Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Sensory Bins?
Countrygal 05:15 AM 03-30-2012
OK, I am very old-school and haven't even heard of sensory bins until opening the daycare this time around.

Can anyone tell me the purpose of these? I honestly am not thrilled with them. They seem terribly expensive to set up and messy to maintain. I saw one that had what must have been 35 dollars of coffee beans for the material in the bottom!

How do they accomplish more than the more traditional ways to explore senses like playdough, finger paints, sandpaper collages, nature collages, etc, etc.??

Can anyone link me to a webpage that explains to me why these are so much better? I'd really appreciate it.
SunshineMama 05:29 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
OK, I am very old-school and haven't even heard of sensory bins until opening the daycare this time around.

Can anyone tell me the purpose of these? I honestly am not thrilled with them. They seem terribly expensive to set up and messy to maintain. I saw one that had what must have been 35 dollars of coffee beans for the material in the bottom!

How do they accomplish more than the more traditional ways to explore senses like playdough, finger paints, sandpaper collages, nature collages, etc, etc.??

Can anyone link me to a webpage that explains to me why these are so much better? I'd really appreciate it.
Sensory bins are a great tool for children with SPD, and help them theraputically. The other things you mentioned are also great tools! Sensory bins are just another tool.

I do not have any children with SPD, but I use them for one reason:

The kids will play in them quietly for HOURS! Anything that give me hours of quiet time is awesome in my book!
Countrygal 05:36 AM 03-30-2012
My kids don't seem to like them. They love the playdough, finger paint, goop, goo and whatever they can manipulate with their hands. But I tried a sensory bin and they dipped their hands in, picked out each item to look at and said they were done. Every last one of them. I plan on trying a few more, but I'm a little frustrated. We are required to have sand and water play available, and a sensory bin is about the only way to do it when inside that I can see.
SunshineMama 05:41 AM 03-30-2012
My kids don't seem to like them. They love the playdough, finger paint, goop, goo and whatever they can manipulate with their hands. But I tried a sensory bin and they dipped their hands in, picked out each item to look at and said they were done. Every last one of them. I plan on trying a few more, but I'm a little frustrated. We are required to have sand and water play available, and a sensory bin is about the only way to do it when inside that I can see.
What is your set up for your sensory bin? I have a very large bin that I fill (sometimes I use a water table) with rice and beans, scoops, spoons, toys, pieces of cut up rope, popcicle sticks, seashells, etc. I put a big tarp under it so if there are any spills I can easily clean it up.
I put a bunch of zoo animals in it and a zookeeper, and they take the popcicle sticks and make cages and play zoo.

I dont know your kids ages are though. The kids that like it here are 17 months - 4 years.
Blackcat31 05:49 AM 03-30-2012
The purpose of sensory bins is for children to develop their senses. Sensory bins are usually filled with items that not only look cool, but feel and sometimes sound cool as well. Right there is visual, sensual and audible senses.

From toddlers to school aged children, a sensory bin can develop skills such as…
■Fine Motor (placing small objects into small areas, using tongs or tweezers to pick up objects)
■Transferring (moving objects from one container to another, i.e. pouring, scooping)
■Matching (colors, shapes, objects, etc.)
■Patterns (big, small, big, small or flower, butterfly, flower, butterfly, etc.)
■Counting (how many colors, shapes and amounts)
■Sorting and Classifying (into other objects such as ice cube trays, small buckets, egg platters)
■Specific skill recognition & reinforcement (colors, letters, shapes, themes, etc.)

Sensory bins can also just plain be fun! I honestly don't remember a time where I have filled a sensory bin with somehting and NOT had the urge to stick my own hands in and play with the stuff inside!

Sensory bins appeal to a child’s senses in a fun way and on many different levels!

I just went out and spent less than $8 on those water bead thngs Melskids was talking about and OMG! My kiddos cannot stop playing with them! THey absolutely LOVE them! They ask constantly when they can play! I am startign to think I could use it as a reward/consequence....LOL!! Even a couple of my parents could not resist sticking their hands in and playing around for a while.
MrsB 05:56 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The purpose of sensory bins is for children to develop their senses. Sensory bins are usually filled with items that not only look cool, but feel and sometimes sound cool as well. Right there is visual, sensual and audible senses.

From toddlers to school aged children, a sensory bin can develop skills such as…
■Fine Motor (placing small objects into small areas, using tongs or tweezers to pick up objects)
■Transferring (moving objects from one container to another, i.e. pouring, scooping)
■Patterns (big, small, big, small or flower, butterfly, flower, butterfly, etc.)
■Sorting and Classifying (into other objects such as ice cube trays, small buckets, egg platters)
■Specific skill recognition & reinforcement (colors, letters, shapes, themes, etc.)

Sensory bins can also just plain be fun! I honestly don't remember a time where I have filled a sensory bin with somehting and NOT had the urge to stick my own hands in and play with the stuff inside!
I have my hands in the sensory bin about as much as the kids do. Especially the water beads!
Lianne 05:57 AM 03-30-2012
The other day a friend and I were remembering our mothers' button jars, or ice cream bucket in my mother's case. We both fondly remember burying our hands in the buttons and feeling them fall through our fingers like waterfalls. My friend guessed the kids in the Little House On The Prairie time period probably did the same thing, the very first sensory bin!
Daycare Diva 06:18 AM 03-30-2012
How do you keep the bins sanitary from day to day?
Blackcat31 06:24 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by Daycare Diva:
How do you keep the bins sanitary from day to day?
All the kids are required to wash their hands before (and after) using the bins.

