Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Hours?
AnneCordelia 02:50 PM 07-24-2011
I'm curious as to the hours we all work across the board.

How many hours a week do you put into your daycare? How many of those hours are children in your care vs prep time off hours?
CheekyChick 03:06 PM 07-24-2011
About 50 with the children and 10 on the weekends (interviews, cleaning, shopping, paperwork, etc). Does time on these boards count too?
So addicting...
AnneCordelia 03:09 PM 07-24-2011
I do about 54 with the children. Another 4-10 on evenings/weekends depending on interviews and stuff.

I'm looking to cut that down to 45 hours/week with the children, which would be nice.
nannyde 03:22 PM 07-24-2011
About 55 hours of kids in the house and about five hours a week of non kid hours. So about sixty total.
pappyny 03:26 PM 07-24-2011
I do about 50 per week with the kids, then another 10 - 15 per week cleaning, prepping, shopping etc.
Sometimes I find myself addicted to organizing and rearranging my daycare space and I spend every free moment I have on just that!
laundrymom 03:32 PM 07-24-2011
I am 70 per week children, 14 per day. Plus grocery, banking, cleaning, so about 75 to 77hours.
mac60 03:32 PM 07-24-2011
55 actual daycare....another 10 to 15 with extra laundry, cleaning, shopping and all the other fun stuff we get to do concerning our business.
Crazy8 03:48 PM 07-24-2011
my hours are 7:30-5:00pm so totals 47.5 per week. Hours without kids varies anywhere from 5-15 hours a week, so I'd say I average a 55 hour week.
CheekyChick 04:48 PM 07-24-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I am 70 per week children, 14 per day. Plus grocery, banking, cleaning, so about 75 to 77hours.
Yikes!!!
PitterPatter 05:36 PM 07-24-2011
For the past couple years it has always been 50-60 hours per week with the kids then an hour every evening for clean up, mopping, scrubbing. Weekends I do all the shopping for the week and a bigger clean of the entire house. Not sure what that totals. As of this month I am now 40-50 hrs a week with kids. I dropped 10-20 hrs of work per week just by dropping a single child! Boy what a dif it makes too!
laundrymom 05:39 PM 07-24-2011
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
Yikes!!!
Lol. I work 4a to 6p.
PitterPatter 05:44 PM 07-24-2011
Lol. I work 4a to 6p.
OMG!! Kudos to u for having the strength and patience but can I ask why such long hours? I would burn out within a couple months I bet! I was losing the battle with just 60 hrs a week with 1 of my DCKs.
laundrymom 05:53 PM 07-24-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
OMG!! Kudos to u for having the strength and patience but can I ask why such long hours? I would burn out within a couple months I bet! I was losing the battle with just 60 hrs a week with 1 of my DCKs.
I've done it since may of 1990. I work in a factory town. They start at 420, I start at 4. Then I have office workers, who work to 530. Get here by 6.
Meeko 06:34 PM 07-24-2011
60 open hours (6AM - 6PM) I clean as I go and do my paperwork etc at nap time. I have an assistant which helps with getting things done.

Interviews are always after hours, but I stay pretty full, so not much interviewing per year.

I buy the day care food when I buy my own groceries which is on Fridays after work. We all go (me, hubby, adult son and two teen daughters) and every one has a list. We get in done in a flash and then we relax all weekend!
cheerfuldom 07:19 PM 07-24-2011
50 hours open, minimal time outside of regular hours working on daycare stuff. If I am looking to fill a spot, running ads, talking to prospects and stuff can add a lot of time but besides that I try and do everything else during daycare hours.
spud912 07:24 PM 07-24-2011
Lately it's been 68 hours with the children (6 days a week) plus grocery shopping, cleaning, planning. I've been really burnt out and will be terming my Sunday child as soon as I fill one spot.
wdmmom 07:55 PM 07-24-2011
50 hours of having children in attendance. Another 5-10 for grocery shopping, bank runs, cleaning, prepping food in advance, paying bills, taking calls from prospective clients, returning emails and interviewing.
CheekyChick 07:58 PM 07-24-2011
Lol. I work 4a to 6p.
Double YIKES!!!
Abigail 08:29 PM 07-24-2011
I thought we couldn't count are time driving places (only mileage) and I thought we couldn't count time spent outside the home where daycare is provided on things like shopping. Is this just a general question or a tax related question? LOL
countrymom 04:39 AM 07-25-2011
no more than 50 hours a week. As for the cleaning and cooking and stuff, I don't know how to factor that in, but if I had to its probably another 10 to 15 hours a week.
SimpleMom 05:37 AM 07-25-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I thought we couldn't count are time driving places (only mileage) and I thought we couldn't count time spent outside the home where daycare is provided on things like shopping. Is this just a general question or a tax related question? LOL

You can track mileage and hours spent outside of open hours if daycare related.
SilverSabre25 06:16 AM 07-25-2011
Goodness, I don't even know, it varies so much. Technically I'm open 7 AM to 6 PM. One dcb (my early one) sometimes has to come at 6 AM, sometimes doesn't come at all certain days (mom works retail). My two other dcks come between 9:30 and 10AM; one leave by 4:30 every day, the other is usually here until 6:30, but only comes three days a week and sometimes doesn't come. The first dck is here on Saturdays, as well.

