Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Do You Find Time To Exercise?
busymomof2 10:53 AM 12-07-2010
I was overweight before my last kid but now it's out of control. I can't seem to find time to exercise. I get up at 5am get ready, clean up, get ready for daycare kids (curriculum, crafts, etc) get my own kids dressed and eat. Then first kids arrives by 8 and doesn't leave till 6pm after which I clean, make dinner, get kids ready for bed then I'm exhausted by 8pm. When do you find time to exercise or take care of yourself?
Blackcat31 10:56 AM 12-07-2010
I try to do it with the kids.....we do afternoon music/dancing, or I do lots of leg lifts and butt crunches while I'm standing at my laptop doing this.... Sometimes, I can only find enough time to do a quick 20 mins on elliptical after work while I am cooking dinner or right afterwards. Otherwise, it seems like just getting up is exercise!! LOL!!
laundrymom 10:57 AM 12-07-2010
summer,.. camping,... =-)

Originally Posted by busymomof2:
I was overweight before my last kid but now it's out of control. I can't seem to find time to exercise. I get up at 5am get ready, clean up, get ready for daycare kids (curriculum, crafts, etc) get my own kids dressed and eat. Then first kids arrives by 8 and doesn't leave till 6pm after which I clean, make dinner, get kids ready for bed then I'm exhausted by 8pm. When do you find time to exercise or take care of yourself?

GretasLittleFriends 11:07 AM 12-07-2010
I have a children's workout video called "I am wonderfully made". It's from the late 80s early 90s so the fashion is great. My 4 yr old dcb and I do this each morning when he gets here. It's good for him and good for me. I actually have broken out a sweat with it too.
AnythingsPossible 11:18 AM 12-07-2010
Time, what's that!! I try to fit something in during nap time, but usually get involved reading posts on here!! Lately I have been trying to fit in a couple of 10 minute excercise's during the day. I google, 10 minute excercises and pick one that looks interesting while the kids are engaged in something, thought they usually end up trying to follow along too. Dancing with them is great. Running around the yard. Push ups and sit ups are easy to do while the kids are playing on the floor. I used to be very heavy, 285 and over the years have lost 130 pounds and kept it off for 4 years. I would like to lose a little more, but who wouldn't!! The good thing about working from home with kids, is they certainly have the energy to do whatever! Even marching around the house is entertaining to them!!
MyAngels 11:21 AM 12-07-2010
Sparkpeople.com has lots of free, quick exercise videos.
SunflowerMama 11:23 AM 12-07-2010
My husband gets home at 5p and that's when my last dcks leave so usually 3 days a week he'll stay with my girls and I'll run to the gym for 45 mins - hour (it's only a mile from my house) and then I'm home for dinner.

I pick up/clean the house throughout the day and at naptime. Once the kids are up it's either outside or doing something that's not crazy messy until pickup. So when my last one leaves the house is good to go. I just do a quick lysol spray in the bathroom, doorknobs, etc. and anything that didn't get cleaned during the day.

I usually either have something in the crockpot or my husband fixes dinner on those nights. It gives him some one-on-one time with our girls and it gives me a chance to run off any stress from the day. I always feel great when I get home. We eat as a family, have family time and then get the kids ready for bed. I then have my evenings free to relax with the husband and enjoy a glass of vino .