I would say 75% of the things I use in my sensory bins are dry and the other stuff that is wet, simply gets tossed sooner than the dry stuff.

You can kind of tell when the stuff needs to go....
countrymom 06:29 AM 03-30-2012
here is my sensory bin

https://www.daycare.com/forum/album.php?albumid=44

I hope it works, the first pictures are my crayon holder and the other pictures are my sensory bin, both things, I made dh make them for me. Right now I have rice in the sensory bin, but I have the water balls to put in them next. The kids love them.
Meyou 07:18 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
What is your set up for your sensory bin? I have a very large bin that I fill (sometimes I use a water table) with rice and beans, scoops, spoons, toys, pieces of cut up rope, popcicle sticks, seashells, etc. I put a big tarp under it so if there are any spills I can easily clean it up.
I put a bunch of zoo animals in it and a zookeeper, and they take the popcicle sticks and make cages and play zoo.

I dont know your kids ages are though. The kids that like it here are 17 months - 4 years.

OMG!! Best idea EVAH! Thanks.
Meyou 07:20 AM 03-30-2012
I didn't spend much to do mine. I have rice and barley, pasta and cloud dough. My kids love them. I stock them with little cars, toilet paper tubes, hidden treasure (wooden beads, large sequins, googly eyes), cups, spoons, funnels and let them go.

I dyed my rice, barley and pasta with food coloring and a little rubbing alcohol into a rainbow of colors.
Heidi 07:28 AM 03-30-2012
With my kids tarp for spills would be useless. Some here are saying their children play with them for hours. From my experience with the sandbox (and the few times I've set up a sensory tub), my dc kids would dump everything on the floor asap.

I understand supervision is key, but I am really resistant to adding another item to my house that I have to supervise closely every second it's out, and giving the little guys more fodder to tease me and purposely dump it out (even knowing it will cost them use of the tub).

I recently visited one of my families, and saw for myself that the 3 1/2 yo had decorated her bedroom with permanent magic marker...the sheets, the windows, and the walls.

Sand is not even an option, although I might consider other materials. We have 5 year old hardwood floors, and there is no way I'd purposely bring sand near them!

So for the most part, sensory experiences are staying outside, except occasionally when I am in the mood to sit with them. I'm willing to consider a lot of thngs, but I guess I will have to score lower on the FCCER's on this one.
Blackcat31 07:31 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
With my kids tarp for spills would be useless. Some here are saying their children play with them for hours. From my experience with the sandbox (and the few times I've set up a sensory tub), my dc kids would dump everything on the floor asap.

I understand supervision is key, but I am really resistant to adding another item to my house that I have to supervise closely every second it's out, and giving the little guys more fodder to tease me and purposely dump it out (even knowing it will cost them use of the tub).

I recently visited one of my families, and saw for myself that the 3 1/2 yo had decorated her bedroom with permanent magic marker...the sheets, the windows, and the walls.

Sand is not even an option, although I might consider other materials. We have 5 year old hardwood floors, and there is no way I'd purposely bring sand near them!

So for the most part, sensory experiences are staying outside, except occasionally when I am in the mood to sit with them. I'm willing to consider a lot of thngs, but I guess I will have to score lower on the FCCER's on this one.
I have small sensory bins (Rubbermaid containers with lids) and let the kids use them indivually at the table where I can see and monitor them closely. Keeps the mess contained and still counts toward FCCER's.
cheerfuldom 07:36 AM 03-30-2012
I don't use them for any specific reason other than that they are fun to max! Even the babies like scooping rice (under close supervision!)
sharlan 07:42 AM 03-30-2012
My almost 5 yo had A LOT of sensory issues. He wouldn't touch anything and thought the sole purpose of sand was to throw. I started with colored rice at the kitchen table. I would hide letters, numbers, and insects on the bottom. He played with the rice for hours and we were able to graduate to playdoh.

I use the large foil baking pans and store the rice in a large plastic jug.
MrsB 07:56 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
here is my sensory bin

https://www.daycare.com/forum/album.php?albumid=44

I hope it works, the first pictures are my crayon holder and the other pictures are my sensory bin, both things, I made dh make them for me. Right now I have rice in the sensory bin, but I have the water balls to put in them next. The kids love them.
How do you get them to play in the crayons without breaking them? That is so cool! Love the bucket idea.

Wish my husband was crafty and could make me some things. If I equiped him with a saw I'd be afraid he'd have no fingers. LOL. He is really great at doing dishes and playing "horsie" though.
nannyde 08:26 AM 03-30-2012
I've never done a sensory bin. I'm really picky about what toys take up what real estate here. I like all the money for toys to go into toys that can be played with for generations to come. My current group has an amazing toy collection because of this. I can go the rest of my career and never buy another toy.

I think long and hard when I purchase ANYTHING for the child care. The only things I will spend money on now are additional prime pieces for the collections I have. It has to be something that will net great independent (non adult involved) play and can withstand another fifteen years of use. If it meets those two criteria and it's a piece of an already established collection then I will spend money on it.
Meyou 08:40 AM 03-30-2012
I have small sensory bins (Rubbermaid containers with lids) and let the kids use them indivually at the table where I can see and monitor them closely. Keeps the mess contained and still counts toward FCCER's.
Mine are pretty much the same. I use dish basins at the table.
Meyou 08:44 AM 03-30-2012
This is a great blog post about sensory bins.

http://countingcoconuts.blogspot.ca/...-answered.html
Ariana 09:24 AM 03-30-2012
Sensory bins promote divergent thinking which is creativity at it's best. It also promotes math and science skill as well as physical skills that Blackcat mentioned above.

