Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>GoFundMe?
Unregistered 10:59 AM 08-27-2015
Has anyone used that , do think its a good idea just try to raise money to get my own place and start my own daycare.Right now I live with my mom and we both do the childcare, but looking to get my own place.
Nisaryn 11:14 AM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Has anyone used that , do think its a good idea just try to raise money to get my own place and start my own daycare.Right now I live with my mom and we both do the childcare, but looking to get my own place.
I used gofundme to start my daycare, I didn't get much but it was enough to buy the basics and pad my toy collection out...I got around $300. The rest came out of pocket. You just really have to KNOW a lot of people...mainly my family and friends donated.
Heidi 11:14 AM 08-27-2015
I think Go Fund Me is appropriate for people who have a sick child, serious illness, etc.

Personally, I think this trend of asking strangers for money is getting out of hand. A young man I know just started a Go-Fund-Me to pay for a trip to England. Umm....no. I love you, kiddo, but you're a own-a** man, and if you want to go to England, EARN it.

That's my opinion. Not trying to be mean, but if you have a dream of opening your own program, make it happen on your own. Get a second job for a while to save start up money, if you have to. But asking strangers for money is not appropriate, IMO.

You can do this!
Blackcat31 11:32 AM 08-27-2015
I think gofundme is another example of how society feels everyone else owes them something.

For those that have disabilities and sick kids or something similar, they should have fundraisers locally so that family and friends as well as the community in which the person lives can contribute but like Heidi said, this trend of asking complete strangers for money is really getting ridiculous....and the things being asked to be funded for is getting stranger and stranger.....

Part of the "American dream" is being able to accomplish your goals and not be held back by anything other than your own restraints. Part of that same dream is working really hard for that and not expecting others to foot the bill for it.

You mentioned wanting to raise funds to move out... I'm sorry but seriously? Get a job or a second job or third job until you have earned the funds to move out like most everyone else has to do.

Once you've figured out how to earn the amount of money/income you need to be financially secure/stable, then it's the time to consider becoming self-employed and opening your own business.

Opening your own business is hard. And expensive in a lot of ways....but with a lot hard work on YOUR part, a good savings plan and a good business sense it can be done.

I am in no way saying any of this to you personally as I don't know you or your situation. I am sharing my opinion of gofundme accounts and the notion that others should give money to those that want to take the easy way out verses having to do the hard work that real life actually requires.
racemom 11:32 AM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I think Go Fund Me is appropriate for people who have a sick child, serious illness, etc.

Personally, I think this trend of asking strangers for money is getting out of hand. A young man I know just started a Go-Fund-Me to pay for a trip to England. Umm....no. I love you, kiddo, but you're a own-a** man, and if you want to go to England, EARN it.

That's my opinion. Not trying to be mean, but if you have a dream of opening your own program, make it happen on your own. Get a second job for a while to save start up money, if you have to. But asking strangers for money is not appropriate, IMO.

You can do this!
This!!!
Snowmom 11:43 AM 08-27-2015
I don't get the "gofundme" phenomenon.
My parents and grandparents were hard workers and luckily that's passed down on me. I had three jobs for my entire 20's and two jobs for most of my 30's.
I almost feel lazy now only having one job in my 40's!
Silly Songs 11:46 AM 08-27-2015

