Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Two Weeks Notice Payment?
Greenshadow 03:07 AM 06-24-2010
Ok so I have a payment question:

If I decide to take in a helper and increase the amount of kids I have and a parent doesnt like that (and because when they first started when I first opened, I said I wouldnt take more) should I make them pay if they decide to terminate because they dont like the fact that Im taking in more kids?

I have a contract and in it, it states that if they quit they have to give a paid 2-wk notice. Would you make them pay a 2-wk notice if it was YOUR word you went back on that they feel forced them to term?

My gut tells me that they should pay for the 2 weeks. A contract is a contract. They signed it. Whether I change my word or not, I AM hiring help to cover the new kids, when I take them in.
judytrickett 04:20 AM 06-24-2010
They still pay. The contract says they pay so they pay. Done. Besides, it's not like from the time you tell them to the time they leave you are actually going to have double the kids. So, to them the care is exactly the same up and until they leave (if they so choose).

But, don't assume they will leave. One, because they might realize that finding a provider who does NOT want to be at maximum numbers and income is hard to find. And two, because they already have a trust base and relationship with you and that would have to start all over for both them and their child.

If they are otherwise happy they might just stay on.
Greenshadow 04:35 AM 06-24-2010
I hope they do stay on. I like all my parents so far. I think with hiring someone else to increase my numbers is a positive thing. I hope they feel that way too. Thanks for the reply!
judytrickett 05:05 AM 06-24-2010
Originally Posted by Greenshadow:
I hope they do stay on. I like all my parents so far. I think with hiring someone else to increase my numbers is a positive thing. I hope they feel that way too. Thanks for the reply!
You know, through the years daycare evolves and lots of changes take place the first five years or so as you figure out your groove and what works for you. I think all providers go through periods of wanting and needing a change.

I have made LOTS of changes in my time. And, through all the changes I have only ever lots ONE family. I have gone from no contract and just pay as you go to having a contract and making parents pay for ALL days, giving non-paid vacation time to parents to making them pay regardless of attendance, changing my hours to work one less hour per day, lots and lots and lots of fee increases, and last, moving to a four day week.

Most parents will make it work if they are sensible and like what you offer.
MarinaVanessa 08:29 AM 06-25-2010
I agree. They pay! It states in your contract that they have to give a paid two-weeks notice so they dhould unless it specifically says in your contracts or policies that you will only care for X number of children and now you are going over. I doubt your contract spells out how many kids you'll be watching so you aren't breaching the contract, if she decides she doesn't want to pay or stay for her last two-weeks then she's in breach of contract.

*Hint: You may want to ask for this to be paid in advance when taking on new clients and even ask your current clients to also. I call it a "two-week deposit" that all of my clients pay (per child) in advance so that if a clients decides to terminate and gives a two-week notice then the last two weeks are paid with this. If they don't give a two-weeks notice or don't want to stay the last two-weeks they forfeit it. I let clients pay a portion of it at signing and then work out an amount added aditionally to each weeks payment until the deposit is paid in full. I always ask for everything in advance lol keeps me from having to worry about "What ifs". Just a thought.
Greenshadow 08:50 AM 06-25-2010
Thank you for the hint! I used to do a deposit but quit doing it when the economy took a dump. Maybe I should start it back up again. Thanks again!
Tags:assisitant, ratio, terminate
Reply Up