It's important to have "toys" that can be played with in unique ways and not just one way which, again, promotes divergent thinking. My kids will spend up to an hour with a sensory bin playing independantly. I must be a different sort of person but I don't care about the mess! That's what a vacuum is for
Heidi 09:44 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Sensory bins promote divergent thinking which is creativity at it's best. It also promotes math and science skill as well as physical skills that Blackcat mentioned above.

It's important to have "toys" that can be played with in unique ways and not just one way which, again, promotes divergent thinking. My kids will spend up to an hour with a sensory bin playing independantly. I must be a different sort of person but I don't care about the mess! That's what a vacuum is for
Ariana-I mean this in the nicest possible way, so don't take it wrong, ok?

I am honestly and completely the queen of the divergent thinkers. I have 4 divergent thinkers as children. I have a son whose idea of camp-fire talk is to ask "so.....what do you all think about string theory?' I have an 11 yo whose room is FILLED with old small-appliances, cardboard boxes, K'nex, a million Legos, and a crap-load of stuff most of would consider junk. My 14 yo daughter has a black mohawkish thing in a town of some 300 people, and is currently facinated with gay rights, trans-gender people, and politics (as well as really "hot" guys..lol).

These are my children, though, and have been trained since birth to be independent and responsible. I could have given any one of my access to any kind of art materials at 15 months, and I did, for the most part. They've never colored on a wall or a book or a piece of furniture. They are not perfect, but they do have boundries.

My dc kids are another matter. It's just the way it is. There are just certain things that I will not offer them, but there are a million, trillion things I do.

I don't mean say you are wrong. I just don't think the same thing works for all children in all situations, and I don't want anyone to think that I'm some sort of control freak.

There are tons of sensory experiences in the world, and I seriously do not think these children will grow up denied personal growth because they didn't get to mess with a box of rice or pom poms or water beads every day....

Saying all this smiling in a friendly way!
Ariana 09:51 AM 03-30-2012
Ariana-I mean this in the nicest possible way, so don't take it wrong, ok?

I am honestly and completely the queen of the divergent thinkers. I have 4 divergent thinkers as children. I have a son whose idea of camp-fire talk is to ask "so.....what do you all think about string theory?' I have an 11 yo whose room is FILLED with old small-appliances, cardboard boxes, K'nex, a million Legos, and a crap-load of stuff most of would consider junk. My 14 yo daughter has a black mohawkish thing in a town of some 300 people, and is currently facinated with gay rights, trans-gender people, and politics (as well as really "hot" guys..lol).

These are my children, though, and have been trained since birth to be independent and responsible. I could have given any one of my access to any kind of art materials at 15 months, and I did, for the most part. They've never colored on a wall or a book or a piece of furniture. They are not perfect, but they do have boundries.

My dc kids are another matter. It's just the way it is. There are just certain things that I will not offer them, but there are a million, trillion things I do.

I don't mean say you are wrong. I just don't think the same thing works for all children in all situations, and I don't want anyone to think that I'm some sort of control freak.

There are tons of sensory experiences in the world, and I seriously do not think these children will grow up denied personal growth because they didn't get to mess with a box of rice or pom poms or water beads every day....

Saying all this smiling in a friendly way!
If you offer things for them to do that promotes divergent thinking than great! You can accomplish this through many things besides sensory bins. I was simply answering the original question about sensory bins specifically
Heidi 10:01 AM 03-30-2012
If you offer things for them to do that promotes divergent thinking than great! You can accomplish this through many things besides sensory bins. I was simply answering the original question about sensory bins specifically
Ok...I see sorry!

I obviously feel a little guilty about it, it's supposed to be the "right" thing to do, and I get it in theory, just not in practice with my particular group.

There is just no one-size-fits-all answer, ever, and I resent that some of us are being pushed into a cookie cutter. There are MANY ways to provide really awesome care, and with the pushing of FCCER's in our state, we are getting all getting crammed into the SAME cookie cutter. So, this conversation is more about me not drinking the koolaid than sensory bins, I think.
MizzCheryl 10:13 AM 03-30-2012
do you have any problem with them putting thing in their mouths? I used to have a bean table. One of the GP had a fit cause a dcg had a bean down her shirt when she came home. lol. Mom just laughed and said she was playing in the bean table. GM gasped, what if she ate it or put it up her nose.
With mixed ageas I think it is hard to have small stuff. How do you guys handle this. Some of mine a notorious for sticking stuff up their nose
Also FCCRS is very strict about food products as craft material. I had a rice bin once when I did FCCRS. They gave no credit to anything. What do they think about sensory bins? Does anyone know?
Country Kids 10:16 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by Clueless:
do you have any problem with them putting thing in their mouths? I used to have a bean table. One of the GP had a fit cause a dcg had a bean down her shirt when she came home. lol. Mom just laughed and said she was playing in the bean table. GM gasped, what if she ate it or put it up her nose.
With mixed ageas I think it is hard to have small stuff. How do you guys handle this. Some of mine a notorious for sticking stuff up their nose
I had a three year old putting things in their ear!!! More the rice then anything. Only one that has ever done it to. If they keep it up they just aren't allowed to play with it.
Kim 10:31 AM 03-30-2012

Sensory bins appeal to a child’s senses in a fun way and on many different levels!

