Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I don't want to be mean but...
lilbiddapopcorn 05:27 PM 08-16-2008
I require parents to pre-pay the Friday before the following week of care. Recently i've had people come in with all kinds of stories about why they can't, but still wanting care. For instance, I have one woman who came to see our facility, read my contract that CLEARLY states the pre-pay policy, and said that was fine. Later, when she said her daughter needed to start the next day, and I told her what her amount would be, she started crying. Awkward... She said she'd just started this new job and she hadn't been paid yet, so she couldn't pre pay. So I said she could write me a post dated check and I would cash it on her payday. She then tells me she doesn't have a checking account. I don't want to be mean to this woman, or anyone else for that matter, but I want to be firm and let them know this is how I run my business. Does anyone have any experience here? How do you politely but firmly turn someone away?
Unregistered 11:52 AM 08-17-2008
I haven't had the same problem cause i don't require them to pay me in advance, i have them pay weekly on friday so yes i get tons of excuses. And i just let them know that its OK you can pay me on Monday but i will have to charge you the late fees. I just have to let them know that this is your business and if you do it for her then you have to do it for everyone. And believe me once you tick them off just be prepared....I just had a parent call CPS on me(after i kept her child for a year and a half), just because when she gave me her two week notice i let her know that her two week fee was due upon the two week notice. and she got angry. well CPS didn't find anything and i got rave reviews from my parents now. I personally think that when the parents make false claims to CPS that they should have to pay a fine or something!!! I guess my point is...stick to your guns, its my experience that usually when you have a "problem" in the begining...A. they will always be a problem and B. they usually don't go away peaceful!
lilbiddapopcorn 04:09 PM 08-18-2008
See that's just scary! The thought of someone calling CPS over something ridiculous is just terrifying to me because I have my own children to worry about. I agree about the fine thing, it should be the same as if someone made a false police report! It's still the taxpayers money, and it's still costing the time of someone who should be doing his/her job where it's needed.
Unregistered 05:36 AM 08-19-2008
It is very scary! But as soon as the CPS worker came into my house and saw how the children interact with me, she knew right away that it was just a big waste of her time. Your so right it does waste your time, CPS time and taxpayer dollars. And people wonder why we have such a CPS problem........ I'm sure that they get alot of "just out of spite" calls but it really ruins it for the children that really need this service! i have nothing to hide so bring it on.
pingaa3 05:37 PM 08-27-2008
You need to be tough with the parent. Remember that most parents start out great: following the rules, paying on time, letting you know about sickness etc and with time things might get lax. You DO NOT want a parent who starts out not paying... it totally sets the tone for the rest of the relationship. Would you keep going to work if on payday your boss said, " Gee we just can't work your paycheck into the budget this time... you'll have to wait until next time...."???
daycaremom1998 04:44 PM 09-03-2008
Hi Lilbiddapopcorn,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having this problem. It is my advice that you stick to your guns. If she is starting off not paying, it will just continue, and if you give her a break now, she will expect it again. Don't open that can of worms.
EmmaNichole88 05:44 PM 09-30-2008
Originally Posted by daycaremom1998:
Hi Lilbiddapopcorn,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having this problem. It is my advice that you stick to your guns. If she is starting off not paying, it will just continue, and if you give her a break now, she will expect it again. Don't open that can of worms.
I totally agree. If this woman is having that much of a problem paying its going to cause you real problems. My advice is sit her down and nicely explain to her that you are not a charity and that you have to support yourself/family and also inform her that the state will help with childcare if her financial problems are really that bad.
Unregistered 09:47 PM 10-03-2008
Well it solely depends on you the way you see business and handle it. T o my own understanding people like giving excuses especially to financial matters.
tell her to know what to do, to get her expectation met or else she is not worth what she is expecting. It really depends on her because your business policy has been stated before her arrival, so not because of her was it written.
Unregistered 05:03 PM 10-23-2008
Originally Posted by lilbiddapopcorn:
I require parents to pre-pay the Friday before the following week of care. Recently i've had people come in with all kinds of stories about why they can't, but still wanting care. For instance, I have one woman who came to see our facility, read my contract that CLEARLY states the pre-pay policy, and said that was fine. Later, when she said her daughter needed to start the next day, and I told her what her amount would be, she started crying. Awkward... She said she'd just started this new job and she hadn't been paid yet, so she couldn't pre pay. So I said she could write me a post dated check and I would cash it on her payday. She then tells me she doesn't have a checking account. I don't want to be mean to this woman, or anyone else for that matter, but I want to be firm and let them know this is how I run my business. Does anyone have any experience here? How do you politely but firmly turn someone away?

That is ridiculous. I would let her go if I were you. it is too much of a liability
uno 11:11 AM 10-25-2008
I have as of yet to get my license for daycare, but I have worked/subbed for a lady that is licensed. She had an experience similar to yours and she brought it to my attention. I told her, think of it like this; what if you were running a dry goods store or any store (even selling avon), for that matter and a customer came in stating " I really need some milk, eggs and bread, but I can't pay you for them right now, so just go ahead and give them to me!" I asked her what would you do in that situation? She told me, "I would not give it to them because I would be losing money and this is my business and livelihood."
I told her, same thing applies. Just because your services/goods are not "tangible" so to speak, does not mean you should lose out on your profits.
I was there when the "client who had issues" came on payday and she
(child care provider) used the same scenario with the client. You should have seen the "lightbulb" go off when the client realized her child care provider is actually "running" a business for profit
p.s. and she NEVER accepts personal checks, money orders or cashiers checks only. checks causes too many problems.
TTOTS 12:46 PM 10-26-2008
I have the parents pay me on Monday for the upcoming week. If they don't have money in hand Monday morning then the child doesn't stay.
momof3 11:58 AM 12-03-2008
My contract states payment is due on the Monday of the week of care. This means I get pre-paid also. If I do not have the money by Tuesday a.m. then they incur a $10.00 a day late fee. I make my contract very stern, but in reality, it is hard to charge the late fee when the parents just claim "oh, I forgot my checkbook". I have only one family who does this on a regular basis, and it stinks that I have to actually ask them for the money. This week, they were absent on Monday due to illness, and on Tuesday as the mom dropped off, I casually say " oh, is the check in the bag?" Of course it wasn't, so she had to bring it during pick-up.
Unregistered 09:59 AM 12-19-2008

In my state most providers require payments (weekly, monthly) in advance. I require a full monthly payment in advance (on or before the 1st - if it lands on a time I will be closed or child will be gone, it is due before). When I accept checks, I cash checks at the parents bank, so I don't get NSF charges and I will find out that day if there are no funds. If they are late, it is $10 for each day(no more than 5 days, since a parent can just pretend they are going to pay late with late fees and use that time to find other daycare to skip out). I know some providers that turn parents away at the door, if they don't pay when due or if they don't bring their new daycare assistance contract/authorization.
I used to have a $100 deposit, so parents wouldn't skip out (because they don't want to lose the deposit), I also had the deposit in case of damage. I since have returned all deposits and now wish I had kept them. Just b/c a provider requires 2 week notice, doesn't mean a parent will give it. If a parent just never returns on the 1st, you lose money for that spot until you fill it.
Tags:paying in advance
Reply Up