Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT: Military Ideas Needed
kitkat 12:11 PM 08-29-2014
Our local Volunteer Center is trying to get a project going and we need some ideas. They are planning a sock collection for the military and are looking for a way to have kids personalize the socks. The only thing I can come up with is attaching a tootsie roll and a note saying something about keeping your tootsies warm and dry or just a note from kids.

Any ideas on other candy or notes to include with the socks? The Volunteer Center thought of including a small craft, but I'm not sure how practical that is.

I know we have some military families on the boards, so I would especially love to hear from you!
Unregistered 10:04 AM 09-04-2014
We liked to get messages that reminded us of what we were fighting for back home. I would ask the kids what they think a hero means and put that on the socks. Pick one or two words and put a handprint next to their words...pretty easy to do with fabric paint. I would also include something to hang the socks (not a lot of display room in tents, conexes or barracks...
Laurel 12:02 PM 09-04-2014
Originally Posted by kitkat:
Our local Volunteer Center is trying to get a project going and we need some ideas. They are planning a sock collection for the military and are looking for a way to have kids personalize the socks. The only thing I can come up with is attaching a tootsie roll and a note saying something about keeping your tootsies warm and dry or just a note from kids.

Any ideas on other candy or notes to include with the socks? The Volunteer Center thought of including a small craft, but I'm not sure how practical that is.

I know we have some military families on the boards, so I would especially love to hear from you!
I like the tootsie roll idea.

If it is okay with parents, I'd take a picture of the child holding their pair of socks. On the back of the picture I'd write "Bobby from Illinois is thinking about you." Then if Bobby was old enough he could sign it. If I were far away I'd like to think that someone thought about me with a personal touch.

Laurel
Reply Up