Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>To Interview or Not to Interview--UPDATED IN OP
SilverSabre25 08:02 AM 05-30-2012
Situation:
This afternoon I have an interview for a 6 week old little girl. The current kids in my care are 4.5 years and 12 mos (both mine) and 4 years, 3.5 years, and 9.5 mos.

Pros:

1. I need more income and this spot NEEDS filled (or I need a different solution

2. babies sleep a lot

3. The family is willing to pay the high rate I quoted them.

Cons:
1. My son is clingy and jealous and I'm not sure if he'd take a baby very well

2. Three kids under 1....

3. I'm feeling awfully anxious at the thought of another baby in the house.

I'm thinking of cancelling the interview and going with another solution.
I have a couple other employment possibilities that could make taking another daycare kid a moot point--DH might be getting a second job, if he doesn't get that then *I* am going to apply for a job in the evenings. The second job would pay more than this family is making BUT I'd be working looooong hours (although 6 of them would be out of the house).

Well, that's over already, lol. They got here 15 minutes early--could be a first for me, lol, usually I have no shows! I showed them around and we sat down to chat and the mom said first thing that they didn't think it would work because of my location--they thought something different w/ regards to proximity to dad's work. She went on to say that they didn't want to leave me hangning though so they decided to come on in and take a look around. I said that I appreciated their honesty and that they came anyway!

Again thanks for everyone's advice and help

Blackcat31 08:07 AM 05-30-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Situation:
This afternoon I have an interview for a 6 week old little girl. The current kids in my care are 4.5 years and 12 mos (both mine) and 4 years, 3.5 years, and 9.5 mos.

Pros:

1. I need more income and this spot NEEDS filled (or I need a different solution

2. babies sleep a lot (she might not be a "sleepy baby"..my last baby NEVER slept.)

3. The family is willing to pay the high rate I quoted them. (Yah!!)

Cons:
1. My son is clingy and jealous and I'm not sure if he'd take a baby very well Wonder if he would be a good "helper" since a baby so young is a lot of work and not really a "person" in the kids' eyes yet until the abby is able to really interact with them...kwim?

2. Three kids under 1.... (But a little one will take a few months until they are old enough to really keep you busy....unless they are a non-sleeper (see above) so the other kids would be long over 1 when the new one starts to need more care.)

3. I'm feeling awfully anxious at the thought of another baby in the house. (see above)

I'm thinking of cancelling the interview and going with another solution.
I have a couple other employment possibilities that could make taking another daycare kid a moot point--DH might be getting a second job, if he doesn't get that then *I* am going to apply for a job in the evenings. The second job would pay more than this family is making BUT I'd be working looooong hours (although 6 of them would be out of the house).

I answered in bold above too.

I would atleast do the interview and maybe even offer a two week trial period so you can see how it will be or could be. If it is tooo troublesome or something else works out in your favor, you could always cancel after the two weeks.
SunshineMama 09:49 AM 05-30-2012
IMHO I would not take a 6 week old. My 18 mo dd is clingy too and would make my life miserable if I had a baby dck. Also, you will have the added stress of SIDS, you can never have a break. And, what if the baby wants to be held all the time and isn't a sleeper?
MyAngels 10:42 AM 05-30-2012
The baby could be a wonderful ray of sunshine, and possibly help your little guy to be a little bit more independent. You'll never know unless you at least do the interview.

The two week trial period is an excellent idea, and might keep you from having to get a second job.
momofsix 10:50 AM 05-30-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I answered in bold above too.

I would atleast do the interview and maybe even offer a two week trial period so you can see how it will be or could be. If it is tooo troublesome or something else works out in your favor, you could always cancel after the two weeks.
great thoughts!
wdmmom 11:15 AM 05-30-2012
I would do the interview and get find out more information.

Maybe this family won't be a good fit anyway. You never know until you interview.

During the interview, get more details on what baby's typical day is...how much eating, how much sleeping, etc.

I offer a 4 week trial period to all new incoming families. A trial period is a great way to find out if the family will overall be a good fit, if they're going to follow your policies, pay on time and if the baby will get acclimated to your program.

I also think it would be a great idea to expose your own child to not being #1 all the time (just my honest opinion). A baby could make him become a little more self sufficient and give you a bit of a break too!
sharlan 11:17 AM 05-30-2012
I know that I wouldn't be able to handle 3 under 1. I spend too much time holding and feeding that I would feel that the others wouldn't get enough attention.
MarinaVanessa 11:22 AM 05-30-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I would do the interview and get find out more information.

Maybe this family won't be a good fit anyway. You never know until you interview.

During the interview, get more details on what baby's typical day is...how much eating, how much sleeping, etc.

I offer a 4 week trial period to all new incoming families. A trial period is a great way to find out if the family will overall be a good fit, if they're going to follow your policies, pay on time and if the baby will get acclimated to your program.

I also think it would be a great idea to expose your own child to not being #1 all the time (just my honest opinion). A baby could make him become a little more self sufficient and give you a bit of a break too!
I think that wdmmom makes some great points. Why not do the interview to get a feel for them and if you just aren't ready to make a decision or they just aren't a great fit then you just give them the 'ol "I have another interview (or interviews) scheduled for later in the week. Once completed I'll get back to you with my final decision" line. This will give you at least a few days to really hone in on what you're feeling.

During the interview you can see what your own DS's reaction will be to you interacting with another small baby which could possibly make your decision easier to make.
SilverSabre25 11:25 AM 05-30-2012
Thanks everyone, you all have great points. I'm going ahead with the interview but with my eyes wide open and I will think long and hard before accepting the child into care. I do a trial period anyway.

DS has had plenty of time (6 months) of not being number 1...he's 12 mos old and has shared me from birth, and shared me with another baby since January. The jealousy and clinging are both new and probably a phase...but still something I have to consider.

And I guess it's not really 3 under 1 since he turns one this week, but it will still be three under 13 months which is not much different :P

Thanks for the advice to ask plenty of questions on baby's current habits (though once stated, they are bound to change tomorrow!). It's been a while since I interviewed for an infant.

I put in an application for the second job today as well as an application for a work-from-home position (that doesn't interfere with daycare hours). DH got a call this morning for a second job for HIM and interviews tomorrow. ANY of the second jobs will pay more than a single daycare client, so we'll jsut have to see.
Lilbutterflie 11:28 AM 05-30-2012
If you take the newborn, you would technically be dealing with 3 groups of ages: your preschooler 3-4 group; toddler 9 mo & 12 mo; and the potential newborn. I know my limits; and I just don't think I could do it. Each set can be demanding on their own, but all 3 combined would be A LOT to handle. If it were me, I'd look for a toddler or preschooler to better fit with the group.
SilverSabre25 12:30 PM 05-30-2012
UPDATE

I posted this above but thought I'd add it down here just in case

Well, that's over already, lol. They got here 15 minutes early--could be a first for me, lol, usually I have no shows! I showed them around and we sat down to chat and the mom said first thing that they didn't think it would work because of my location--they thought something different w/ regards to proximity to dad's work. She went on to say that they didn't want to leave me hangning though so they decided to come on in and take a look around. I said that I appreciated their honesty and that they came anyway!

Lilbutterflie 12:50 PM 05-30-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
UPDATE

I posted this above but thought I'd add it down here just in case

LOL! See, God took care of it for you! It was not meant to be.
Tags:interview
Reply Up