Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Want to Sound Professional
Josiegirl 03:59 AM 08-16-2014
I need to change a dcf's pick up time. It's my own fault but I'm supposed to close at 5:00. I've had this dcf for 4 years now and little by little somehow 5 became 5:30. I'm sure it had nothing to do with my 'oh that's alright' attitude. I really don't mind once in awhile because I understand her job has last minute problems that arise. And her dh started working at a new job, working til 6 so now pick up will be on her shoulders. She did pay me $10 extra for 2 weeks where she was picking up at nearly 6 a couple nights.

So what I need to send home is some kind of notice saying that as of such-n-such a date I will be enforcing my late fees for anything after 5. I don't want to sound harsh or make it all about business. I mean, I do want to help them out if they need me too but don't want to be taken advantage of either.

Thanks for all your help!
Signed,
Wishy-washy Josiegirl
TheGoodLife 04:19 AM 08-16-2014
I'll let someone else help with the wording (too tired to think in a professional tone right now!) but I'd suggest taking out your "I'm willing to help out sometimes" mentality. If you convey that to the DCP, they may very well keep acting the same and expect you to just waive the fees or expectation to PU late as often as they do now- because this is an emergency for them and you are so nice you'll understand Either decide you want all PUs by 5:00, or you don't mind late PUs but will enforce the late fee EVERY time. And stick to that
nannyde 04:19 AM 08-16-2014
They won't agree to it. They get an extra half hour at prime time for free. They aren't going to start paying now.

You are better off just saying you have to close at 5. Discussing late fees can happen when they come after 5.
Josiegirl 05:02 AM 08-16-2014
I know I've let it go on far too long, give an inch and they take...well you know.
We need a 'smack myself upside da head' smilie.
NightOwl 08:05 AM 08-16-2014
Are you licensed? You could totally blame it on licensing, if you are.
Dear dcm,

As per my licensing agent, I must have all children picked up by 5pm. Having children in my care outside of my licensed hours could cause me to receive a deficiency on my record with the state.
I'm terribly sorry, dcm. But it seems my hands are tied.

If you are not licensed, how about this:

Dear dcm,
Due to my responsibilities to my own family, I will no longer be able to provide care beyond 5pm. We often have appointments, events, games, plans in the evenings that require my attention. I hope you understand and thank you in advance.
Blackcat31 08:40 AM 08-16-2014
It is ALWAYS okay to say that you need to change something (a rule/policy) that USED to be okay but is no longer working.

Our clientele changes from time to time and our own family's needs change too so we need to adjust and change our rules and policies to meet those needs when that happens.

Never feel badly about saying "I used to but can't anymore"....

Dear DCP

Beginning September 1, 2014 the child care will be closing at 5:00 P.M. All children must be picked up NO LATER than 5PM to avoid any late fees.

In the past I have allowed extended pick ups beyond closing time but this is no longer something I am able to offer. Please make arrangements to adjust your schedules to accommodate this policy change.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely

Provider

Josiegirl 09:47 AM 08-16-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Are you licensed? You could totally blame it on licensing, if you are.
Dear dcm,

As per my licensing agent, I must have all children picked up by 5pm. Having children in my care outside of my licensed hours could cause me to receive a deficiency on my record with the state.
I'm terribly sorry, dcm. But it seems my hands are tied.

If you are not licensed, how about this:

Dear dcm,
Due to my responsibilities to my own family, I will no longer be able to provide care beyond 5pm. We often have appointments, events, games, plans in the evenings that require my attention. I hope you understand and thank you in advance.
Hmm, I don't think there's anything in regs about that(and she may very well be aware because she kinda works in the human resources type biz) and my family consists of 2 dogs. Lol
I really don't mind doing it with 2 stipulations, she let me know ahead of time and I get compensated for it. I post days when I Have to be closed by 5. I'm going to tweak what BC and Wednesday offered and hope she realizes I'm not being mean or greedy about it. I just don't like the assumption that I'll do it any ole time KWIM?
Thanks everybody! And also for saying it IS okay to change our way of doing things.
NightOwl 10:42 AM 08-16-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Hmm, I don't think there's anything in regs about that(and she may very well be aware because she kinda works in the human resources type biz) and my family consists of 2 dogs. Lol
I really don't mind doing it with 2 stipulations, she let me know ahead of time and I get compensated for it. I post days when I Have to be closed by 5. I'm going to tweak what BC and Wednesday offered and hope she realizes I'm not being mean or greedy about it. I just don't like the assumption that I'll do it any ole time KWIM?
Thanks everybody! And also for saying it IS okay to change our way of doing things.
Of course it is. It's your business. In Alabama, that's very much true. We are licensed for a certain time frame and will be cited for a deficiency if we are found to have children in our care after closing. That's why I'm a Nazi about late fees. The very first time you don't charge them after issuing your notice, you'll be in the same boat you're in now. They'll think it's Ok all over again and start bending your rules. Stay strong!

