Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I very rarely have nap issues...
taylorw1210 11:50 AM 08-27-2014
But this week has been awful!

A 1yo dcg re-enrolled this week. I had her from 6wks - 9mo, father got laid off and now her and her sibling have returned. She just turned 1 last month. When she left, she was happily laying down on her own for 2 naps a day. Every single day this week she has spent at least 1 1/2 hours screaming prior to taking any nap - and when she finally falls to sleep, it's for 20 minutes and then she's screaming again.

I go in and rub her back. I SHHH her. She's in her own separate room because there's no way any other child could sleep with her incessant screeching.

I talked with mom about the issue on Monday and she went through the list of what she believes gramma, dad, friend, etc. did while they cared for her during the time she was gone. All of which included her being rocked to sleep, or held while she slept.

I am no stranger to sleep training, but man this girl is something else! I'm afraid someone will walk by the house and hear her screeching from outside! And to make it worse, I am sleep training another newly enrolled 1 year old and he did well last week, but is now regressing because of dcg's screeching.

No advice needed - just sympathy, I suppose. I will definitely be ready for the 3 day weekend coming up!
Blackcat31 11:58 AM 08-27-2014
Originally Posted by taylorw1210:
But this week has been awful!

A 1yo dcg re-enrolled this week. I had her from 6wks - 9mo, father got laid off and now her and her sibling have returned. She just turned 1 last month. When she left, she was happily laying down on her own for 2 naps a day. Every single day this week she has spent at least 1 1/2 hours screaming prior to taking any nap - and when she finally falls to sleep, it's for 20 minutes and then she's screaming again.

I go in and rub her back. I SHHH her. She's in her own separate room because there's no way any other child could sleep with her incessant screeching.

I talked with mom about the issue on Monday and she went through the list of what she believes gramma, dad, friend, etc. did while they cared for her during the time she was gone. All of which included her being rocked to sleep, or held while she slept.

I am no stranger to sleep training, but man this girl is something else! I'm afraid someone will walk by the house and hear her screeching from outside! And to make it worse, I am sleep training another newly enrolled 1 year old and he did well last week, but is now regressing because of dcg's screeching.

No advice needed - just sympathy, I suppose. I will definitely be ready for the 3 day weekend coming up!
I'm in your camp today!! ALL of mine have been little buggars!

If it wasn't one of them it was two others....

But in their defense, we have ALOT going on here this week and I still have my soon to leave Kindy kids as school doesn't start until after labor day but all my teacher moms/dads went back to work so their kids are back on their full time schedules and I have three new kids starting so lots of gray areas or time when Miss C isn't on her game so therefore, lots of testing and pushing our boundaries going on this week.

(((hugs))) to you! Hope your week gets better!!!

Since it is Wednesday it IS all down hill from here!!
taylorw1210 12:16 PM 08-27-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'm in your camp today!! ALL of mine have been little buggars!

If it wasn't one of them it was two others....

But in their defense, we have ALOT going on here this week and I still have my soon to leave Kindy kids as school doesn't start until after labor day but all my teacher moms/dads went back to work so their kids are back on their full time schedules and I have three new kids starting so lots of gray areas or time when Miss C isn't on her game so therefore, lots of testing and pushing our boundaries going on this week.

(((hugs))) to you! Hope your week gets better!!!

Since it is Wednesday it IS all down hill from here!!
All downhill AND a 3 days weekend!

I hope things get better for you next week with your kiddos leaving for school.

I am ready for our schedule to settle down again. With all the kids transitioning in/out because it's the beginning of a new school year, it's been pretty crazy!
Kabob 12:25 PM 08-27-2014
Glad to know I'm not alone. I started a new 1 yo and suddenly everyone can't sleep. Currently playing the game of ring around the rosie...one child fusses and then as soon as they are quiet the next one is at it...come on Friday!
preschoolteacher 12:37 PM 08-27-2014
Oh my gosh, my 1-year-old is screaming RIGHT NOW!

I got one 20 minute nap and one 45-minute nap out of her today. Bleh.
AmyKidsCo 01:20 PM 08-27-2014
I feel your pain - 20-30 min naps are typical for one of my 1 yr olds and 45-50 min naps for the other. Of course at home on weekends they nap 3+ hours...
taylorw1210 07:01 AM 08-28-2014
I managed to get two 20 minute naps out of her in our 12-2 nap period - the rest of the time was spent wailing. Fingers crossed that things go a little better today.
Kabob 11:12 AM 08-28-2014
Originally Posted by taylorw1210:
I managed to get two 20 minute naps out of her in our 12-2 nap period - the rest of the time was spent wailing. Fingers crossed that things go a little better today.
It does get better! I have a room full of happy nappers today. Fingers crossed!
cheerfuldom 01:00 PM 08-28-2014
I would put her down 90 minutes before everyone else so she can get all that screaming out beforehand and then sleep while the others sleep. She will get back in the swing of things and you can start limiting the 90 minutes beforehand as she screams less and less. I would rather her be crying while we are playing and busy and not having to hear it than to scream all during nap and that cuts her nap short on the tail end. Assuming she is full time, I would imagine some major progress by two weeks from now.
Reply Up