Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So I Finally Decided!!!
wdmmom 11:21 AM 02-27-2012
After contemplating for about 2 months now, I've finally decided to modify my hours.

Right now I'm open 730am to 530pm.

Effective Tuesday, May 29th, my hours will be 7am to 5pm.

I know closing a half hour early might mean me losing my longest running DCK but I'm already prepared to lose him anyway. (DCM is pregnant (due mid-July) and already said she probably won't return back to work after baby is born.)

I was thinking about giving them notice Monday, April 30th. This is 4 full weeks notice. Do you think that's too much notice or not enough?

I fear if I give too much notice, families may consider pulling earlier.

The other part that I don't want to tell the families is that I want to try it over the summer months. If it works out, I will keep the 5pm closing time. If it doesn't work out well, I will resume my old hours the Tuesday after Labor day.

What does everyone think?
newtodaycare22 11:24 AM 02-27-2012
I think 4 weeks is perfectly fine.

I'm open 7:00-5:00 also, and that 5 is much better than 5:30
Lucy 11:27 AM 02-27-2012
YES!! I have a very similar situation. I would actually be reducing by 30 minutes though. I work 7-5:30, and would like to switch to 7-5. However, it would mean losing my longest-term family, which right now, I'm not ready to do. They have an 8.5 yr old boy who has been with me since 9 months old, and his 3.5 yr old sister has been with me since birth. They are 1/3 of my total income, so I can't afford to lose them. (Also, it would break my heart.)

Anyway, I think 4 weeks notice is perfect. If you were going to lose them, you'll lose them no matter what, so go for it!!! I know you'll love the extra 30 minutes!!!! That is my WORST time of the day, so I envy you!!
familyschoolcare 11:32 AM 02-27-2012
I think 4 weeks is a good amount.

I would not tell parents that you want to try it over the summer months and will resume old hours the Tuesday after Labor day, if does not work. Because some parents will use that information to talk you out of doing it at all.
bice99 11:46 AM 02-27-2012
I'm open 7:15 til 5 PM. That extra 15 minutes in the morning (that I didn't used to have) allows me to enjoy my morning with my own DD's. That's when they are eating breakfast and I am making their lunches. It's our time. And all of my families adjusted the year I switched. Plus I run contracted hours so 7:15 means pick up by 4:15.
Mom&Provider 05:23 PM 02-27-2012
I think 4 weeks is fair, you have to do what is best for you! I wouldn't suggest changing it back if things weren't working, leaves it open for debate!

I also close at 5 pm, my SIL closes at 5:30 pm and wishes she never agreed to the extra 30 mins! LOL!
momma2girls 06:35 PM 02-27-2012
Over the yrs. of providing care, I have went from 11 1/2 hrs.- 10 hrs. - 9 hrs.
9 or 9 1/2 hrs.x 5 days a week is over 45 hrs. per week. This is plenty of hrs. working each week. It really makes such a HUGE difference!! It's the last hr. that really drags for everyone.
Springdaze 05:59 AM 02-28-2012
dont you kind of have to go by the families you have now? I have kids here til six because the parents work til 530. in the past I was open til 7 and the only one I had til then was a mom that worked from home. I had another that came at 630, so I told everyone I was closed at 6 and the other to get here when she could.
countrymom 06:22 AM 02-28-2012
I'm open from 7 to 5pm and that half hour difference makes such a difference. But I make all parents sign a contract for the hours. I don't take anyone over 5pm but by having a contract hours makes a difference too. It also weens out alot of nonsense with parents
wdmmom 08:48 AM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by chellenj:
dont you kind of have to go by the families you have now? I have kids here til six because the parents work til 530. in the past I was open til 7 and the only one I had til then was a mom that worked from home. I had another that came at 630, so I told everyone I was closed at 6 and the other to get here when she could.
I only have 1 child that is here until 530pm. All the others are gone by 5pm. And he's leaving anyway. I'm just going to be rushing the process when I give notice that I'm changing my hours.
Kim 06:36 PM 05-30-2012
How did it go when you gave notice?

I'm considering changing my closing time to 5pm also. Right now I'm 7:30-5:30 but I would rather change it to 7-5. My husband is home at 5 and I would love that extra half hour with my family. Plus my kids are getting older and starting after school activities next school year. I only have one family that it would effect. I would hate to lose that family but I also hate being open that last half hour for one kid.

I'm thinking of advertising for my last spot but only advertising that I'm open until 5pm that way if I fill it, it won't hurt financially if the family leaves.
wdmmom 07:53 PM 05-30-2012
Originally Posted by Kim:
How did it go when you gave notice?

I'm considering changing my closing time to 5pm also. Right now I'm 7:30-5:30 but I would rather change it to 7-5. My husband is home at 5 and I would love that extra half hour with my family. Plus my kids are getting older and starting after school activities next school year. I only have one family that it would effect. I would hate to lose that family but I also hate being open that last half hour for one kid.

I'm thinking of advertising for my last spot but only advertising that I'm open until 5pm that way if I fill it, it won't hurt financially if the family leaves.
It went as well as I expected it to.

It really didn't affect too many clients.

Family 1 gets off work at 445pm and picks up regularly at 455pm but has to work mandatory overtime often. I gave her the option of bringing DCB in early rather than staying late those days and she seemed very appreciative of the idea.

Family 2 DCM works about 10 miles away while DCD works 2 miles from here. While it is easier for DCD to pick up, DCM will have to do the pick ups now to accommodate the closing time. I gave them almost 2 months notice and they were appreciative of the long notice time and didn't have an issue with it.

Family 3 is pregnant with #2 and while I knew DCM might not go back to work, even if she did, it was only going to be 2 days per week. The closing time in itself was my way out. I originally was caught off guard and agreed to 2 days per week but after much thought, I would not want to take on the newborn on such a part time schedule.

The notice has been given and starts July 2nd.
SunshineMama 04:02 AM 05-31-2012
Congrats on making that decision! There is a big difference between 5:00 and 5:30, it will help out a lot
CheekyChick 05:50 AM 05-31-2012
That's great you get to close earlier... I would LOVE that.

I just don't see how it would be possible. Approximately 90% of my parents get off at 5:00 p.m. so that wouldn't allow
them time to pick up their kiddos.
Creek 07:35 AM 05-31-2012
I think 4 weeks notice is good. If I can, I always 4 weeks written notice of any change that I am making like that. I went from 7:30am - 5:30pm to 7:30am - 5:15pm. Those 15 mins make a huge difference, I can't imagine what another 15 mins would do, haha. There's no reason for me to open earlier than 7:30am though.

GL!
Tags:hours - changing, schedule - changes
Reply Up