You can do this!
Exactly !!!!!!
e.j. 11:49 AM 08-27-2015

You can do this!
I have to agree with this.
laundrymom 12:26 PM 08-27-2015
I agree with other posters. I feel that most go fund me people are trying to take the easy way out.
Hard work.
That's what it takes. Sometimes saving $5 a week.
That's what hubs and I did. We took 18 years but finally bought our forever home this July.
One dollar and dime at a time.
Although, I have contemplated starting a go fund account. And just being truthful.
"I'm lazy and want people to give me money. No reason. Just give me money."
Lol
Thriftylady 12:28 PM 08-27-2015
If you can't afford to move out of your mom's house and get your own place on your own, gofundme is not going to help you. In order to do a home daycare, you need to be able to afford to have your own place first. It can take time to get clients (a year later I still am nowhere close to full), and you can loose clients (and income) in a hot minute. You also don't want to put yourself in a place where you have a bad client and can't afford to get rid of them, nothing like being held hostage in your own home.
midaycare 01:02 PM 08-27-2015
I want to take a year off of working and take a trip around the world. Who wants to fund me?
Thriftylady 01:06 PM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I want to take a year off of working and take a trip around the world. Who wants to fund me?
That's going to be a big fund because the rest of us want to go with you.
Heidi 01:08 PM 08-27-2015
See, us "older" people all seem to be on the same page with this, but my 18 year old is kind of shocked that I'm so "judgy" about it. His words..."well, if people don't want to donate, they won't".

All 3 of my adult children have sort of an attitude about hard work. I guess they've confused "go live your dreams", which they've grown up hearing, with "go let someone else fund your dreams". No, honey, you actually have to WORK for it. Just because we say follow your passions, doesn't mean you get to forget all responsibilities for it. We just mean, you don't necessarily have to be a banker, lawyer, or whatever we want you to be. Go be an artist or the next American Idol...by all means...but yeah, you might have to wait tables until you make it.
midaycare 01:28 PM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
That's going to be a big fund because the rest of us want to go with you.
Wait ... Why don't you want to fund MY dreams instead of YOURS. I'm entitled.

I don't mean to rag on the OP. I was just brought up differently. And I'm not that old! But teens and young twenties today, wow! They think everything should just be handed to them.

Nothing feels as good as making your own way. As saying, "I did this. I worked for this. No matter what happens, no one can ever take that away from me." And the life experiences learned along the way ... Priceless.
Thriftylady 01:33 PM 08-27-2015
Wait ... Why don't you want to fund MY dreams instead of YOURS. I'm entitled.

I don't mean to rag on the OP. I was just brought up differently. And I'm not that old! But teens and young twenties today, wow! They think everything should just be handed to them.

Nothing feels as good as making your own way. As saying, "I did this. I worked for this. No matter what happens, no one can ever take that away from me." And the life experiences learned along the way ... Priceless.
Yeah I am with you on that. Even about other things than money. Like when I put the new hood and stuff on my van after hitting the deer. I did that, got it taken care of while hubby was out on the road. Nothing feels better than saying, hey I pulled that off!
childcaremom 01:50 PM 08-27-2015
If you can't afford to move out of your mom's house and get your own place on your own, gofundme is not going to help you. In order to do a home daycare, you need to be able to afford to have your own place first. It can take time to get clients (a year later I still am nowhere close to full), and you can loose clients (and income) in a hot minute. You also don't want to put yourself in a place where you have a bad client and can't afford to get rid of them, nothing like being held hostage in your own home.
Op, really good advice right here.
Jujube835 07:04 PM 08-28-2015
I'm young and I agree with most of the other posters. Gofundme is completely inappropriate for non-emergency situations. It's lazy and classless.

I know I'm being harsh, and that's not the intention, honestly. But in my opinion it's really awful to ask people for THEIR hard-earned money instead of working and making your own money. If it's your dream then WORK FOR IT.

And the mindset of "they just won't donate if they don't want to" is not the point! I don't want my children to believe that it's even remotely acceptable to ask others for money! I want them to have pride and value the money that they earn.
childcaremom 03:59 AM 08-29-2015
Originally Posted by Jujube835:
I'm young and I agree with most of the other posters. Gofundme is completely inappropriate for non-emergency situations. It's lazy and classless.

I know I'm being harsh, and that's not the intention, honestly. But in my opinion it's really awful to ask people for THEIR hard-earned money instead of working and making your own money. If it's your dream then WORK FOR IT.

And the mindset of "they just won't donate if they don't want to" is not the point! I don't want my children to believe that it's even remotely acceptable to ask others for money! I want them to have pride and value the money that they earn.