I just went out and spent less than $8 on those water bead thngs Melskids was talking about and OMG! My kiddos cannot stop playing with them! THey absolutely LOVE them! They ask constantly when they can play! I am startign to think I could use it as a reward/consequence....LOL!! Even a couple of my parents could not resist sticking their hands in and playing around for a while.
These are the main reasons I have sensory bins!

Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Sensory bins are a great tool for children with SPD, and help them theraputically. The other things you mentioned are also great tools! Sensory bins are just another tool.

I do not have any children with SPD, but I use them for one reason:

The kids will play in them quietly for HOURS! Anything that give me hours of quiet time is awesome in my book!
But if I'm being completely honest THIS is the #1 reason I have them!

I change mine monthly or to go with the season. I get most of the ideas from the Counting Coconuts blog. This is the tub I have right now- spring theme. Most of what I put in the tubs is things I already have lying around so I'm not breaking the bank.

My3cents 10:45 AM 03-30-2012
I love sensory bins. I hope to come up with more.

Scoop and pour

My kiddo's have learned how to use a spoon well, thanks to the sensory table.

I use rice, shredded paper (biggest mess, but tons of fun) water, and more

Anything that fits in the table is a go with me. Messy, yes.........but so what I have to clean anywhooooo
nannyde 10:45 AM 03-30-2012
It's important to have "toys" that can be played with in unique ways and not just one way which, again, promotes divergent thinking. My kids will spend up to an hour with a sensory bin playing independantly.
I like the idea of having lots of toys that can be played with in lots of ways. I just want them to be things the next generation of kids can play with and not require an adult to be involved.

I'm not knocking sensory bins. I've never considered having them but I think they would be a full on blast for the kids. We are just chocked full of toys here for the kids and we couldn't get them thru all of them if we tried.
Meeko 10:46 AM 03-30-2012
I'm with Nannyde on the "I want it to last for years". I have toys in my day care that my sons (now age 30 and 27) played with. They are still in good condition and I expect them to last many more years.

I make sure the kids have plenty of choices and opportunities to touch, create etc. We paint, do crafts, play with water (outside only).

I'm "old school" too and quite honestly don't see the point in sensory tables/boxes/humongous messes. I think my kids explore and learn enough.

I DO have some old soda bottles that I filled with rice and some tiny toys/marbles and then sealed up tight so they can't be spilled. Does that count since they can't touch the contents! I just say 'find the elephant" or whatever, and they turn the bottle all over until it appears.

I think I would go stark raving mad if I had to vacuum up tons of beans/rice/sand etc every day!!!! Not to mention that my kids would try and eat it and/or shove it where the sun don't shine!
My3cents 11:08 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I'm with Nannyde on the "I want it to last for years". I have toys in my day care that my sons (now age 30 and 27) played with. They are still in good condition and I expect them to last many more years.

I make sure the kids have plenty of choices and opportunities to touch, create etc. We paint, do crafts, play with water (outside only).

I'm "old school" too and quite honestly don't see the point in sensory tables/boxes/humongous messes. I think my kids explore and learn enough.

I DO have some old soda bottles that I filled with rice and some tiny toys/marbles and then sealed up tight so they can't be spilled. Does that count since they can't touch the contents! I just say 'find the elephant" or whatever, and they turn the bottle all over until it appears.

I think I would go stark raving mad if I had to vacuum up tons of beans/rice/sand etc every day!!!! Not to mention that my kids would try and eat it and/or shove it where the sun don't shine!
I guess I have a creative artsy side to myself. Very visual and like to feel things. When I buy clothing, I need to feel the fabric first to see if I like it,if it is quality etc.. I know some providers that have had the rice tables for longer then ten years. I enjoyed coloring my rice and its therapeutic for me as well as the kids. Any rice that lands on the floor gets thrown out. I get into the frame of mind when I take the table out that I am going to make a mess and its going to require clean up and then just deal with it. I control it, if it gets to be too much it is put away.

Nan- consider it, maybe start outside and then work it inside come winter. I also find it's something most likely they are not going to do at home. Unique.

I don't do anything to be cookie cutter........and resent being pushed in that direction. I do it for many of the reasons stated and just simply because its fun.

Going to take mine out today throw some zoo animals in it.

I find the ooey gooey lady to be close to my heart too
nannyde 11:44 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
Nan- consider it, maybe start outside and then work it inside come winter. I also find it's something most likely they are not going to do at home. Unique.
I don't have an outdoor play area.

My dc parents are super uber crafty. A couple of my kids have a parent who makes their living as a preschool teacher and administrator. Another parent is an artist.

The parents have the artsy crafty stuff completely covered.

I'm not a crafty person. I don't like doing art. I love looking at it but not doing it. I seem to draw really creative parents so we balance each other out. One of my kids that is in second grade got a full scholarship to the Des Moines Art Center for talented and gifted art students. She was with me for the first five years and ended up being an amazing little artist.

I don't worry about doing that kind of thing here. I really don't spend a minute thinking about it. The kids are so busy and they turn out to be wonderful students so the parents and I together seem to net really balanced kids. It's a good thing to find parents who bring to the table the things you lack.
Countrygal 12:42 PM 03-30-2012
Thanks, nanny, your post makes me feel better!

