Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Should I Suggest A Doctor Visit
LittleD 04:14 PM 12-05-2011
I have 2 babies 18-24 mths. They've both had runny noses for 3-4 weeks now. The younger one is better now, but the older one is still having issues. It's been about 2 weeks now, it IS less runny, but it's been yellow/green for the last 2 weeks. He still has somewhat of a cough too. And it's weird because one minute his nose his fine, the next he's got green sticky boogers clogging his nose, out of no where!
Do you think he should be seen by a doctor? Let me also add he's been cranky lately as well, normally really happy all the time.
I hate suggesting parents to bring their kids to the doctors, I don't want them to think I am criticizing them.
Unregistered 05:12 PM 12-05-2011
when this happens, I usually tell the parents that it seems like little johnny is not feeling well. I have noticed that he has had nasal discharge for several weeks and his behavior has been different, leading me to think that something is not right. It could be that his body needs help fighting off an infection and may need the aid of antibiotics.

Should this continue until Friday, I will need for you to have him seen by his doctor. Please understand that he really needs to be able to fully function while he is here.

DCP
busymommy0420 05:25 PM 12-05-2011
I had friend (age 2) who had a diaper rash for weeks. Her Mom gave me powder and diaper cream but it wouldn't clear up. I finally said to the Mom that it was most likely yeast and would need a prescription cream like nystatin. I suggested she go to the DR. She did and sure enough she was prescribed nystatin and the rash cleared right up. The Mom thanked me and knows I am looking out for the child's best interest.
bice99 08:27 PM 12-05-2011
It is a fine line, but I tread it often. New mommies can either appreciate the experienced help or be annoyed. Whatever they choose. I've only had one mommy not appreciate it b/c 99% of the time, I'm right. I've diagnosed ear infections, sore throats, yeast diaper rash, pink eye, roseola, sinus infections and just this week, influenza A (over the phone no less). My illness policy lists colored nasal discharge as an exclusion. I also explain to parents that if a cold turns into a long lasting clear runny nose, it can be a sign of a sinus infection. Last time I did that, I was right. So I always bring it up because I want the kid to feel better.
Meyou 04:54 AM 12-06-2011
I mention it if they go more than a couple of days with no improvement. Sometimes parents just need another set of eyes to see the symptoms.
Ariana 06:10 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
when this happens, I usually tell the parents that it seems like little johnny is not feeling well. I have noticed that he has had nasal discharge for several weeks and his behavior has been different, leading me to think that something is not right. It could be that his body needs help fighting off an infection and may need the aid of antibiotics.

Should this continue until Friday, I will need for you to have him seen by his doctor. Please understand that he really needs to be able to fully function while he is here.

DCP
This is how I would handle it as well. I think behavior is the biggest clue to a kid not being 100% healthy.
Tags:allergies, doctor, documentation, illness policy, illness policy - samples, sickness
Reply Up