You will appreciate and value it more if you have to work for it!
Play Care 05:12 AM 08-29-2015

You can do this!

Play Care 05:21 AM 08-29-2015
Originally Posted by Jujube835:

Agreed.

Like it or not, how people view us can have a great impact on our lives. So if you're trying to "gofundme" for a trip to Europe, which can be viewed as lazy or selfish or whatever, this can come back to bite you later on. I don't think you should be so worried about what other will think that you never do anything, but I do think there is a healthy version of "what will everyone think" that seems to be vanishing. Everything's okay! Who cares what anyone thinks!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:51 AM 08-29-2015
Second job. If you are young and single there is no reason why you couldn't take on a second job and put all of that toward your future place. If you can put away $100- $150 a week in 6 months that would be $2400-$3600.

I have considered taking a seasonal Christmas job this year just to give me some extra money.

Dd moved into her own place this fall (1st time teacher) and she is looking for a second job (tutoring/ grading papers etc) to help ends meet. She would like to someday own a couch. But, that is a realistic goal for a first time apartment. Not the model ones they show but a table and a bed because that is what you have. She has no internet or cable or tv for that matter. She is just happy to be on her own in her own apartment (5 1/2 hours away too)

So my advise is save for that dream. And maybe in the beginning it is not an in home but you are working at a center etc for a consistent income.
Thriftylady 09:10 AM 08-29-2015
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
Second job. If you are young and single there is no reason why you couldn't take on a second job and put all of that toward your future place. If you can put away $100- $150 a week in 6 months that would be $2400-$3600.

I have considered taking a seasonal Christmas job this year just to give me some extra money.

Dd moved into her own place this fall (1st time teacher) and she is looking for a second job (tutoring/ grading papers etc) to help ends meet. She would like to someday own a couch. But, that is a realistic goal for a first time apartment. Not the model ones they show but a table and a bed because that is what you have. She has no internet or cable or tv for that matter. She is just happy to be on her own in her own apartment (5 1/2 hours away too)

So my advise is save for that dream. And maybe in the beginning it is not an in home but you are working at a center etc for a consistent income.
Tell your daughter to check out all the thrift and consignment stores in her area! Sometimes I find good furniture, have a sofa from goodwill in my home right now.
Nisaryn 02:55 PM 08-29-2015