My sensory bin had beans for the base, I added feathers, small cars, a magnifying glass, some large spoons, some mardis gras beads for color, I can't remember what else. The only thing that got any attention at all was the magnifying glass, which is one of the things available upon request anyway....
SilverSabre25 12:51 PM 03-30-2012
Why?

Why not?

They're fun. They provide varied sensory experiences. They let kids touch and handle things that they might not otherwise get to ever play with, but are secretly itching to explore. They are interesting.

But by all means, they are not the only method of getting sensory experiences; don't feel pressured to use them!

(I'm about to make a spring/birds one with birdseed as the base...when we're done, we will make bird feeders with the birdseed )
Countrygal 12:57 PM 03-30-2012
Ok...I see sorry!

I obviously feel a little guilty about it, it's supposed to be the "right" thing to do, and I get it in theory, just not in practice with my particular group.

There is just no one-size-fits-all answer, ever, and I resent that some of us are being pushed into a cookie cutter. There are MANY ways to provide really awesome care, and with the pushing of FCCER's in our state, we are getting all getting crammed into the SAME cookie cutter. So, this conversation is more about me not drinking the koolaid than sensory bins, I think.

nannyde 01:10 PM 03-30-2012
Thanks, nanny, your post makes me feel better!
Nice

JenNJ 01:26 PM 03-30-2012
I had them in my preschool classroom and found them to be messy and they started fights.

Now that I run my own program, I have the kids get the sensory stuff handled in real life situations. Digging in the real dirt outside, making piles of mulch and rocks with the Tonka/CAT trucks, measuring ingredients when baking and cooking, kneading their own pizza and bread dough once a week, picking flowers and clovers outside, and planting bulbs and seeds in the garden.

I find that kids learn best through real life experiences and they have more fun doing real activities vs. table activities. The only thing we do at the table is eat Otherwise we are playing hard inside or out.
nannyde 01:36 PM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I had them in my preschool classroom and found them to be messy and they started fights.

Now that I run my own program, I have the kids get the sensory stuff handled in real life situations. Digging in the real dirt outside, making piles of mulch and rocks with the Tonka/CAT trucks, measuring ingredients when baking and cooking, kneading their own pizza and bread dough once a week, picking flowers and clovers outside, and planting bulbs and seeds in the garden.

I find that kids learn best through real life experiences and they have more fun doing real activities vs. table activities. The only thing we do at the table is eat Otherwise we are playing hard inside or out.
Jen have you started planting? If so, what?

We just did our front garden which was a TON of work. We dug it out about 18 inches and turned it over. We put about a couple of inches of top soil and left it sit.
JenNJ 01:51 PM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Jen have you started planting? If so, what?

We just did our front garden which was a TON of work. We dug it out about 18 inches and turned it over. We put about a couple of inches of top soil and left it sit.
Not quite yet. We just mixed in fertilizer and turned the soil so far. We moved the garden since we had a new sprinkler system put in. No more watering plants. Just the push of a button at the beginning of Spring. Magic! But my raspberry bushes have leaves already! I am shocked!

This year I am doing summer squash, cucumbers, 6 different varieties of tomatoes, onions (they are in since they are perennials), GIANT pumpkins and "ghost" pumpkins, snap peas, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, basil, chives, and scallions. I'm toying with the idea of lettuce/greens as well. I'm still not sold since I can get those fairly cheap at the farmers market. I like high producing plants. My garden real estate is valuable!
JenNJ 01:53 PM 03-30-2012
And if you can get a local farmer to give you some horse poo, you are golden. My father in law has horses, so I have an endless supply of fertilizer. Just bring it home and let it sit with other yard and produce waste. Makes awesome organic growing soil. CHEAP too.
nannyde 02:06 PM 03-30-2012
Not quite yet. We just mixed in fertilizer and turned the soil so far. We moved the garden since we had a new sprinkler system put in. No more watering plants. Just the push of a button at the beginning of Spring. Magic! But my raspberry bushes have leaves already! I am shocked!

This year I am doing summer squash, cucumbers, 6 different varieties of tomatoes, onions (they are in since they are perennials), GIANT pumpkins and "ghost" pumpkins, snap peas, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, basil, chives, and scallions. I'm toying with the idea of lettuce/greens as well. I'm still not sold since I can get those fairly cheap at the farmers market. I like high producing plants. My garden real estate is valuable!
YUMMMMMY

We have about fifteen feet by four feet I think so we have to plan it better this year. We for sure are going to do tomatoes, basil, rosemary, sage, and spinach. We have had good luck each year with those.

What's a ghost pumpkin?
Blackcat31 02:49 PM 03-30-2012

What's a ghost pumpkin?
a white pumpkin

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-201_162-983978.html
JenNJ 02:59 PM 03-30-2012
Yes! I love them! They are so pretty and unique. They really add to the Halloween decor around here!
Vianne 03:30 PM 03-30-2012
Hi, I just have a medium sized tub full of dried peas and some plastic turtles, spoons, scoops, funnel, little things like that. It's not a huge piece of plastic, it's easily transported and can sit on a table top. Right now the only one who can play w it is the 3 yr old. The others are still too young & will put everything in their mouths but she will play with it for hours upon hours.

Can someone tell me about " those water bead thngs Melskids was talking about " That sounds interesting to me & I've never heard of them.

