Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>advice on reniged registration hold
Unregistered 03:56 PM 08-12-2015
Hello,
Need some advice here. First time parents - looking at local daycare for an infant. We were communicating with a director of a Christian daycare connected to a conservative church. We were invited to tour....and in thr tour we liked what we were seeing. We asked the person helping with our tour if we could make a hold deposit for April 2016 - 8 months away. The person giving us the tour was a different person (director out on vacation) said they would have an opening and accepted our $35 deposit - gave us a recipt stating "Recipt for infant room registration April 2016". Paid by check. Verbal confirmation at the time of payment that we have a spot reserved - presumably this is the second in command.

I proceed to email the Director asking for the parent handbook. 3 weeks goes by....no response. I call 3 wks later and the Director answers. She explains her daughter had to have a surgery - which is why she hasn't gotten back. Then proceeds to say that they've not cashed the check - and she can't confirm they will hold a spot for April 2016. She says lots of places don't reserve this far...and instead suggests that we can pay 600 (full price daycare monthly cost) a month now - April 2016 is only way to hold spot... (ridiculous suggestion). Or instead she will list us on the waitlist and we can call back January 2016 and at that time they will confirm whether or not to accept us at that time. I ask what of the $35? -Answer was she will hold check in a safe...doesn't want to cash if cant confirm a hold/reserve.

What do you think? Was this exchange of a verbal contact and receipt a binding hold for daycare? What should I do? Part of me is concerned by this poor misscommunication of their staff and also signs of bad management. No bad reviews about this daycare...and we really liked it. Any thoughts? Don't wanna piss them off but at the same time this feels to be a renig and unfair.
Heidi 04:40 PM 08-12-2015
Honestly, that is a long time to hold a spot open with $35. If you changed your mind, you'd walk away, give up your $35 in a heartbeat, and they'd be without that income for 8-9 months. That's not really reasonable, do you think? The assistant probably thought that it was ok, but the owner/director knew better.

I understand your wanting to nail down a care arrangement, but it is a long way off. I don't know any business that can just say "ok, well, we'll just do with less for that 8 months". They are not a charity, even if they are tied to a church.

I'd keep my deposit there, in your shoes, but also look at other places over the next few months. Once things are closer (like January), you should be able to get a better commitment from them or someone else.

I've never charged tuition while someone is waiting, but I do ask them to pay two-weeks deposit, and that's non-refundable. So, if they change their mind, at least I get something. I've never been asked to hold a spot for 8 months though...I couldn't, to be honest.
Unregistered 04:56 PM 08-12-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Honestly, that is a long time to hold a spot open with $35. If you changed your mind, you'd walk away, give up your $35 in a heartbeat, and they'd be without that income for 8-9 months. That's not really reasonable, do you think? The assistant probably thought that it was ok, but the owner/director knew better.

I understand your wanting to nail down a care arrangement, but it is a long way off. I don't know any business that can just say "ok, well, we'll just do with less for that 8 months". They are not a charity, even if they are tied to a church.

I'd keep my deposit there, in your shoes, but also look at other places over the next few months. Once things are closer (like January), you should be able to get a better commitment from them or someone else.

I've never charged tuition while someone is waiting, but I do ask them to pay two-weeks deposit, and that's non-refundable. So, if they change their mind, at least I get something. I've never been asked to hold a spot for 8 months though...I couldn't, to be honest.
-----------------------------
True. Well said! I understand $35 is not very much and understand human errors that way. Thanks for the advice.
I wish there was a middle ground with this place - I'd be open to paying a much higher hold fee, even non refundable. From my end of the table - if this is your #1 place....you have two extremes.....either leave it to chance, find alternatives....and get back in Jan. OR drop $4k+ to basically pay for non-existing care to hold a spot.
I understand the gamble they take at reserving a spot this early - someone could call in 2 months who is not on the radar and the Director stated they don't have an exact date for relocation out of infant care some 11 mo. some beyond a year.
After reading your post I'm less frustrated over the renig....just wish there was more of a middle ground.
Heidi 05:04 PM 08-12-2015
So, I don't know where you live, and I don't know how many places you've looked at. I see you say they're your #1 choice, but that may mean that the quality/reputation is so high, then you may have more competition.

On the other hand, there could be a number of really great daycare scenarios that you are missing out on while being focused on this particular situation.

Please check with your local Resource and Referral Agency, and check out a number of places. Centers and regulated family childcare. Maybe you'll find somewhere you like even better!
Unregistered 05:16 PM 08-12-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
So, I don't know where you live, and I don't know how many places you've looked at. I see you say they're your #1 choice, but that may mean that the quality/reputation is so high, then you may have more competition.

On the other hand, there could be a number of really great daycare scenarios that you are missing out on while being focused on this particular situation.

Please check with your local Resource and Referral Agency, and check out a number of places. Centers and regulated family childcare. Maybe you'll find somewhere you like even better!
-----------------
Thanks Heidi! As a first time parent - where do you look for good resources on other places? I joined Angies list today to try to find reviews (of no use unless im just not using it right). I know I'm no expert in this arena and am probably not approaching the search the right way

It's sort of a situation where you don't know....what you don't know so I would love to hear how an expert finds the best daycare solution? THANKS A MILLION!
Thriftylady 05:24 PM 08-12-2015
Google and see if you have a resource and referral agency. I have to say I wouldn't hold a spot for that long either. If I do hold a spot I do it for free up to the point that someone else wants the spot. Then I offer whoever is holding it to either pay for the spot or not and I won't promise a spot. I can't afford to be without income, so the one who pays gets the spot providing they are a good fit for my program.
Heidi 07:36 PM 08-12-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
-----------------
Thanks Heidi! As a first time parent - where do you look for good resources on other places? I joined Angies list today to try to find reviews (of no use unless im just not using it right). I know I'm no expert in this arena and am probably not approaching the search the right way

It's sort of a situation where you don't know....what you don't know so I would love to hear how an expert finds the best daycare solution? THANKS A MILLION!
If you'd be willing to tell us your general vicinity, someone here can probably point you in the right direction. You are also welcome to register and PM me, if you prefer.
littletots 08:27 AM 08-13-2015
Looking for commercial daycare or fcc home? National Association for Family Child Care website has search list for accredited fcc providers.
Blackcat31 09:48 AM 08-13-2015
The front page of this site has a search function for child cares in every state

https://www.daycare.com/
daycarediva 04:25 PM 08-13-2015
I find a quick google of 'daycare, city name, state' works well, too. I would also tour every available daycare. Ask around for references.

For me to reserve a space that far out and hold it without enrolling another child, I would either require full payment or pass on the family. Most places do at least a registration fee + 2 week deposit. I do for families reserving the space of a child leaving to enter kindergarten.
Reply Up