Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Shoes
sahm2three 08:55 AM 06-28-2011
What is it with parents picking shoes that are super hard to get on?!?! Do they not realize that I have 8 to 10 pairs of feet to put shoes on multiple times a day?!?! UGH!
seashell 09:02 AM 06-28-2011
Big complaint here too! I simply tell the kids not to take there shoes off.
doest always work, but it helps!
Country Kids 09:15 AM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by seashell:
Big complaint here too! I simply tell the kids not to take there shoes off.
doest always work, but it helps!
Do you have the children leave their shoes on all day? I actually have had two parents leave a childcare because the children were not allowed to take off their shoes. Both children wear velcro shoes so no problem there. The first question asked by both parents was "Are the children allowed to take their shoes off here?"
Meyou 09:30 AM 06-28-2011
My kids wore shoes all day when they were in a daycare center when I still worked outside the home. They only took them off for nap. I thought it was wierd.

I just ask for velcro or easy on and off shoes. If a parent gets a pair I particularly hate I ask them politely to steer away from that style for the next pair they get for dayhome use because they drive me bonkers putting them on 3 or 4 times a day. lol
countrymom 09:32 AM 06-28-2011
or they come in with tie shoes or canvas running shoes. canvas shoes because they are hard to slip on and well tie shoes are crazy.
Country Kids 09:42 AM 06-28-2011
The sad thing about velcro shoes are more and more kids don't know how to tie their shoe!!!! I have a 4th grade dcb that does not know how to tie shoes. If he has to wear tie shoes for sports or something his parents always tie them. I'm so wondering what will happen when he has pe and the teacher will have to tie his shoes!
PeanutsGalore 09:56 AM 06-28-2011
Intricate shoes...hair kabobs that are bright, shiny beacons practically screaming to the other toddlers--"pull me! pull me!", "cute" ruffled tights, overalls...and the list goes on. I think that as a parent, I want my kid to look cute and don't mind dealing with the irritating clothing. As a daycare provider, I want all the kids in my care in the easiest clothing possible!

Nobody wears shoes in my house. They get kicked off at the front door. If the outfits are too irritating for me to change them 5 times a day, I put them in a onesie for the day and back into cutesy-pants before they go home. Easier than arguing with the parents.
Kaddidle Care 10:06 AM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
My kids wore shoes all day when they were in a daycare center when I still worked outside the home. They only took them off for nap. I thought it was wierd.
I work in a center. Did you know that they are supposed to wear shoes even when sleeping in case of fire/emergency or fire drill.

Do you all do Fire Drills? One of ours is supposed to be during nap time. Oh joy!
Meeko 10:12 AM 06-28-2011
I have a no shoes rule. Carpets would be ruined and have to replaced every year if I allowed shoes on in the house!

It also applies to parents too. I got sick of construction worker dads stomping all over my carpets and leaving them filthy without so much as a care.

Don't even THINK of stepping off my entryway tile without taking your shoes off!
sahm2three 10:17 AM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Do you have the children leave their shoes on all day? I actually have had two parents leave a childcare because the children were not allowed to take off their shoes. Both children wear velcro shoes so no problem there. The first question asked by both parents was "Are the children allowed to take their shoes off here?"
We don't wear shoes in the house, so every time we go outside it is 8 kids who have hard shoes screaming at me because I am not fast enough getting their shoes on. I may request slip on shoes. Ugh.
PeanutsGalore 10:23 AM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
We don't wear shoes in the house, so every time we go outside it is 8 kids who have hard shoes screaming at me because I am not fast enough getting their shoes on. I may request slip on shoes. Ugh.
It's summertime, so maybe you could ask them all to bring sandals? That should be easier, no?
daysofelijah 10:24 AM 06-28-2011
No tie shoes here. I hate tie shoes when kids can't tie them. I like slip on shoes, but velcro is okay too. Even my two year olds put on their own shoes. One parent can't believe the things her 2yo can do here, put on/off her shoes, eat with a spoon, drink out of a cup, lol.

When I worked at a dc center kids had to leave shoes on at all times, even nap for emergency drills. Lights had to be on at all times too, even nap. Crazy rules.
SandeeAR 10:48 AM 06-28-2011
Mine are all under two, so no shoes. I take them off as soon as they show up. They still step on each other and shoes hurt! Bare feet stepping on a hand or foot don't hurt as much.
cheerfuldom 11:14 AM 06-28-2011
my daycare kids that can walk, wear shoes all day including naps but my daycare area is partially concrete, partially foam tiles. The entire house is slowly being covered in hardwood upstairs because carpet is just ridiculous with this much traffic.
sharlan 07:33 PM 06-28-2011
I prefer velcro shoes, easier for me to get them on in a hurry. My problem is my 4 yo can't stand shoes, though he is getting better. As soon as we get into the car, he yells "Free the piggies" and off come the shoes. Half the time, I don't bother with his shoes until we get wherever.
Hunni Bee 05:45 PM 06-29-2011
Honestly, if my kids could take off all their clothes at drop-off and run around in their underwear all day, I'd be happy as a clam. Belts, stiff jeans with buttons that are hard even for me to unbutton, heavy "urban" clothing that the kid can barely move under, tight pants on the girls..ugh But...Im at a center....

Under Fire Code, the kids have to keep their shoes on, even during nap...because a fire could break out at anytime and no one would have time to find and put on anyone's shoes. I get it, but it sucks.