Thanks
Vianne 03:33 PM 03-30-2012
Sorry. Meant to post a pic.
Attached: peas.jpg (65.0 KB) 
EntropyControlSpecialist 05:04 PM 03-30-2012
The early childhood educator in me screams, "YOU GO GIRL!" for those that have sensory bins.

There's cognitive, language, social, and emotional development occurring through the use of sensory tables/bins.
EntropyControlSpecialist 05:04 PM 03-30-2012
(A cheapie way to go about getting one is to buy an under the bed container. They're around $10-15.)
Crystal 05:12 PM 03-30-2012
Also FCCRS is very strict about food products as craft material. I had a rice bin once when I did FCCRS. They gave no credit to anything. What do they think about sensory bins? Does anyone know?
RE. FCCRS.....Sensory bins are not a requirement for the FCCRS......however sand and water play are. So, your sensory bin could hold only sand or water and you would get credit. Oh, it should also have "tools" for measuring, puring, sifting, etc. to get a 7.

As far as food goes.....I do not use food either. I feel that it is disrespectful. There are children in this world who would LOVE to have that food put on their table for a meal....kids who are going hugry. We teach children not to waste food, we teach them not to play with their food, yet we put food in sensory bins for them to waste and play with. It's contradictory to what we teach as appropriate use of food.

There are TONS of things that can be used in sensory bins/tables without it being food related.
Mary Poppins 05:57 PM 03-30-2012
Oh, gosh, I love my sensory bins!!!!!!!! I have several of all sizes, types, ect. I even make tiny ones for the babies using those plastic baby food containers that I glue shut and fill with all sorts of stuff.

Yes, I spent way too much $ on some of them but I don't care. I am addicted and I have one shelved wall in my preschool room dedicated to storing them. They are awesomerrific and the kids have way too much fun using them. I even love the mess, because I have them help clean up and it is a great way to learn how to use a broom and dustpan.

Sometimes, when the dcks are not here, I play in them, too. Don't judge me.
MizzCheryl 05:58 PM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
RE. FCCRS.....Sensory bins are not a requirement for the FCCRS......however sand and water play are. So, your sensory bin could hold only sand or water and you would get credit. Oh, it should also have "tools" for measuring, puring, sifting, etc. to get a 7.

As far as food goes.....I do not use food either. I feel that it is disrespectful. There are children in this world who would LOVE to have that food put on their table for a meal....kids who are going hugry. We teach children not to waste food, we teach them not to play with their food, yet we put food in sensory bins for them to waste and play with. It's contradictory to what we teach as appropriate use of food.

There are TONS of things that can be used in sensory bins/tables without it being food related.
True, but rice is cheap and the beans were pretty cheap too. I can remember when I was a kid running my hands thru the bins of beans at the produce stores. It is hard to resist. I don't really think it is disrespectful. Plenty of people use cucumbers on their eyes or milk to tighten their skin(the lactic acid works great). Also corn is used to make ethanol gas. Foods have many uses.

I always had sand and water play with the needed materials for FCCRS. I just had the rice too. They just don't recognize it or didn't when I had the rice bins.
I had a child with Sensory Intigration Dysfunction. OP recommened rice and Bean tables.
Countrygal 06:19 PM 03-31-2012

Cabbage produces the most pounds of food per acre (as far as truck crops).... just a bit of trivia I picked up who knows when????
Countrygal 06:27 PM 03-31-2012
Don't even get me started on the sand and water. We have to have sand and water outside and inside. Digging in the dirt doesn't count. My kids grew up digging in the dirt in an area with absolutely no sand. They didn't seem exactly underprivileged. Of course, if they didn't want to dig in the dirt, they always had the cow manure, or the straw, or the horse or duck manure - now goose poop is really fun! slimey and slippery! OK, JK. But seriously, what are all of these regulations about that specify you have to have this toy/play material or that? I just don't get it. Does it that drastically effect the quality of care if I let my kids dig in dirt instead of providing a sand table? I'm lucky here - my dirt IS sand. Just about pure beach sand right out my back door.
Heidi 07:34 PM 03-31-2012
True, but rice is cheap and the beans were pretty cheap too. I can remember when I was a kid running my hands thru the bins of beans at the produce stores. It is hard to resist. I don't really think it is disrespectful. Plenty of people use cucumbers on their eyes or milk to tighten their skin(the lactic acid works great). Also corn is used to make ethanol gas. Foods have many uses.

I always had sand and water play with the needed materials for FCCRS. I just had the rice too. They just don't recognize it or didn't when I had the rice bins.
I had a child with Sensory Intigration Dysfunction. OP recommened rice and Bean tables.
Yep, the FCCERs says specifically sand & water. Perhaps Thelma Harms didn't have FCC in her own home when she wrote it? For myself, that's not going to happen here, and no one can convince me otherwise. My little buddies get sand in the sandbox outside, and water in the bathtub 3x a week, plus when they wash their hands 12 times a day. That's either going to have to be enough, or they'll just have to be intellectually demented.
cheerfuldom 07:51 PM 03-31-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:

There are TONS of filler ideas that do not mean a mess to vacuum up. You don't have to put beans/rice/sand in every box. Some filler items can be picked up by the kids just as they would clean up any toy....like large pom poms. I absolutely agree though that there are tons of ways to help kids learn and explore and its no big deal if sensory bins dont work for your program. Some of them do take some adult involvement and for me, I have no problem with that. Sensory bins are one of the few things that I will sit with the kids, watch them have fun, assist if needed. I think the good times to be had are more than worth it. Most of the time, my kids here are very independent but sensory bins are something we all have fun doing together. You all know me, I'm not into entertaining kids but on the other hand, we like doing things together and yes, that does include my involvement....same thing for cooking, some types of art projects, etc.
cheerfuldom 07:55 PM 03-31-2012
I guess I have a creative artsy side to myself. Very visual and like to feel things. When I buy clothing, I need to feel the fabric first to see if I like it,if it is quality etc.. I know some providers that have had the rice tables for longer then ten years. I enjoyed coloring my rice and its therapeutic for me as well as the kids. Any rice that lands on the floor gets thrown out. I get into the frame of mind when I take the table out that I am going to make a mess and its going to require clean up and then just deal with it. I control it, if it gets to be too much it is put away.

