Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing Due To Weather - Do They Pay?
SunflowerMama 11:36 AM 01-31-2011
So I'm in Texas so any little bit of yucky weather shuts the schools down typically. This time though they are calling for ice tonight and tomorrow and temperatures in the 20s until Friday.

My parents pay on Friday for the upcoming week. Since I'm not going anywhere I don't see the sense in closing except that I would hate for someone to be in an accident trying to make it to my house and would be afraid of losing power with the little ones here.

For those that do close for weather do you refund the parents or credit their next week? I can't afford to do that b/c it would be a huge chunk of my income if the weather is bad most of the week so I will probably just stay open but just wondering what everyone else does.

Thanks!
kendallina 11:39 AM 01-31-2011
I close my preschool when the schools close (even though they close for everything around here) and I credit the parents the amount for the day. It sucks. Next year I'm going to remain open and give the parents the choice and charge those that come and credit those that do not.
Stacy214 11:43 AM 01-31-2011
I don't close and it's up to them to make the call on bringing them ( I know I would feel terrible too) so the rate stays the same here... we can't control Good Ole Mother Nature Be safe!
jen 11:47 AM 01-31-2011
I don't close for weather!
Little People 11:51 AM 01-31-2011
We do get a few bad days here, but I stay open and charge rather there here or not.
SunflowerMama 11:58 AM 01-31-2011
So those that stay open you don't credit the ones that don't come?

I just sent a message to all my families reminding them that I will remain open this week and just let me know in the morning if they will not be bringing their children.

I give each family 10 days/year but ask for 2 weeks notice so I'm just going to wait and see how many ask if they can use one of their 10 days. I'm getting ready to stand my ground tomorrow.
WImom 12:07 PM 01-31-2011
I don't close for weather. I figure I can't go anywhere anyway.
DCMomOf3 12:14 PM 01-31-2011
I don't close and therefore do charge if they choose not to come.
safechner 12:16 PM 01-31-2011
I still charge them if they are here or not. I still open but it is up to the parents who wants to bring their child/ren here. Most of time they dont but I still charge them.
Pammie 12:29 PM 01-31-2011
Me too - If I'm open, payment is expected whether they're here or not.

I don't charge my clients when I close - so for extreme weather, I stay open. No one gets a credit if they decide not to show up for the day. I may just have one or two kiddos show up, but I'm getting paid for a full day
e.j. 01:13 PM 01-31-2011
Since I'm here anyway, I don't close for weather. I do still charge everyone whether they are here or not. I leave it up to the parents to decide if they want to bring their children for child care. Some parents still have to get to work regardless of the weather so I try to be available for them.
littlemissmuffet 01:19 PM 01-31-2011
1. IMHO, worrying about parents/kids getting in an accident on the way to your house should be the parent's call, not yours.

2. I have had to run my daycare with no power many, many times over the years... that's what candles and flashlights are for! Those times tend to be really fun for the kids too (i.e. telling ghost stories, chasing shadows, etc)

3. I live in Canada, I would NEVER in a million years close due to weather conditions because where I live in particular, we don't stop for anything weather related. Even if we did... I say, if I'm home anyways, why not take in the kids I would have otherwise.

4. If I did close for weather, I wouldn't charge the parents.

5. My parents are expected to pay their usual monthly fee even when their child is absent, no matter the situation... weather, illness, vacation, holidays, etc.
Sunny Day 02:21 PM 01-31-2011
I stay open--its up to the parent's discretion if they bring their kids or not, but they pay me either way. All of my daycare kids and my self live in town, so I don't get too many snow days even though I live in Canada and we have TERRIBLE winters!
JenNJ 02:51 PM 01-31-2011
I also stay open. I do not have a commute so the weather does not affect me or my business. I am open, so they pay if they choose to stay home. Last week I was open on Thursday and every family kept the kids home. I was still paid for the day because I was available if for some reason they needed me.

If I were to have a power outage, it would most likely be ok until closing time unless the temps were frigid. Even then, I have enough blankets to keep everyone warm and a basement that is underground and stays at 65 year round. Enough canned or ready to eat foods to keep everyone's bellies full. My only worry would be hand washing after diaper changes but, I have gloves and hand sanitizer in that case.
Live and Learn 02:58 PM 01-31-2011
If school is cancelled then I am closed.
One of the perks of working for teachers is snow days with MY OWN CHILDREN!
I don't charge if I am not open so I would credit them a day the next month.
I love snow days!

misol 04:12 PM 01-31-2011
I do not close for bad weather. Many parents still have to work regardless of weather (paramedics, policemen/women, people who plow the roads, etc.) so I remain open. My parents pay whether they attend or not. Whether the roads are safe or not is the parent's decision to make. If a parent doesn't have to work and risks life and limb to drop off their child JUST because I'm open or to get their money's worth, then the child is better off with me that day anyway. The only way I will close and offer a refund is if the Governor declares a state of emergency and no one is allowed on the roads.

BTW, I experienced my first blackout during daycare hours last week. We just used that time to practice our disaster drill. Road conditions were so HORRIBLE that my one family left work early at 3:30. It normally takes them an hour to get here and they didn't make it to my house until 9:30pm! Oh, and I close at 6:00!!!
SandeeAR 07:39 AM 02-01-2011
Arkansas, like Texas, shuts down for any amount of bad weather. I don't close. One of my parents is a nurse and if it's on her days, she has to go in. Sometimes her DH is off and keeps the kids.

All my parents still pay. Some of them get paid if their office closes, some don't.

The ONLY time my parents don't pay is if I close for my illness or my personal reasons or a Holiday that I am closed.
Unregistered 10:32 AM 02-03-2011
I follow local school closures and tell that to parents up front during interview. Everyone is fine with it. Well, until my neighbor moved in and had kids and feels if she can walk to my house then I should be open for her. She's even asked me when my reminder sign is up about listening for school closures, if I can keep her kids even though I'm closed. So, should I change my rules for this one parent? Especially after 20 years of having the same policy?
Tags:closed from snow, closing due to weather
Reply Up