Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Hold You...
Msdunny 06:17 AM 04-11-2013
I have a 19 month old dcb who constantly follows me around saying, "I hold you". He would let me carry him around all day, if I were willing. He will play on his own, but prefers to be carried. I do a lot of, "No, you go play"

Any ideas? I know he will grow out of it eventually, but he is getting heavy! . I also have a dcg who just turned 1 over the weekend who can't stand when I leave her side and also wants to be carried. I am becoming a pack mule!!
LeslieG 06:46 AM 04-11-2013
I would continue to do what you're doing by saying, "No, you go play", but just make sure you set aside a little snuggle time during the day if that's what he needs (like 10-15 minutes) where he can sit with you.. maybe read a book with him or something.

Maybe every time he comes up to you and wants to be held, give him a hug and say "It's time to play".
daycarediva 07:28 AM 04-11-2013
"I can give you a hug, but I can't pick you up right now!" and then I just give hugs.

I only do 2+, and they ALL still ask to be held daily. Who still carries their crazy heavy kids around the house?
Play Care 07:32 AM 04-11-2013
If I can I will sit on the floor and offer that type of cuddle. I do not carry any kids who are capable of walking. I would keep doing what you are doing and maybe offering to *sit* with him when you can. This job can be physically demanding so I try to reduce unnecessary lifting.
Reply Up