I don't do anything to be cookie cutter........and resent being pushed in that direction. I do it for many of the reasons stated and just simply because its fun.

Going to take mine out today throw some zoo animals in it.

I find the ooey gooey lady to be close to my heart too
agree! For me, like I said, I dont do the bins for any other reason than that the kids love it and it is fun. Sure there are some educational purposes to it but also, we just like having fun. There doesnt have to be a "reason", does there?
cheerfuldom 07:57 PM 03-31-2012
I don't have an outdoor play area.

My dc parents are super uber crafty. A couple of my kids have a parent who makes their living as a preschool teacher and administrator. Another parent is an artist.

I'm not a crafty person. I don't like doing art. I love looking at it but not doing it. I seem to draw really creative parents so we balance each other out. One of my kids that is in second grade got a full scholarship to the Des Moines Art Center for talented and gifted art students. She was with me for the first five years and ended up being an amazing little artist.

I don't worry about doing that kind of thing here. I really don't spend a minute thinking about it. The kids are so busy and they turn out to be wonderful students so the parents and I together seem to net really balanced kids. It's a good thing to find parents who bring to the table the things you lack.
Agree to the bolded! This is why I spend a lot of time outdoors and a lot of time doing art with my kids. None of them get much of this at home. They do get a ton of cuddling, holding, one-on-one attention, toys, and so the parents cover that end....I get the other stuff!
cheerfuldom 08:01 PM 03-31-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:

you bring up a very good point! We also don't use food products UNLESS we can reuse it later in another way.
Country Kids 09:30 PM 03-31-2012
I notice when I get the sensory bin out my whole groups calms way, way down-. It just suddenly becomes calm, quiet and serine.

One of my little ones that takes some retraining everyday will just sit forever and play with it. If they do make a mess, the little one will pick it up. I have watched how careful they are with pouring, sorting, sizing, comparing. It is actually amazing to me what their brain comes up with when they do a sensory bin. I see them put tons of effort into it then any other toy I have and I have very good toys.
saved4always 10:46 AM 04-01-2012
What are things that are good to use in a sensory bin for toddlers (18 months to 3 years old)? I wouldn't want to use anything as a base that is chokeable or against liscensing rules. I have never done a sensory bin but is sounds like a fun thing to add for indoor play.
Ariana 05:50 PM 04-01-2012
Originally Posted by saved4always:
What are things that are good to use in a sensory bin for toddlers (18 months to 3 years old)? I wouldn't want to use anything as a base that is chokeable or against liscensing rules. I have never done a sensory bin but is sounds like a fun thing to add for indoor play.
Do you have a paper shredder? I once did a sensory bin with shredded colored paper, wool and sticks and pine cones.
My3cents 11:30 AM 04-02-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde;213656[B:
]I don't have an outdoor play area. [/b]

you don't do an outside play area? It's mandatory here. Mine is basic but I want to update it this summer with a few things- looking for ideas that work well.

Too each their own. Just because your parents are crafty and creative doesn't mean that they share that with their kids. My mother loved crafts etc...... but that was her thing-

again to each their own......Would love to see updated pictures of your set up sometime- your toys sound like I want to come and play too!!!
nannyde 11:51 AM 04-02-2012
you don't do an outside play area? It's mandatory here. Mine is basic but I want to update it this summer with a few things- looking for ideas that work well.

Too each their own. Just because your parents are crafty and creative doesn't mean that they share that with their kids. My mother loved crafts etc...... but that was her thing-

again to each their own......Would love to see updated pictures of your set up sometime- your toys sound like I want to come and play too!!!
We aren't required to have in ON our property. We just have to have access to an outdoor area. Lots of folks do child care in apartments and trailer parks here where they don't have space outdoors that belongs to them or is attached to their property.

I live 500 feet from a four acre city park and four blocks from a four acre K-8th grade field with equipment from age three to twelve.

I have crafty crafty parents but honestly.. that doesn't really matter. Crafts are ONE activity you can have a kid do while in child care or at home. We do a little bit here and there but it's not something that is weighted as highly as free playing toys. That is the most important activity here other than the basic care stuff.

Child care providers should feel free to offer the activities that they enjoy doing with kids and not feel as if the only opportunity for the child to have the life experience is under their roof. The kids have parents and the parents are all as qualified as I am.. or MORE qualified than I am to do arts/crafts education etc. I have multiple aged group kids here and a kick toy collection so they are plenty busy. What I have here.. none of the kids have at home.