Yah, it's complicated.Max hours per week is about 60, I think.
JaydensMommy 06:52 AM 07-25-2011
I work 6am-6pm. Well it's supposed to be 6am but here I am still waiting for the kids to arrive...
boysx5 08:44 AM 07-25-2011
I around 60 hours a week 50 of kids being here and about ten getting things ready for the day and after
SandeeAR 08:54 AM 07-25-2011
60 total. 50 with kids, 10 doing the daily pick up, taking out diapers, weekends doing bedding, deep clean of high chairs, toys etc.
daycare 09:06 AM 07-25-2011
Im open 56 hours her week for DC and put in during the school time (Sept -June) an additional 15-20hrs a week with my curriculum. Maybe only about 5-10 during the summer time.
dEHmom 06:19 AM 07-26-2011
On a regular day it's 10.25 hours a day, and occassionally 11 hours a day with kids in care. so about 52.25 to 55 hrs a week actual care hours.

there's about 1/2 hour prior to dropoffs that i spend tidying up what i didn't do before bed. that's 2.5 hours a week.

then after the kids leave i have about an hour that i spread out in the evenings (little bits here and there) doing cleanups and reorganizing bins etc. that's 5 hours a week approx.

then on the weekends (and some evenings) I would say approx. 3 extra hours daycare related to clean up the yard toys and cut the grass, do laundry (rags, washcloths, bedding, extra clothes etc).

so in total about 65.5 hours a week on daycare. If we are doing a home improvement or something like flooring, or painting etc, I probably wouldn't consider that daycare hours because it's more for my family and home than it is for daycare. But certain things I might factor the cost into the daycare because flooring is for the kids to crawl on and sleep on, so we ripped out awful disgusting carpet because I didn't want any daycare kids crawling, laying, or playing on it.
GotKids 06:56 AM 07-26-2011
I am open 6-6 m-f and I watch one on Sat from 6-5. I usually spend about 3-4 hours more a week with book keeping, lesson planning, washing and inspecting toys, reorganizing our mess after the day ends, and an additional hour for the shopping I do for their food. So roughly 75 hours give or take.
MarinaVanessa 07:00 AM 07-26-2011
Originally Posted by SimpleMom:
You can track mileage and hours spent outside of open hours if daycare related.
You can only track mileage but not time spent out of DC even if it's DC related. The only time that you can track is time spent in your home doing DC related things .

That being said I do 60 hours a week with children in care and another 8-10 hours doing DC business with no kids in my home. If you added all of the time that I spend grocery shopping, training etc then that would be anothr 1-2 hours a week. I prefer (but don't always) to do most of the paperwork, prep, organizing, cleaning etc. during non DC hours (an hour or 2 after DC closes and on weekends sometimes) and have a higher space % so that I can deduct a higher % of my shared purchases.

** oops I meant to have a higher time %
Meyou 07:08 AM 07-26-2011
50 hours a week with the kids and 3-4 outside of work hours for a bit of cleaning and weekly grocery shopping. I do most of my cleaning, prep work and paperwork at naptime.
GretasLittleFriends 09:45 AM 07-26-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
You can only track mileage but not time spent out of DC even if it's DC related. The only time that you can track is time spent in your home doing DC related things .

That being said I do 60 hours a week with children in care and another 8-10 hours doing DC business with no kids in my home. If you added all of the time that I spend grocery shopping, training etc then that would be anothr 1-2 hours a week. I prefer (but don't always) to do most of the paperwork, prep, organizing, cleaning etc. during non DC hours (an hour or 2 after DC closes and on weekends sometimes) and have a higher space % so that I can deduct a higher % of my shared purchases.
What about cont ed classes required by dc licensure? My accountant said these hours count. As well as mileage to/from and also the cost of the classes.

Now I don't count time shopping... I don't buy separate groceries for daycare. I couldn't imagine counting up the hours I've spent garage sale-ing as I more often than not come home with something for the dckids. I do keep track of what I bought and how much it was though.

I work on average 60 to 70 hours a week with kids present. I often do paperwork, clean-up, and those duties while kids are here. I often have children who stay until 10:30p, and bed time is 8p, so that gives me 2.5 hours to do those things after kiddos are in bed. I'll usually spend 2 to 4 hours on weekends without kids here doing daycare stuff that didn't get done during the week. So I guess I average 75 hours total.
MarinaVanessa 03:34 PM 07-26-2011
What about cont ed classes required by dc licensure? My accountant said these hours count.

As far as I know, the only time that you can count is the time that you spend in your home doing DC related things like cleaning, preparing, planning, watching kids etc. I'm not sure that the time you spend in classes required by licensing are any different, I'll have to recheck that, I know I wasn't able to claim the time that I was at my licensing orientation which is required, only the mileage.

As well as mileage to/from and also the cost of the classes.

Now I don't count time shopping... I don't buy separate groceries for daycare. I couldn't imagine counting up the hours I've spent garage sale-ing as I more often than not come home with something for the dckids. I do keep track of what I bought and how much it was though.

Time spent shopping even when DC related can't be counted, only the mileage to and from the trips and of course the amount that is spent on DC related things (DC only things are 100% deductible, items shared by DC and your family like toilet paper, cleaning supplies etc are partially deductible based on your time/space %).
littlemissmuffet 08:56 AM 07-28-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
About 55 hours of kids in the house and about five hours a week of non kid hours. So about sixty total.
Same here.
squareone 11:57 AM 07-28-2011
55 hours of actual daycare and about 6 hours of related work like laundry, shopping, meal planning, curriculum planning, paperwork, etc.
Tags:hours, hours of operation
Reply Up