I also always make it a point to make it to the gym, at some point, both Sat. and Sun. for at least an hour each day.
DanceMom 11:45 AM 12-07-2010
Either Nap time or I MAKE myself for at least 20 minutes run on the treadmill after dinner...You can fit in 20 minutes. Do it RIGHT when the last dck leaves so your not SO exhausted yet..get it done before you start dinner..its better to exercise then eat anyways ( burns more of those calories your about to eat )
Jenjo 12:27 PM 12-07-2010
This is probably bad, but I let the kids watch a 30 minute show while I do a 20 minute exercise program on the computer from hulu or I do my elliptical. We all are in the same area so I can still see and hear them but they are distracted with their show. It isn't a lot of exercise but so much more than nothing. I also have a mommy and me sing and dance dvd that I do with the kids. Some of them just sit and watch though so I don't use it too much. We also dance around with music too.
MyAngels 01:23 PM 12-07-2010
For those of you who exercise during the day when the kids are there, do you shower when you are done? I would love to do something for 30-40 minutes during naptime, but I get all sweaty and would have to shower after, and I'm a little concerned that someone would stop by just at that time .
melskids 03:44 AM 12-08-2010
Originally Posted by WyoDaycareMom:
Time, what's that!! I try to fit something in during nap time, but usually get involved reading posts on here!! Lately I have been trying to fit in a couple of 10 minute excercise's during the day. I google, 10 minute excercises and pick one that looks interesting while the kids are engaged in something, thought they usually end up trying to follow along too. Dancing with them is great. Running around the yard. Push ups and sit ups are easy to do while the kids are playing on the floor. I used to be very heavy, 285 and over the years have lost 130 pounds and kept it off for 4 years. I would like to lose a little more, but who wouldn't!! The good thing about working from home with kids, is they certainly have the energy to do whatever! Even marching around the house is entertaining to them!!
WOW! congradulations!!!! i have to admit, i need to lose over 100 pounds as well, and just cant seem to find the motivation to lose the weight. which is sad, really. considering i am here all day with a house full of active little kids. i honestly dont have the time before or after DC hours to do it, so there HAS to be a way to incorporate it into my day. its just finding the get-up-and-go to do it. that, and needing to stop picking at everything they eat
nannyde 04:34 AM 12-08-2010
Getting 8 kids into full winter gear and going on a 45 minute hike is enough for me. The getting them into the gear and loading them in and out of the stroller is a big workout. The walk is the easy part.
Lilbutterflie 05:55 AM 12-08-2010
I have to admit, exercise is my nemesis. I have never been able to motivate myself to do actual workouts for longer than a week. BUT, I do take a lot of walks with the kids. And when they are out front riding bikes (I have older 2-4 yr olds), I'm right there with them riding on my roller blades. Sometimes I do races with them, too!
I recently lost 16 pounds (I am petite, so it was more than 10% of my body weight) doing Weight Watchers. I HIGHLY recommend it! You don't have to exercise to see results, just watch what you eat! Of course, you see better results if you do exercise, and you get more points each day, too. And it's not nearly as hard as I thought it was. I did it online, so no worrying about finding time for the meetings, either.
momofboys 06:05 AM 12-08-2010
My husband & I power walk to shows we have recorded on the DVR, usually 3-4 evenings a week we will just walk while we watch them. Other than that I have been trying to carve away about 20-25 min during naptime to do an exercise video (mostly the walk away the pounds ones). It's hard to fit it in but worth it, I have so much more energy when I make time for it.
MommyMuffin 06:23 AM 12-08-2010
Ugh! If I had the energy I would do it after dcks leave. When the weather is nice my husband and I love to walk around the block pushing the stroller. Not really strenuous but at least I get out I tell myself. Sometimes he will ride his bike with the back seat for baby and I will roller blade. I love to rollerblade...really good for your butt!
busymomof2 06:57 AM 12-08-2010
Thanks everyone for your advice. I took the kids for a 45 minute walk around the neighborhood. It was funny because the kids started off running than were so exhausted that they wanted to give up. We will be taking walks every day from now on and incorporating it into our daily schedule.
AnythingsPossible 08:00 AM 12-08-2010
I also did weight watchers to lose most of my weight, not always an active member, but utilizing the concepts for sure. I have never been a major excercise person, but try to fit small bits in where I can. I worry more about health now then weight loss. My father had MAJOR heart surgery last year at 66, and has had health problems since his mid forties, he was never overweight, just not real healthy. I don't want to follow in his footsteps, so I try to focus on the health benefits more then weight. If you ever have any questions or need advice or just someone to vent to who's been there, feel free to PM me and I will give you my email i was gonna put it on here but realized that may get me spam!!
Greenshadow 08:51 AM 12-08-2010
I have a Wii Fit Plus and I do it about 3x a week while the kids play and do it with me! They love to see all the exercises and will try them with me. We also take walks every few days around the neighborhood. I have two older sons who are both on the Swim team. They practice every single night, except weekends, at the YMCA. So Ive started going with them and doing laps. My 9 year old has practices on Wed and Fri for two hours. My high schooler has practices all 5 nights from 7:30 to 9:30. Because my 9 year old is under 14, I have to stay with him so I do laps while Im there!
tenderhearts 09:23 AM 12-08-2010
I go for a lot of walks with the kids (not in winter) and in evenings with my own kids and the dog. We ride bikes a lot as well. I also do exercises while I'm watching tv in the evening most nights.
Tags:exercise, staying in shape
Reply Up