You can do this!
While I agree, some people can't work to save the money...I became a provider b/c I couldn't go back to work because there were no affordable providers in my area. We live in CA and I'm probably the lowest cost provider in my area. Everyone else around here made it so I couldn't even afford the two weeks deposit in order to even attempt to find work. Plus, in my area at least, no one was able to really work around the hours I needed and wanted me to work evenings which I just couldn't do...with my husband being in the military he wasn't able to pick our kids up. Especially when he is deployed this makes finding care and being able to work decent hours even more difficult. So I made the gofundme account and targeted my friends and family. I considered it their early Christmas present! So if this is their case then I say why not? You either get some help or you don't. And I'm one of the "older" people as well...I'm 34.
Thriftylady 03:05 PM 08-29-2015
Originally Posted by Nisaryn:
While I agree, some people can't work to save the money...I became a provider b/c I couldn't go back to work because there were no affordable providers in my area. We live in CA and I'm probably the lowest cost provider in my area. Everyone else around here made it so I couldn't even afford the two weeks deposit in order to even attempt to find work. Plus, in my area at least, no one was able to really work around the hours I needed and wanted me to work evenings which I just couldn't do...with my husband being in the military he wasn't able to pick our kids up. Especially when he is deployed this makes finding care and being able to work decent hours even more difficult. So I made the gofundme account and targeted my friends and family. I considered it their early Christmas present! So if this is their case then I say why not? You either get some help or you don't. And I'm one of the "older" people as well...I'm 34.
I kind of see what you are saying with that. I am a lower cost provider here sort of, but we have a ton of SAHM's who will "babysit" and that to me is different than "childcare". But what I know of CA is that everything there is crazy expensive so I am guessing providers have to charge what I would consider "robbery" just to survive. I about died when I went to LA and a bottle of water was $5. Yeah think I will die of dehydration lol.
mommyneedsadayoff 08:15 PM 08-29-2015
I really like the gofund me service. I wish they had it when my mom was sick. A family member of a girl in my town raised $50k in like 3 days when she became seriously sick just a few months ago. It can be a very uesful tool to raise money. I don't see anything wrong with people asking others to help fund their dreams either. Kickstarter helps people raise money to start businesses and there are many places you can go to raise money for traveling and schooling, so I don't see it as any different. I have heard of famous people going through gofundme and just donating thousands of dollars anonymously. I think it is kind of cool and if you used it to raise money and it helped you, then good for you!
Bookworm 03:06 AM 08-30-2015
I've never been a fan of Gofundme. What made me 1000% against it was when Dylan Roof's (Charleston church shooter) sister set up a Gofundme page to recoup the money for her cancelled wedding and honeymoon.
Ariana 04:25 PM 08-30-2015
I don't see anything wrong with asking for money for anything! Some people will give it and others won't and what's the big deal? I think some people see money in terms of lack. You have to work hard, money doesn't grow on trees, you need to do things to deserve it like be sick. Some people like myself view money as abundant and flowing and I can give to you and also the sick. There is enough to go around! We have placed such a high value on money that we see people who ask for it as "less than". I don't think that is right. Money is just paper. You can give it if you want to or not...up to you.
Nisaryn 06:15 PM 08-30-2015
I kind of see what you are saying with that. I am a lower cost provider here sort of, but we have a ton of SAHM's who will "babysit" and that to me is different than "childcare". But what I know of CA is that everything there is crazy expensive so I am guessing providers have to charge what I would consider "robbery" just to survive. I about died when I went to LA and a bottle of water was $5. Yeah think I will die of dehydration lol.
Oh yeah, we cannot WAIT to get orders to leave CA! 2017 cannot come soon enough for us. The only provider who had an opening when I originally wanted to work outside the home wanted $600 down, she charged $300 a week or gave a discount of $1000 a month is you paid the 1st of every month...ummm, no thanks! That is nearly my husbands entire monthly paycheck! People have this illusion that military members make a crap ton of money...uh, nope.
midaycare 08:46 PM 08-30-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I don't see anything wrong with asking for money for anything! Some people will give it and others won't and what's the big deal? I think some people see money in terms of lack. You have to work hard, money doesn't grow on trees, you need to do things to deserve it like be sick. Some people like myself view money as abundant and flowing and I can give to you and also the sick. There is enough to go around! We have placed such a high value on money that we see people who ask for it as "less than". I don't think that is right. Money is just paper. You can give it if you want to or not...up to you.
This sounds to me (and I could be wrong here) like you are trying to use some of the new age self help books like "The Secret" and their ideas on abundance. I won't state my opinions on that, and whether or not you are following that idea, your comments seem to be.

The issue is the OP is already stating she doesn't have any money, and is merely asking for handouts, while not working towards getting any abundance herself. So...even if I did believe in the process of stating you have abundance and it will appear, you still have to actually work towards that goal.
Blackcat31 07:59 AM 08-31-2015
I agree that we place a high value on money but unfortunately it is the only form of tender accepted to pay for the things in life we all need/desire.

In order to earn that money, we work hard. Physically, emotionally and mentally. Sometimes going without something in order to gain something else/attain our dreams.

To simply state that money is just paper is belittling to the process in which we all work to earn it.

In my eyes when people seek to ask others to give without giving first themselves it negates the hard work I (and others) have put forth to earn that money and what it can be used for.

If someone else isn't willing to work hard and go without in order to earn bigger rewards/to complete their dreams, it's lazy and in my opinion rude.

