Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Receiving payment....
knoxmomof2 03:53 PM 08-27-2014
Hi ladies, new here although I've been browsing for a bit. I am in TN, so I'm not required to be licensed as long as I have less than 5 kids in my care. I currently have 3, and may add a 4th after the youngest turns a year. Here's my question:

I have a dcb whose parents are not together. Even before the split, payment is sometimes touch and go. I've been too nice, especially when Dad was deployed recently and just let her pay me when she decided to during the week. I know, bad idea.... Too nice..

I am going to remind them about Monday AM payment, but here's my question : on Monday AM, how do you handle collecting payment (especially when they're slow payers so you know they'll try to skip out) ? Do you hit them up at the door first thing ? Do you give them so long to drop their child off first? Etc. I want to "re-train" them that I will refuse drop off if no payment, but I don't want to have the kid settle in and then have to threaten that. Thoughts? TIA!
NightOwl 04:03 PM 08-27-2014
Welcome! I'm in northern Alabama, so we're neighbors. Have your considered a Friday evening payment? That way, if they dont pay on Friday evening, you can stop them at the door Monday morning and say nope, I'm sorry, but I didn't receive your payment on Friday. And now I must have that payment and my late fees paid in full before your child returns. Don't forget that late fees accrue every day! Buh bye!

If you do that once and charge a decent late fee, I bet it will be the last time they try to skip out.
LysesKids 04:21 PM 08-27-2014
I am in TN also and I do Friday pay by 6pm; I have a no pay, no stay policy... no pay Friday for the following week, you become a Drop-in client by Monday morning lol. No cash @ Monday drop-in (at the higher drop-in rate), you are sent packing... never had an issue once they realized I don't have a late payment option.

I also get their schedules on Fridays because I hate calls late on Sunday night, " oh we won't be there until 10:30 am"... So sorry, kid missed outdoor time, they will eat 11am lunch and then nap at noon

BTW, I am just outside Knoxville in Blount Co
knoxmomof2 06:27 PM 08-27-2014
Thanks for the replies Sounds like Friday pay is the way to go! I will be notifying them tomorrow.

I'm not far from you then, I'm in Knoxville!
NightOwl 04:18 AM 08-28-2014
I have a dear friend who grew up in Knoxville! She lives here now, but must of her extended family is still there.
LysesKids 04:33 AM 08-28-2014
I figured it out from the name lol... I do infants & "tweenies" only under 2 years old.
Unregistered 06:30 AM 08-30-2014
Love Knoxville! We've been here 8 years. The ridges seem to protect us from a lot of the bad weather.

I have dcb, almost 3; dcg, just turned 2 and dcg, alnost 1. I will have been doing this 2 years in Oct, so I've only recently decided my age range: infants to 2, starting age. I'll keep them past that if they start with me early. I've not had a young baby yet- all mine were 8-11 months when they started here.
knoxmomof2 06:31 AM 08-30-2014
That's me above, PS. Forgot to log in before posting. Duh! Lol..
LysesKids 09:58 AM 08-30-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Love Knoxville! We've been here 8 years. The ridges seem to protect us from a lot of the bad weather.

I have dcb, almost 3; dcg, just turned 2 and dcg, alnost 1. I will have been doing this 2 years in Oct, so I've only recently decided my age range: infants to 2, starting age. I'll keep them past that if they start with me early. I've not had a young baby yet- all mine were 8-11 months when they started here.
Are you the other provider on CL that has the ad for 0-2's ? I have seen 3 of us, but only one posts semi regularly - I'm in Alcoa/Louisville
I'm doing a date night for ages 1-6 tonight lol
Reply Up