, they cannot be here for 24 hours AFTER it breaks.....and that is NOT teething....teething does not cause a fever that high
yup...anything over 100.0 is a one way ticket home.

I love this site. It really helped me with my illness policy.

as others stated.

exclude for the symptoms, not WHY it's happening. without lab testing, we don't know why it's happening. and lets face it, the doctors are not going to order lab testing for some vomiting or runs for a few days 2-3 times a year.

parents try to tell me well it is because of this or that. I tell them we can guess all day what it could be, but we are not medical professionals, so we have to error on the side of caution and exclude for the symptoms.

My favorite to date, they threw up because they ate too fast. Well we ate two hours ago. Noooooo come get your kid.
Reply Up