Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>UGH SO frustrating!
LadyK8 06:49 AM 08-22-2014
I have a 2-year old here who will not play. I tell him to "go play," but he would rather sit and stare at me than play. What do I do?

I'm really lost here. I don't want him to sit around all day, and I want him to learn how to freeplay outside of me directing him.
Blackcat31 07:04 AM 08-22-2014
All you can do is provide the environment. You can't make him play.

You can role model play and show him how to use toys and materials but you can't make him.

If he wants to sit and watch you, let him. But make a huge deal out of how nice the other kids are playing and how much fun they are having.

If it's a matter of him not really understanding "how" to play, then like I said, role model it for him. You do it, then tell him, "now you" and have him replicate the actions you just did. (i.e. driving a car up and down a ramp, rolling a ball)

He'll get it. Just stay routine, continue telling him to go play and continue supporting the other kids while they play. He'll eventually see that the others are doing what is expected of them and he will too.

For a kid, the instinct to be social ad play is too great... we just have to sometimes show them that instinct is there and it's ok to listen.

With this new generation of screen kids, it's all too common to see/hear about issues with kids just sitting and not knowing what to do. Seems they are waiting for the entertainment to happen by itself. They don't realize, THEY have to do it.
LadyK8 07:06 AM 08-22-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

You can role model play and show him how to use toys and materials but you can't make him.

If he wants to sit and watch you, let him. But make a huge deal out of how nice the other kids are playing and how much fun they are having.

If it's a matter of him not really understanding "how" to play, then like I said, role model it for him. You do it, then tell him, "now you" and have him replicate the actions you just did. (i.e. driving a car up and down a ramp, rolling a ball)

He'll get it. Just stay routine, continue telling hi to go play and continue supporting the other kids while they play. He'll eventually see that the others are doing what is expected of them ad he will too. For a kid, the instinct to be social ad play is too great... we just have to sometimes show them that instinct is there and it's ok to listen.

With this new generation of screen kids, it's all too common to see/hear about issues with kids just sitting and not knowing what to do. Seems they are waiting for the entertainment to happen by itself. They don't realize, THEY have to do it.
Thank you!
blueskiesbutterflies 07:16 AM 08-22-2014
YES! I have had those kids. It is like they have no idea how to play! You can not make him play. What I did was guide him to an area and give the equipment and the means as to what you are to do. Then I walk away. Eventually, they learn what playing means. I bet he is with adults all the time, tv, and so on...

That has been my experience before...
Shell 07:17 AM 08-22-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

He'll get it. Just stay routine, continue telling hi to go play and continue supporting the other kids while they play. He'll eventually see that the others are doing what is expected of them ad he will too. For a kid, the instinct to be social ad play is too great... we just have to sometimes show them that instinct is there and it's ok to listen.

Totally agree! I had this child, and sometimes she comes back after too many days off. Just stares at me all .day.long. After a few months of praising all the kids for playing, and saying how much fun they are having, she finally joined in. My dcg is an only child, constantly around adults- it just took time for her to feel comfortable.
LadyK8 08:03 AM 08-22-2014
This gives me hope. I direct him and have him model after me all throughout the day, and he hasn't gotten it yet. I have hope that he eventually will.

Thank you guys.
AmyKidsCo 08:44 AM 08-22-2014
Don't water your weeds. If he gets attention for standing and staring he'll keep standing and staring. Ignore him when he's not playing and give the kids who are playing lots of attention.
daycare 08:49 AM 08-22-2014
I has this kid too, I belive that he more than likely had an ipad in his face since coming out of the womb.

the child had no clue how to play toys......

One day I gave him a book and he started screaming at the top of his lungs like someone was killing him. I look to see what is the matter??

He is sitting there trying to push the pictures in the book and they are not doing ANYTHING, so he freaks out.

So sad, the child was just 2.

It took me taking him to the group, showing him how to play, telling his friends to show him how to play with the _____________________________.

it took about a week. We don't have tv or video games so he didn't really have any other choice.
AmyKidsCo 09:19 AM 08-22-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
He is sitting there trying to push the pictures in the book and they are not doing ANYTHING, so he freaks out.
I know it's not really funny, but it kind of is.

I have a 14 mo old whose parents had Elmo & sign language Apps for him when he was 10 mos old.
Laurel 11:09 AM 08-22-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I know it's not really funny, but it kind of is.

I have a 14 mo old whose parents had Elmo & sign language Apps for him when he was 10 mos old.
It is a little funny. Once I had a four year old start and he wanted to know where to 'turn the toy on at'. I told him it didn't have an on/off switch. It was a toy to pretend with. He caught on but wow.

Laurel
melilley 11:17 AM 08-22-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:

One day I gave him a book and he started screaming at the top of his lungs like someone was killing him. I look to see what is the matter??

My cousin is a Kindergarten teacher. She said that there was a child that would sit with a book, but would do the same, try to push the pictures...and that's at the age of 5! Kinda sad.
Blackcat31 12:33 PM 08-22-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:
It is a little funny. Once I had a four year old start and he wanted to know where to 'turn the toy on at'. I told him it didn't have an on/off switch. It was a toy to pretend with. He caught on but wow.

Laurel
Last year, I bought my DCK's an Etch-A-Sketch.

One of my 2.5 yr olds said "It's broken" after thoroughly checking it out.

I also purchased an old school desk phone with a dial.... I put it in the shelf with the other dramatic play stuff and one of my 4 yr old's goes over and carefully (without actually touching it) inspected the entire thing for several minutes.

That was comical.

But then the child stood up, looked at me, looked back at the rotary phone and said "What IS that?"

When I said "It's a phone"

They immediately replied, "No, really...what is it?"
Reply Up