I would probably have a different opinion if the gofundme accounts started out with "I have earned $500 of the needed $800 in order to go/do X, so please help me reach my goal"..... etc.....
Or if the person asking for handouts was required to match the funds given.

But it doesn't and instead the message I hear is "You worked hard to earn that dollar so please feel bad for the situation I am in and give it to me."
Blackcat31 08:06 AM 08-31-2015
Also curious.....how much of this paper have you given away to other this year?

You don't have to answer that, but I am genuinely curious if you actually give away the money you work hard for and if so, to who... do you have criteria as to who is worthy and who deserves it or do you just randomly hand it out here and there?

Do you provide child care for free? If your clients are simply paying you with paper, why charge them at all? Why not just provide services for free?

I understand where you are coming from with your statement about people placing such a high value on money and I am not trying to begrudge you the freedom of not being tied to monetary things or the stigma that society places on the amount of money people have/don't have but in an essence, you are doing that very thing by stating that its abundant and flowing when in reality it is not. If it is....I'd like to know how you are managing to pay for the items/services needed to live as well as operate a business day in and day out.
midaycare 08:31 AM 08-31-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree that we place a high value on money but unfortunately it is the only form of tender accepted to pay for the things in life we all need/desire.

In order to earn that money, we work hard. Physically, emotionally and mentally. Sometimes going without something in order to gain something else/attain our dreams.

To simply state that money is just paper is belittling to the process in which we all work to earn it.

In my eyes when people seek to ask others to give without giving first themselves it negates the hard work I (and others) have put forth to earn that money and what it can be used for.

If someone else isn't willing to work hard and go without in order to earn bigger rewards/to complete their dreams, it's lazy and in my opinion rude.

I would probably have a different opinion if the gofundme accounts started out with "I have earned $500 of the needed $800 in order to go/do X, so please help me reach my goal"..... etc.....
Or if the person asking for handouts was required to match the funds given.

But it doesn't and instead the message I hear is "You worked hard to earn that dollar so please feel bad for the situation I am in and give it to me."
Well said.
daycare 08:34 AM 08-31-2015
go fund me is just an online version of being a gypsy.

KiddieCahoots 10:36 AM 08-31-2015
Ladies, if I didn't know your ages, I'd swear you had been around the block a few times (yrs wise).
The way you are able to write down in depth and logical thoughts, blows me away.
Love the points being made!
Rockgirl 10:44 AM 08-31-2015
I'm a member of a fb group for buying/selling items locally. Lately people have been posting lots of gofundme requests. Some, I don't have an issue with...family needs help with traveling to cancer treatments, etc. But it is getting way out of hand. A college student asked for money to help buy textbooks. A young lady wanted help buying a car because hers broke down. Sorry, no. And it's not just a matter of me not wanting to donate to them. I think it's downright tacky to ask.

I wouldn't go into toys r us, and start asking people to buy toys and equipment for me to start up a daycare. How different is that, really?

I think part of the problem is that 'wants' have turned into 'needs'. Most of the things we have, we don't actually NEED--but we've convinced ourselves we do. People used to walk if they didn't have a car, live without a cell phone, etc.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:49 AM 08-31-2015
Tell your daughter to check out all the thrift and consignment stores in her area! Sometimes I find good furniture, have a sofa from goodwill in my home right now.

I am hoping bil and sil decide they need a new couch.. they live down the street.

LysesKids 10:58 AM 08-31-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I'm a member of a fb group for buying/selling items locally. Lately people have been posting lots of gofundme requests. Some, I don't have an issue with...family needs help with traveling to cancer treatments, etc. But it is getting way out of hand. A college student asked for money to help buy textbooks. A young lady wanted help buying a car because hers broke down. Sorry, no. And it's not just a matter of me not wanting to donate to them. I think it's downright tacky to ask.

I wouldn't go into toys r us, and start asking people to buy toys and equipment for me to start up a daycare. How different is that, really?

