Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Has Cat Allergies?
Ella.Nayeli 07:20 AM 01-09-2012
I just got a new child and today is his first day. I was told by his parents that he had a mild cat allergy and that my (newly) outdoor cat was fine. My cat is no longer inside but he was an indoor/outdoor cat and he's short hair. He wasn't here for 10 minutes and he got red on his arms and developed hives. I'm worried even though they did go away. Should I let his parents know and see what they say or should I just let them know I'm not comfortable with his allergies?
Ariana 09:19 AM 01-09-2012
Did he visit with you before you signed him on or did the parents just tell you today about his allergies?

If the hives went away I would let the parents know and then monitor him closely. Depending on his age they may be able to provide some Claritin or something in case it gets worse. I used to have a full-time DCG who had mild allergies to everything. I kept Claritin on hand when she was really having issues with hives etc. but it wasn't every day so we could never pinpoint what was causing it.
Lianne 10:26 AM 01-09-2012
I'd let them know and suggest he be monitored for worsening or ongoing symptoms. I'm allergic to cats but once my system is used to one, I don't react often. I own four cats but they only bother me during high allergy season and my discomfort is minimal. But if I visit friends with a cat, I often will react after an hour or so.
Ella.Nayeli 11:16 AM 01-09-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Did he visit with you before you signed him on or did the parents just tell you today about his allergies?

If the hives went away I would let the parents know and then monitor him closely. Depending on his age they may be able to provide some Claritin or something in case it gets worse. I used to have a full-time DCG who had mild allergies to everything. I kept Claritin on hand when she was really having issues with hives etc. but it wasn't every day so we could never pinpoint what was causing it.
Yes they did a visitation and that's when I told the parents about the cat. They thought he would be fine. They actually don't believe in medicine it goes against their religion. I know it might not be a big deal however I'm still nervous about this.
Ella.Nayeli 11:19 AM 01-09-2012
I've actually been letting the cat in for an hour every day or so since where I'm at the weather has been extremelly wet and cold. He's used to being an indoor cat and he's barely getting used to being outside all day.
youretooloud 11:46 AM 01-09-2012
Originally Posted by Ella.Nayeli:
I've actually been letting the cat in for an hour every day or so since where I'm at the weather has been extremelly wet and cold. He's used to being an indoor cat and he's barely getting used to being outside all day.

Why is he an outdoor cat now?
sharlan 11:51 AM 01-09-2012
I don't know where you live, but cats are generally an indoor animal. Too many predators and dangers out there for them.

You need to let the parents know that the child is having an adverse reaction to the cat. Your home may not be the right environment for him
Ella.Nayeli 11:52 AM 01-09-2012
Idk he just chooses to be outside. Lol He doesn't like to come in except to eat.
Ella.Nayeli 12:12 PM 01-09-2012
Generally their outdoor here. Idk why my cat is outside he just chooses to be? lol. He doesn't really like to be inside he'll cry till we let him out so now he just comes in to eat.
Tags:allergies, cats
Reply Up