Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Major Burn Out
mrs.meg 09:38 AM 05-02-2011
Hello Everyone,

I haven't been on this site for a while. I am currently going to school part-time and between that and my own children and the kids I watch, I am short on time, but I had to post because I needed a place to vent and wondered if any of you have gone through this.

Any suggestions for being completely burned out? For the past few months I feel that I absolutely do not want to watch other people's children another day. My family took a vacation a few weeks ago and I thought that would help, but it made it worse, I just dreaded coming back home and getting into the grind. I keep thinking this will pass, but it is just getting worse as we ease toward summer, when I will have my AS kids here 50 hours/weekly.

I really think it may be time for a change, but my hubby isn't listening at this point and feels I just need to treat it like a job, just suck it up and get over it. Easier said than done. I am dealing with kids and I just think that it isn't that easy.
SandeeAR 09:57 AM 05-02-2011
Tell him to take two vacation days and stay home in your place. Then see if he still says to, suck it up

Sounds like maybe it is time for a job change. However in todays economy, check things out before stopping your daycare. Jobs are hard to find now adays.

Well, except at my husbands Murphy gas station. He has been looking for an assistant for 11 months, but that is another story!
cheerfuldom 09:57 AM 05-02-2011
Do you have to continue doing daycare? If not, some major changes could be in order. Its not fair for your husband to tell you to suck it up. If you are really this unhappy and there is some wiggle room to at least take a break temporarily, then you need to do it for your own sanity. Life is too short to be miserable every day and if your husband can't see that then just change whatever you need to and tell him to suck it up. Sorry if thats harsh but we just went through this like this winter. My husband is a good person but not capable of seeing that our current situation was really just sucking the life out of me. It was so awful and I finally stopped waiting around to be rescued and just made the changes myself. He got on board and now we are all much happier. Make the changes and get your life back!
morgan24 10:02 AM 05-02-2011
I understand exactly how you feel. Can you cut back on kids? That helped me right now I only have two and it has helped me regain some of my life back. The hours are also really good they both come at 7:30 and the first leaves at 2:30 and the next one at 3:30. My daycare space in a walkout basement so it helps to just close the door at the end of the day. Not working so many hours has helped. It's hard to suck it up and get over it when your job is always around you and you can't really leave it.
BusyBee 12:09 PM 05-02-2011
I hear ya! I have a countdown timer app that counts down the number of days that I have left.

I know that makes me sound horrible, but it gets me through. I almost cried this morning knowing that the weekend was over and the kids would be here soon. And I have great kids--I can't imagine if they weren't!

I am just bored out of my mind and need to make some changes. I currently do a very loose curriculum. I am going to start doing what another member does--a different piece each day. Music one day, art another, etc. I think that will help me plan better and hopefully I can have some more fun with it.
mrs.meg 02:48 PM 05-02-2011
Thanks for the suggestions and replies, it helps to vent to others that actually have a clue how it feels to watch kids.

My old boss may have a job opening coming up, so I really think I will call her and see what she says. I don't like going behind his back, but he keeps ignoring my cries for help, so I am going to have to do something. I may just need to cut back on kids, but to be honest, I only keep one 3 year old boy 5 days a week (plus my own 2&4), another 4 year old boy all day Friday, but I have 3 that come every day after school. I feel that I never get a break. With summer coming on, it seems there is no end in site because then I will have 4 kids plus my own 4 little ones. My 16 year old can help and I could pay her, but I just wish I could get some time off. It is really really stressful right now.
nannyde 02:53 PM 05-02-2011
Originally Posted by mrs.meg:
Thanks for the suggestions and replies, it helps to vent to others that actually have a clue how it feels to watch kids.

My old boss may have a job opening coming up, so I really think I will call her and see what she says. I don't like going behind his back, but he keeps ignoring my cries for help, so I am going to have to do something. I may just need to cut back on kids, but to be honest, I only keep one 3 year old boy 5 days a week (plus my own 2&4), another 4 year old boy all day Friday, but I have 3 that come every day after school. I feel that I never get a break. With summer coming on, it seems there is no end in site because then I will have 4 kids plus my own 4 little ones. My 16 year old can help and I could pay her, but I just wish I could get some time off. It is really really stressful right now.
Can you dump the school agers? I would be in the depths of despair if I had three school aged kids coming full time a month from now. Even with a full time helper I could NEVER manage that.
daycare 03:10 PM 05-02-2011
I'm with nannyde.
No SA
I don't do SA but this weekend,my daughters best friends little sister age 8 came to spend the night with older sister due to a family emergency.
It was only Friday night til 10 sat morning and I wanted to pull my hair out. I don't know how you guys do it.

My 3&4 year olds behaved better than the 8 year old
Tags:burnt out, overwhelmed, stressed
Reply Up