Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>drinks
WImom 12:11 PM 02-14-2012
Do your kids all have a cup they use all day for water drinks or do you give them a new one? Do you have a time per day you give out water?

The kids here have never asked for drinks outside of snacks and meals until recently (they would also get them outside in summer).

I have no problem if one wants a drink but of course then all 8 want a drink whether they really want one or not. I feel like I'm going through so many cups to wash. (I won't use paper - Eco friendly daycare here)

I'd like to know what you all do but also if your in WI - what is licensing rule on using a cup over as long as it's labeled for that child?
bice99 12:27 PM 02-14-2012
My kids keep the same one all day for water. The milk ones from lunch go straight into the dishwasher.
Heidi 12:36 PM 02-14-2012
mine us the same ones for water all day, they each have a color assigned to them, so there's no confusion. I used to use the old tupperware ones (and similar), but they no longer make those, so even though I still have the cups, I dont have the lids. So, I put them on the counter, and when they are thirsty, I supervise them getting water from the fridge. And yes, it is catching! lol

My toddlers I got those really cheap sippy ones, but they may not carry them around. They get a sip, and then up they go. They usually fuss about it, of course. Probably because at home, they are allowed to carry.

I serve milk at meals in some little espresso cups I found at Dollar General. I am juuust working on training the 18 mo twins to use those. Up until now, they've had seperate sippies for lunch.
MarinaVanessa 12:41 PM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by bice99:
My kids keep the same one all day for water. The milk ones from lunch go straight into the dishwasher.
Same here. I also do color coded cups, plates and utencils. Each child has a specific color and those are theirs. I also keep several sets of each so that I don't have to wash them until the end of the day.

I buy mine from IKEA. A 6 pc plates set (one of each color; yellow, green, orange, pink, light blue and dark blue) is $1.99, so is the 6 pc set of bowls and 6 pc set of cups. The utencil set also comes with all 6 colors (knife, fork, spoon ... 18 pcs total) and is also $1.99. I have 2 or 3 cups to wash per child but they all just get dropped into the dishwasher at the end of the meal and I run one full load at the end of the day after my family and I clean up after dinner.
frugalmama4 12:48 PM 02-14-2012
Yep, we we're just taking about this in a thread I posted early.

I just made out my shopping list to go and grab more cups/plates/spoons-etc...I think this will save me a lot of time.

Now off to train the toddlers how to load a dish washer

Love you guys!
Meeko 12:53 PM 02-14-2012
I have 16 kids most days. That's too much washing and not enough colors to keep separate. So we do disposable everything.
familyschoolcare 12:59 PM 02-14-2012
We use the same cup all day for water. Each cup is labeled with the child's name. The children have assigned seats at the table and that is where the stay. So even the ones that can not yet read know which cup is for them.
sharlan 01:35 PM 02-14-2012
My kids have 2 cups a day. One for juice/water (rinsed out and reused) and another one for milk (used and put in the sink).
Blackcat31 01:41 PM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by WImom:
I feel like I'm going through so many cups to wash. (I won't use paper - Eco friendly daycare here)
My kiddos get drinks (water only) any time they ask for one. I use paper cups though and am eco-friendly as we are super big on recycling.

I use paper everything and we recycle everything too.

The only real garbage I have is diapers and that is about it. We use or food waste for compost and all the paper products as well as the containers the food comes in is recycled.

I thin between my own home and daycare we spend about $8 every other month for garbage disposal.

As far as the drinking goes; yes, they all want a drink as soon as one asks but at least that way they are all satisfied and it is a while before it happens again.
SunflowerMama 02:00 PM 02-14-2012
I found some great little water bottles for $1 at Walmart. They each have one with their name on it and they sit on the kitchen counter all day so they can drink all day without assistance.
MarinaVanessa 02:04 PM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I have 16 kids most days. That's too much washing and not enough colors to keep separate. So we do disposable everything.
Yep I would too if I had 16 kids. It would cost and waste more to run the dishwasher that many times a day than it would to throw disposies away
daycare 02:05 PM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
I found some great little water bottles for $1 at Walmart. They each have one with their name on it and they sit on the kitchen counter all day so they can drink all day without assistance.
I also do this for water.

Milk I use Ross and go cups that we never toss.
I use straws.
I use a white board marker and put the letter of their first name on the lid.
I rewash the cup.
beachgrl 02:12 PM 02-14-2012
Mine have their own cups they use and I just refill them. I was leaving the cups on the table for them to get when they wanted a drink, they just have to stay in the kitchen area with them due to dropsies...but the toddlers I have have gotten so obsessed with carrying them around and repeatedly saying juice juice juice juice juice that I put them in the fridge and we have drink breaks during the day. Usually one will indicate they want their cup, and everyone will want to take a break for a drink then they go back up when they are done. I will let them keep them out as long as I am not constantly having to redirect them to the kitchen with them. then of course we have them out at mealtimes.
Crazy8 07:13 PM 02-14-2012
I only allow non-spill cups - they bring 2 from home when they start and I label them with their names. One is for milk, the other water/juice. The water/juice cup is usually right on the counter or the playroom table for them to grab.
Reply Up