I don't know if anyone is familiar with "Pastry" sneakers...but its a line of girls and women's sneakers that are really cutesy with rhinestones and girly colors and glitter, etc. They were really popular up till about a year ago. Anyway the strings were SUPER long, and some of them had two pairs of strings in each shoe. Nightmare.

Also, Timberland boots.
PeanutsGalore 05:54 PM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
...I don't know if anyone is familiar with "Pastry" sneakers...but its a line of girls and women's sneakers that are really cutesy with rhinestones and girly colors and glitter, etc. They were really popular up till about a year ago. Anyway the strings were SUPER long, and some of them had two pairs of strings in each shoe. Nightmare....
And probably a strangulation hazard, not to mention the stones were probably a choking hazard. Maybe they were recalled? I think a lot of girl's clothing should be recalled, as well as hair kabobs. Devilish choking hazards, those are.
mac60 03:47 AM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I have a no shoes rule. Carpets would be ruined and have to replaced every year if I allowed shoes on in the house!

It also applies to parents too. I got sick of construction worker dads stomping all over my carpets and leaving them filthy without so much as a care.

Don't even THINK of stepping off my entryway tile without taking your shoes off!
I so agree. I have a big area rug inside my front door for everyone to stand and wait on, take their shoes off etc. I don't want anyone stepping off that rug with their shoes.....But do they do it, yep, I have 2 moms that are bad about it even when there is snow or rain. They don't care. Just really makes me mad how disrespectful they can be. I have tried notes on the door and notes in a newsletter and they both think "It doesn't apply to me". Grr.
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 06-30-2011
I also have a no shoe rule for inside the house. I also have a shoe rule for outside that says all children must have running shoes (ties or velcro). I have 10-12 full timers and I can put shoes on, tie and be out the door inless than 10 minutes so no big deal..... As a matter of fact one of my 3 yr old dcb's told me the other day that I am the fastest tie-er (?) he has even saw!

I prefer the running style shoe for safety reasons.
MarinaVanessa 04:42 PM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
What is it with parents picking shoes that are super hard to get on?!?! Do they not realize that I have 8 to 10 pairs of feet to put shoes on multiple times a day?!?! UGH!
And this is why I have decided to dish out the moolah and buy shoes for the kids myself. When I first thought about this idea I thought "Nanny's crazy. Why would she do that?!" and now its more like "Oh. That's why"
nannyde 05:07 PM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
And this is why I have decided to dish out the moolah and buy shoes for the kids myself. When I first thought about this idea I thought "Nanny's crazy. Why would she do that?!" and now its more like "Oh. That's why"
Nanny is crazy

Everyone has their peeves in this job and my biggest one is CLOTHES.

I can't stand managing clothes. It annoys me.

I had this one family for three years. They purchased nice clothes for the kid and he was always very clean. The problem was that the clothes didn't fit. The pants were to long (folded up at the ankle), too tight on the kids thigh, too stiff of jeans, shoes that were WAY too big, coats that had velcro that failed.. and on and on.

I would have to redress the kid from the waist down every day. They would send him in shoes that were an INCH too big and stand at my door and tell me the worker at the shoe store measured him and said these were the right size and he walks just fine in them. Just saying those words was all it would take to send the kid in shoes that were huge. When I said the pants were too tight or too long they would say "oh they are easy to get up and the cuffs stay in". Just saying those words was all it took to bring him in pants that didn't fit.

Saying words didn't help on our walks when he would trip on sidewalk seams. Saying words didn't help when it took twice as long to change him because we had to shimmy him into the jeans. Saying words didn't help when we had to recuff his pants ten times a day.

With kids clothes it all comes down to words from the parent that the clothes are fine doesn't translate into fine when I'm the one paying for the extra time and dealing with the outcomes of it. It's just easier for me to have what I need here and switch them into what works for me.

When it comes to outerwear it REALLY helps to have everything on hand. Getting eight kids in full winter gear is very expensive. Having identical fitted high quality gear cuts down on the staff time SO much and also insures that every kid is FULLY protected from the cold. I don't even use what the parents send them in. I use my own stuff so it's easy and perfect every day. It's also cute to have them dress identical. We are quite a site on a cold Febuary morning.

Clothing is the bain of my daycare existance. Having what I need for all the kids no matter what is what keeps me sane. The group I have now is STELLAR with clothing. I don't use their outerwear for the winter because it's not easy for me.... not because it's not good stuff. The spring, summer, and fall the only thing I use are my shoes.
Sugar Magnolia 05:33 PM 06-30-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
or they come in with tie shoes or canvas running shoes. canvas shoes because they are hard to slip on and well tie shoes are crazy.
Funny: I LOVE Chuck Taylor Converse, All*Stars, you name it, if Converse makes it, I luv it! So its really all I wear at work. Well....the kids love my funky Chucks and started wearing them too! Ahhh! Chucks are soooo hard to get on and off little kids! So I think the kids bug their parents for cool Chucks like mine, so parents buy 'em and send them to school in chucks and let ME deal with it! LOL! So I own that shoe problem! I gripe about it, but once they're on I'm thinking...omg I love chucks on kids!!!!
Crazy8 08:11 PM 06-30-2011
for everyone who has the shoes off in the house policy.... do you have carpeting everywhere? I tried that for a while but I only have an area rug in the playroom and once they're off that they will slip on the floor without shoes. I keep shoes on them all day. I have one dcg who always takes hers off but she pulls her socks off too so she doesn't fall but bare feet on the floor/rug kind of weirds me out (I don't mind her doing it but I don't like the idea of everyone doing it either).
Tags:foot traffic, shoes, vent
Reply Up