Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much Space Do You Have for Daycare??
SunflowerMama 06:11 AM 06-21-2010
Since I was told I couldn't use my upstairs for daycare I just feel like we don't have enough room.

I just feel like we are on top of each other at times and don't feel like I have the right set-up and that I'm not utilizing my space in the most efficient way. I feel like we're on top of each other at circle time and just don't feel like my centers have enough room.

I know there have been posts about pictures of everyone's area but I can't find many pics at all.

How much space do you have and how do you organize to get the best use of your space?
sahm2three 07:31 AM 06-21-2010
We have about 1500 sq feet in the basement and about the same upstairs. We mostly use the downstairs, but the upstairs is used when the little ones are awake and while I am making meals.
misol 07:33 AM 06-21-2010
twinmama I am looking forward to the responses to your post. I am sure that I have enough space for my daycare, however I KNOW that I don't have it set up so that I am making the best use of my space.
Unregistered 07:50 AM 06-21-2010
I have about 800 square feet. It gets crowded when there is more than 5 kids down there.
momma2girls 08:14 AM 06-21-2010
I have 1650 upstairs and the same downstairs, 5 bedrooms, 3 baths, large rec. room, etc. I do the majority of the daycare downstairs!!!
Greenshadow 08:32 AM 06-21-2010
In my home in California, we actually converted our garage for my daycare. It was WONDERFUL! Now, Im crammed into our downstairs too. Im told my house is 1450 sq ft total so I figure Im using about 725 sq ft downstairs. It is not a ton of room and Im constantly rearranging it to make more room. I think the way I have it set up now is working well for me! If I can figure out where to post pictures, I will post a few. I do naptime right in the middle of the floor in my living room, with playpens mostly, because I have quite a few children that are around 15 mos old. We go outside alot too, that helps.
Crystal 08:53 AM 06-21-2010
twinmama, I'd love to offer some suggestions, but need to know what you are working with. Are you trying to set up your space within your family area or do you have some separate space for daycare only, and if so, how big is it?
judytrickett 10:57 AM 06-21-2010
Five kids. 220 square feet of dedicated daycare space. One bathroom dedicated daycare space. Another 250 square feet of the rest of my basement that is partially dedicated as it is shared with my family's T.V. room (which hardly ever gets used but there is adult sized furniture etc in there so I don't consider it dedicated space).

All in all I have about 50 square feet per child dedicated space and about 100 square feet per child if I also count the shared space the kids have access to. PLUS the bathroom. And that is all open play space.
Golden Rule 11:02 AM 06-21-2010
We converted a double car garage into a rec room then seperated areas with pre-fab deck railing. Simple and reversible. (Georgia requires 35 square feet of usable floor space per child for home daycare. code 290-2-3-13 Section 1a In case anyone wants to know.)

The biggest cost was the insulated garage door and extra a/c unit......
SunflowerMama 11:19 AM 06-21-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
twinmama, I'd love to offer some suggestions, but need to know what you are working with. Are you trying to set up your space within your family area or do you have some separate space for daycare only, and if so, how big is it?

It is within our family area and I think if I could just talk my husband into moving some of the bigger pieces of furniture upstairs we could work with our living room more. He just doesn't want it taking over our family space but since we can't be upstairs anymore we may just have to work with what we can. I'm going to take some pictures so maybe that'll help your creative juices . Thanks!!
SunflowerMama 11:32 AM 06-21-2010
Here is my downstairs. Off of the hallway is the one restroom they use and then the playroom where they are napping right now. That is the room I feel crammed in b/c that is where I do circle time, etc. b/c it had carpet.