I think part of the problem is that 'wants' have turned into 'needs'. Most of the things we have, we don't actually NEED--but we've convinced ourselves we do. People used to walk if they didn't have a car, live without a cell phone, etc.
Oh believe me, I know this well... Both my older children started their own businesses with a lot of blood, sweat & tears, My SIL too. I've been self employed for 30 years (4 different businesses/careers). My dad showed me & my children the ethical way to start your own career so we all grew up knowing the downfalls, but we never begged for $$ to start up either - we all worked outside jobs & saved before we went out on our own. And just because you "build it", it doesn't mean they will be knocking on your door right away, so have 6 months savings put away just in case lol
Heidi 11:14 AM 08-31-2015
So, I've been thinking about this.

If someone were to ask for a LOAN to start a business, I'd see it differently. Many, many people over the years have needed start up loans. It's the gift part that bothers me.

My ex asked his grandparents for a loan for school when he was just out of high school. They lent him the money. 10 years later, he'd never made a single payment. When I found out about it, I MADE him start paying them. I pretty much forced him to write an apology and send a check for $25, promising to send at least that every month.

They sent the check back, along with the promissory note they'd originally written up, marked "paid in full". All they wanted, really, was the effort. It wasn't really about the money for them, it was about the principle.
Rockgirl 11:25 AM 08-31-2015
So, I've been thinking about this.

If someone were to ask for a LOAN to start a business, I'd see it differently. Many, many people over the years have needed start up loans. It's the gift part that bothers me.

My ex asked his grandparents for a loan for school when he was just out of high school. They lent him the money. 10 years later, he'd never made a single payment. When I found out about it, I MADE him start paying them. I pretty much forced him to write an apology and send a check for $25, promising to send at least that every month.

They sent the check back, along with the promissory note they'd originally written up, marked "paid in full". All they wanted, really, was the effort. It wasn't really about the money for them, it was about the principle.
I agree with this. And good for you for seeing that the effort was made!
Unregistered 08:17 PM 08-31-2015
Ok im the who posted this and I have read your comments. I didn't mean for it to sound like give me your money", thats not what I meant at all.I know I didnt provide much details I dont even really think I will ever make one.I just in general wanted opinions on those kind sites thank you everyone for that to why or why not.I do have money for my own place, waiting for right place to come along)I just wanted to let u no where I am living .I definitely work hard around the clock (im 24/7)no days off I take the kids everywhere, im always full when im at the limit as soon as some one leaves someone is ready to drop there kid off (im cheaper than most)i did have a second job at a daycare center i just dont really like the way they are ran or the way they treat kids , so i im pretty sure i work hard like everyone else doing childcare And I would hope that who ever does use those site offer something in exchange for those that donated I think that would make it fair.
Unregistered 08:25 PM 08-31-2015
And what I put looking to get my own place, I dont need or what money for that I was thinking of putting that on the site if I ever made one to get people in for when I get my place like a waiting list? Money donated maby to go towards there childcare fees like advanced payments.
midaycare 05:29 AM 09-01-2015
Ok im the who posted this and I have read your comments. I didn't mean for it to sound like give me your money", thats not what I meant at all.I know I didnt provide much details I dont even really think I will ever make one.I just in general wanted opinions on those kind sites thank you everyone for that to why or why not.I do have money for my own place, waiting for right place to come along)I just wanted to let u no where I am living .I definitely work hard around the clock (im 24/7)no days off I take the kids everywhere, im always full when im at the limit as soon as some one leaves someone is ready to drop there kid off (im cheaper than most)i did have a second job at a daycare center i just dont really like the way they are ran or the way they treat kids , so i im pretty sure i work hard like everyone else doing childcare And I would hope that who ever does use those site offer something in exchange for those that donated I think that would make it fair.
Did I misunderstand? Are you working for your mom? If you are working 24/7 in her home for her business, you are being taken advantage of. I can't fully understand the situation.