If you dig sensory bins then DO that. If you like crafts then do THAT. If you like doing educational activities... then offer that. One of the beautiful things about this business is that you are your own boss and you get to decide.
My3cents 10:06 AM 04-04-2012
We aren't required to have in ON our property. We just have to have access to an outdoor area. Lots of folks do child care in apartments and trailer parks here where they don't have space outdoors that belongs to them or is attached to their property. I am surprised that your state allows this.

I live 500 feet from a four acre city park and four blocks from a four acre K-8th grade field with equipment from age three to twelve.

I have crafty crafty parents but honestly.. that doesn't really matter. Crafts are ONE activity you can have a kid do while in child care or at home. We do a little bit here and there but it's not something that is weighted as highly as free playing toys. That is the most important activity here other than the basic care stuff.

Child care providers should feel free to offer the activities that they enjoy doing with kids and not feel as if the only opportunity for the child to have the life experience is under their roof. The kids have parents and the parents are all as qualified as I am.. or MORE qualified than I am to do arts/crafts education etc. I have multiple aged group kids here and a kick toy collection so they are plenty busy. What I have here.. none of the kids have at home.

If you dig sensory bins then DO that. If you like crafts then do THAT. If you like doing educational activities... then offer that. One of the beautiful things about this business is that you are your own boss and you get to decide.
I totally agree with you- I enjoy the messy play- so I do it when I feel called to do it. If I am having a down day and don't want the extra hassle along with the daily daily, then I don't take that type of stuff out. I came back to this post because I was outside with my kiddo's and thinking to myself how much I hate the climbing stuff- Is it mandatory for me to have this in my play yard? No. I wish my swing was just simple- it is but I wish it was more then it is. No slide, fort, monkey bars. Just a couple of swings would be great. I think we put a lot on ourselves to offer it all. The responsibility should be on the parents to offer this to their child if they want it. I don't have to expose everything to them to be a great provider.

This has probably been addressed before but what are your favorite free standing toys that your kids play with the most. Top five....or more if you wish and how has this changed over the years or group of kiddo's you have had in care?
snbauser 10:34 AM 04-04-2012
I came back to this post because I was outside with my kiddo's and thinking to myself how much I hate the climbing stuff- Is it mandatory for me to have this in my play yard? No. I wish my swing was just simple- it is but I wish it was more then it is. No slide, fort, monkey bars. Just a couple of swings would be great. I think we put a lot on ourselves to offer it all. The responsibility should be on the parents to offer this to their child if they want it. I don't have to expose everything to them to be a great provider.

This has probably been addressed before but what are your favorite free standing toys that your kids play with the most. Top five....or more if you wish and how has this changed over the years or group of kiddo's you have had in care?
Just wanted to say that I felt the same way with my climbing stuff. I just got rid of it about 3 weeks ago. The kids haven't missed it at all. I am on the hunt for some wooden balance beams that will last outside along with some tree trunk stepping logs to put on the mulched area instead of a climbing set. For now I had these http://www.kaplanco.com/store/trans/...15|0&PID=81900 and http://www.kaplanco.com/store/trans/...15|0&PID=81806 and put them out in that area and the kids love them.
Country Kids 11:48 AM 04-04-2012
I have a castle with a slide, a little tykes climber thing with a tunnel and 2 slides, 2 play houses-a small one, then a 9 ft x 6ftx7ft. Then I have the little tykes cube climber with slide and my swing set (two swings, monkey bars, trapeze bar and slide. Got rid of my other swing set last year. Really hoping and crossing my fingers this year I can get a play structure that I have my eyes on.

My kids absolutely love,love all my stuff and this year I'm going to try my hardest to throw in alot of nature stuff also. If it ever,ever quits raining.
Mommy2One 08:07 AM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by Vianne:
Can someone tell me about " those water bead thngs Melskids was talking about " That sounds interesting to me & I've never heard of them.

Thanks
Water beads are awesome! I think I like them more than my daughter. They're actually supposed to be used in floral arrangements I think. They come as tiny hard pellets which you soak in water. They absorb the water and become these squishy, slippery, bouncy little balls about the size of marbles. They're semi-translucent and come in all sorts of colors. They're really neat scooped into clear containers and you can shine lights on/through them as well. I bought mine from here: http://www.rainbowwaterbeads.com/ind...parent=23&pg=1

5 colors for $8, free shipping to US/Canada and you can use code "RMN" to get 15% off $10+

Two packages made a nice 1"-2" layer on the bottom of my decent sized Rubbermaid bin.
Blackcat31 08:36 AM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by Mommy2One:
Water beads are awesome! I think I like them more than my daughter. They're actually supposed to be used in floral arrangements I think. They come as tiny hard pellets which you soak in water. They absorb the water and become these squishy, slippery, bouncy little balls about the size of marbles. They're semi-translucent and come in all sorts of colors. They're really neat scooped into clear containers and you can shine lights on/through them as well. I bought mine from here: http://www.rainbowwaterbeads.com/ind...parent=23&pg=1

5 colors for $8, free shipping to US/Canada and you can use code "RMN" to get 15% off $10+

Two packages made a nice 1"-2" layer on the bottom of my decent sized Rubbermaid bin.
I bought mine at Walmart for $2 per bag. Super cool and VERY fun!
snbauser 10:30 AM 04-05-2012
What size packages did you get? I am horrible at estimating that type of stuff.
EntropyControlSpecialist 10:48 AM 04-05-2012

I just bought 10 for $12 and some change. Better priced than Walmart, where I just purchased 4 for $8!
Tags:sensory bins, sensory material, sensory processing disorder, sensory table
Reply Up