Let us know what you come up with!
TheGoodLife 11:28 AM 08-16-2014
I would add something along the lines of "I may be able to extend daycare hours to 5:30 for the late fee of $10, provided I am available and that you have asked with a minimum of 72 hour notice." Something that gives specific guidelines and reiterates that it must be requested (not expected) and not necessarily available. I'd even make sure to say no at times so they don't take it for granted. Hope it all works out in your favor.
sugar buzz 11:45 AM 08-16-2014
You could also allude to the fact that you're closing at your ORIGINAL time of 5:00. This would make note that this was really your closing time all along.
Blackcat31 01:41 PM 08-16-2014
If you KNOW that DCM doesn't REALLY need to pick up later than 5:00. Don't even give her the option of doing it.

She's an adult with a child...that means she will need to figure it out.

We ALL do.

If she REALLY does need an occasional pick up after 5:00, set up some sort of agreement where she MUST call you 20-15 minutes prior to ASK you if she can pick up after 5:00. If you have plans, she can arrange to have a friend or family member come pick up,

Charge her $5 for EVERY 15 minute portion of time after 5:00 she uses.

If she doesn't call and just picks up late, charge her $1 per minute.
Raise the late fee to $2 per minute the second time she forgets /fails to call. Do $3 the third time etc etc. etc. (I term at 3rd instance but that is up to you)

With a plan, you will know with at least a little advance warning that she will be late AND you'll make a couple extra dollars depending on how late she is.

Plus if she doesn't call you can treat it like any other act of disrespect and apply a late fee.

You can change the rules and start enforcing something you didn't before without sounding bitchy or rude. Like I said, just state that you had no issues doing it before but aren't able to accommodate as easily as before thus the new rule.
NightOwl 03:34 PM 08-16-2014
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife:
I would add something along the lines of "I may be able to extend daycare hours to 5:30 for the late fee of $10, provided I am available and that you have asked with a minimum of 72 hour notice." Something that gives specific guidelines and reiterates that it must be requested (not expected) and not necessarily available. I'd even make sure to say no at times so they don't take it for granted. Hope it all works out in your favor.

Josiegirl 03:24 AM 08-26-2014
Wow, I've got to do something soon. This dcm is now blatantly taking advantage of me and my generosity. I need to confront her personally and I hate confrontations. Everything I say comes out wrong and I don't want to offend her.
I told her that I'd be willing to work over with advance notice if an emergency in her work came up. And I really care about dcg but after spending all day with her, I'd like to reclaim my life and house back at my regular closing time.
Last straw was yesterday she came bouncing in at 5:15(I close at 5), with older child. His 1st day of school was yesterday, they had gone shoe shopping. So she picked up ds from school, went shopping, and still came 15 minutes late to pick up dcg.
Now to find the right time to talk with her. I was going to include it in a newsletter but she'll know it's meant just for her anyways. Might as well just tell her and get it over with instead of letting it fester inside me.
Play Care 03:35 AM 08-26-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Wow, I've got to do something soon. This dcm is now blatantly taking advantage of me and my generosity. I need to confront her personally and I hate confrontations. Everything I say comes out wrong and I don't want to offend her.
I told her that I'd be willing to work over with advance notice if an emergency in her work came up. And I really care about dcg but after spending all day with her, I'd like to reclaim my life and house back at my regular closing time.
Last straw was yesterday she came bouncing in at 5:15(I close at 5), with older child. His 1st day of school was yesterday, they had gone shoe shopping. So she picked up ds from school, went shopping, and still came 15 minutes late to pick up dcg.
Now to find the right time to talk with her. I was going to include it in a newsletter but she'll know it's meant just for her anyways. Might as well just tell her and get it over with instead of letting it fester inside me.
I think you need to stop worrying about being nice and professional at this point. You need to get ANGRY. Mom should have been met at the door with your hand out - for hefty late fees. She WENT SHOPPING rather than pick her child up on time. She's basically giving you a middle finger. What are you going to do about it?!
Reply Up