In that playroom there is now a blue Ikea table with 4 chairs in the middle and a pack n play in the corner so that basically fills that room. Whenever the kids are in there they are literally on top of each other. I just need ideas to make our family living room more welcoming so the kids can take advantage of the space out there.
Unregistered 11:07 AM 08-12-2010
Originally Posted by Greenshadow:
In my home in California, we actually converted our garage for my daycare. It was WONDERFUL! Now, Im crammed into our downstairs too. Im told my house is 1450 sq ft total so I figure Im using about 725 sq ft downstairs. It is not a ton of room and Im constantly rearranging it to make more room. I think the way I have it set up now is working well for me! If I can figure out where to post pictures, I will post a few. I do naptime right in the middle of the floor in my living room, with playpens mostly, because I have quite a few children that are around 15 mos old. We go outside alot too, that helps.
Hi Greenshawdow, had a question where do you live in CA and do you have any pictures of your garage conversion? I am thinking about converting my garage.

thanks my email address is teffany_dawsona@yahoo.com. I wold love to see your pictures if you have any.

thanks
DCMomOf3 11:44 AM 08-12-2010
I have about 900 sq ft of daycare, 750 of dedicated, and 150 I share with my DHs office for pack-n-plays at nap. I am in the proccess of re-vamping my toy supply and rearranging so I dont' have good pictures but want to post and get feedback when I'm more done.
Crystal 12:31 PM 06-21-2010
here is a link to the thread with some pics....I have a few there, but they are old. but gives you an idea of how my space is set up.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13067
Crystal 07:30 AM 06-22-2010
here are a couple of pics.....not everything, but an idea of how I set up my environment....
Attached: entry.jpg (91.9 KB) blocks.jpg (98.8 KB) overhead2.jpg (96.1 KB) 
nannyde 08:12 AM 06-22-2010
I can't figure out how to implant the pictures.
Attached: Picture 1270.jpg (92.8 KB) Picture 1048.jpg (86.7 KB) Picture 1743.jpg (93.9 KB) 032.jpg (98.4 KB) 
nannyde 08:34 AM 06-22-2010
A few more.
Attached: Picture 1659.jpg (95.4 KB) Picture 1744.jpg (96.0 KB) Picture 1653.jpg (91.1 KB) Picture 1646.jpg (93.1 KB) 
originalkat 08:47 AM 06-22-2010
Thanks for posting pictures guys! I love to see other daycare spaces to get good ideas!
Lianne 12:36 PM 06-22-2010
here are a couple of pics.....not everything, but an idea of how I set up my environment....
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I love your set up
Crystal 03:16 PM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by Lianne:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I love your set up
thank you
mismatchedsocks 03:28 PM 06-22-2010
Any idea why I cant see twinmamas pictures? I have tried everything!

ooops something to do with seeing something securely? I clicked no this time and I saw them!

Great job! Thanks for posting pictures!
Michael 03:33 PM 06-22-2010
Can anyone else NOT see them? I will look into this.
Abigail 12:43 AM 08-13-2010
What are the colored buckets on the wall? It looks very organized and cute!
seashell 08:11 AM 06-23-2010
I have a dedicated playroom for the kids in the basement (Ewww, that sounds so moldy!) They also use our living room early morning and late afternoon while we wait for drop off and pick up. My son will be moving out in a few years, so his room (Which is right next to the daycare room) will become part of our area. There's a slider in that room that goes right out to the yard. So sad to think about him leaving, but excited about the expansion.
Attached: downsized_0423000855b[1].JPG (82.6 KB) 24750_117093204985932_100000557593325_182587_865864_n.jpg (30.2 KB) classroom1.JPG (86.5 KB) 
Abigail 12:34 AM 08-13-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
Since I was told I couldn't use my upstairs for daycare I just feel like we don't have enough room.

I just feel like we are on top of each other at times and don't feel like I have the right set-up and that I'm not utilizing my space in the most efficient way. I feel like we're on top of each other at circle time and just don't feel like my centers have enough room.

I know there have been posts about pictures of everyone's area but I can't find many pics at all.

How much space do you have and how do you organize to get the best use of your space?
Can you take a few pictures so we can give you ideas on how to change what you have?
Tags:daycare photos, decor, layout, photos of our spaces, pictures, pictures of our spaces, space
Reply Up