If you need to make extra money, I suggest waitressing. Depending on your location and the type of restaurant, there is a lot of money to be made working an extra 20-30 hours a week.
Heidi 07:42 AM 09-01-2015
Did I misunderstand? Are you working for your mom? If you are working 24/7 in her home for her business, you are being taken advantage of. I can't fully understand the situation.

If you need to make extra money, I suggest waitressing. Depending on your location and the type of restaurant, there is a lot of money to be made working an extra 20-30 hours a week.
Yes, I would say so!

Also, are you allowed to have children 24/7? Are you licensed?

Sorry to make assumptions, but there happens to be a 24/7 mom-and-daughter team in our area. They are very clearly running an illegal operation, and actually ADVERTISE that they don't "do tax time claiming". They naturally advertise based on "low rates". Well, yeah, when there's no limit on how many children you take, you can do it much cheaper per child.

OP, it sounds like maybe 24/7 care is wiping you out, and you're looking for something more professional and independent?
Unregistered 12:58 PM 09-01-2015
I dont work for my mom she has her kids she watchs and I have my kids I watch, I watch mine and hers when she works part time.. We are not license, but we are legal we do follow the law and only watch how many we are suppose to.I would like more kids, but have to wait when I get my own place the amout of kids to watch is very low here.where I live it is x amount of kids per house not per adult.since im cheaper than most thats why I watch kids longer hours.
Rockgirl 01:05 PM 09-01-2015
Just curious--honest question. If you stay full with a waiting list, why not go up a little on your rate, and start putting the extra aside for your own place?
Thriftylady 01:13 PM 09-01-2015
Just curious--honest question. If you stay full with a waiting list, why not go up a little on your rate, and start putting the extra aside for your own place?
This is you are having no issues staying full, you will likely still be full if you raise your rates.
Thriftylady 01:16 PM 09-01-2015

Having a DD who is taking college classes right now I wouldn't have an issue helping pay for textbooks for college if I was going to give money. But I would want to give it to the bookstore or wherever the books would be purchased if I didn't know the person. Luckily for us, DD's classes and books are paid for the next two years in our HS/college dual credit program. That is saving us a ton. Some of these books are several hundred dollars. she has to turn hers back in when she is done so they care resell them as used, but I have no problems with that either.
Unregistered 08:46 AM 09-02-2015
When it's for medical bills etc. I would only donate to the facility itself. I've seen too many take advantage, and profit so there needs to be changes or more monitoring.

Gofundme and the like should only be for emergencies, medical, disasters, etc. We had one lady we knew who was on there 2 years in a row, 2nd year she complained her kids couldn't go to sports camp, and amazingly she got 9k. Funny after that I saw her road trip to the pacific coast on FB...not a bright move.

A baby passed in N.Y. due to SIDS and they raised almost 70k...tragic but I am skeptical that the medical bills came to that.

You choose to have a family, sorry you should be footing that bill unless major medical complications occur. Imo it's gotten out of hand.
Rockgirl 08:54 AM 09-02-2015
When it's for medical bills etc. I would only donate to the facility itself. I've seen too many take advantage, and profit so there needs to be changes or more monitoring.

Gofundme and the like should only be for emergencies, medical, disasters, etc. We had one lady we knew who was on there 2 years in a row, 2nd year she complained her kids couldn't go to sports camp, and amazingly she got 9k. Funny after that I saw her road trip to the pacific coast on FB...not a bright move.

A baby passed in N.Y. due to SIDS and they raised almost 70k...tragic but I am skeptical that the medical bills came to that.

You choose to have a family, sorry you should be footing that bill unless major medical complications occur. Imo it's gotten out of hand.
I agree that is has gotten way out of hand. In the fb group I mentioned, posters were responding to the college student wanting textbook money, "Get a student loan like the rest of us!"

When we were young with small children, we sold some things we'd have preferred to hold onto, like dh's bass guitar and amp. Also a cd collection we loved. It's just life.
Tags:funding, gofundme.com, loans
Reply Up