Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Pretty Sure This Isn't True....
youretooloud 09:07 AM 08-15-2011
But, I had a new mom come today, and she tried my door. I had locked it, since they were very late, and I assumed she was a no show.

I always keep the door unlocked during drop off and pick up. But, after 9:00, I lock it.

She tried to tell me "I have been working with licensing for years, and open door means you leave the door open at all times". I actually laughed at her.

I told her "open door" means you can come over and see your child when ever you like, but I'll open the door FOR you. It doesn't mean I leave my door unlocked at all times.

She was extremely rude to me in front of the kids, so I termed her on the spot, and they left.

I bet she was one of those moms who wants to stay home, and now she can go home and say to her husband "I tried, but the lady is crazy and wouldn't even let me in! So, I'm just going to be a stay at home mom".

She didn't even seem like she was remotely serious when she was arguing with me... it was like she wanted to pick any fight she could so I'd tell her to leave.
Cat Herder 09:10 AM 08-15-2011
Are you ready for a visit?
Michelle 09:22 AM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Exactly what I was thinking.... these kind of moms are very vindictive
The way I deal with this kind of situation is, I just tell the mom, Yes, I always keep the door locked for the protection of the kids and myself.
Hopefully she will just go home and chill out and not call.
Meeko 09:30 AM 08-15-2011
You are right. Open door policy means parents can come visit any time they wish. But you do NOT have to have your doors unlocked.

I would call your licensing dept. and tell them what happened and that you termed her.

That way...when she calls them to tell them you bit her child four times, hit him with a belt and hung him up by his toes from a tree in the back yard and threw rocks at him.......they will know the truth. My licensor told me she has heard some real doozies of stories over the years. She told me that only a handful of the complaints they receive are legit..... sadly, about 90% of the complaint calls are not truthful and they are made because the parent has been termed over non-payment, behavior etc.
youretooloud 09:41 AM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I'm not licensed and it's not illegal. So, she can send anyone she wants, but they can't do anything.
AnneCordelia 09:46 AM 08-15-2011
My policy is the same as yours....come anytime your child is in care and I'll be happy to open the door for you. I always explain this in full at the interview.

She sounds like a particularly fun case of crazy...how did she get by the screening? LOL!
AnythingsPossible 10:06 AM 08-15-2011
In my state open door policy requires that doors remain unlocked at all times. Fire code requires this as well. I don't like it, but it is the way our rules read.
CheekyChick 10:11 AM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
In my state open door policy requires that doors remain unlocked at all times. Fire code requires this as well. I don't like it, but it is the way our rules read.
It's the same in Oregon. I have to have one door unlocked at all times. They say it's a matter of allowing emergency personnel (fire/police) access to the house if needed. I don't keep the front or side door open (I have crafty two year olds), but I leave the back door open.
sharlan 10:07 AM 08-15-2011
I have never heard that you have to have your door unlocked, not here anyways.

Once less crazy parent to deal with.
Cat Herder 10:07 AM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I'm not licensed and it's not illegal. So, she can send anyone she wants, but they can't do anything.
I agree you are WELL within your rights.....

Remember, I keep my doors locked, have a driveway alarm and one way glass....

I am just saying..."Be ready.."

These types of women are vindictive.
Tags:parent - unrealistic expectations, terminate - now, termination - behavioral
Reply Up